HMB Endeavour by BANYAN - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1:60 - circa 1768

That's a relief Pat :D .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Thanks for pointing that out Danny; appreciate you looking in and keeping a weatherly eye.

cheers

Pat  :cheers:

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

G'day Pat

I've just found out an very interesting point about the Union Jack before 1781. Attached is the first Union Jack that Cook flew when he claimed Australia for the British.

Though you might be interested. Notice that the Irish cross is missing.

Cheers

Greg

post-16911-0-38341000-1422838874.gif

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Thanks Greg - I was aware of this one as the kit had the wrong flags; I got a replacement set from Float-A-Boat here in Melbourne.

cheers and thanks for sharing.

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

G'day John

I was aware of it. The flag I showed was Australia's first flag, it was only used until 1801, that is when the present day Union Jack was used.

Greg

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Pat. Been going over your log here, and your Endeavour is looking great. Really like your shop. Still in the process of setting mine up, but because of a lack of space in this apartment, extra precautions have to be dealt with. Sometime this fall I expect to be about done though. Hope you don't mind my following along.

Cheers  :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks mate; appreciate you looking in.  The shop took a while and I am almost completely  set-up now ready to enjoy the retirement years.

Thanks Mike; great to have you visit again :)

cheers

Pat

• 1 month later...

Well folks, a long overdue update :)

I am back to the point (plus a little more)  of where I wast at before discovering the issues with the scaling of my upper spars.  The following photos show the comparative scale (size) difference of the error and a couple of "not good enough" efforts, and a shot of where I am at.  The dowel is a temporary fit until the yards are manufactured and there only to put a little structure into the jeer blocks and associated rigging.

post-385-0-95303900-1428124668_thumb.jpg   post-385-0-84229300-1428124685_thumb.jpg

I have also been busy drawing up the plans and doing some of the work on the Club's build of HMCSS Victoria shown below.  there is still some tidy-up work needed on the copper plates (in places).

post-385-0-34193900-1428124698_thumb.jpg

cheers

Pat

Nice recovery, Pat.  And the Victoria is looking sharp.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Pat,

I'm a late arrival.....simply amazing build and wonderfully detailed explanations.

Thanks so much for taking the time to document your progress....logs like these are invaluable to new builders like myself.

Boyd 

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

Glad to see you're back at it Pat. 

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Thanks all, the encouragement is greatly appreciated. I am trying to divide my time between the Endeavour, Victoria and the preparatory work for my resin model (HMAS Vampire).  The latter has taken a lot of research time (very much assisted by John - Jim Lad) in getting the details for 3D replacement parts of the entire superstructure sorted.

I have decided to put a little more emphasis on Endeavour for the next few weeks in the hope of getting the majority of the standing rigging  (minus yards and ratlines) completed by the end of this month - but don't hold me to that ;)

cheers

Pat

• 3 weeks later...

It's enough to make a grown man cry (well almost) - minor disaster!

Just as I was making good progress (as evidenced in the following photo which includes the damage) I made a clumsy move and caught the edge of the foremast lower platform/top snapping all the futtock shroud hooks (plastic ones from Chuck) and breaking trestletrees.  The lucky part (if you call this luck) is that the breaks forward were clean and the after crosstree came clear without damage.  I was still in the process of rigging the Main Stay and Preventer tackles (which was the item at the centre of this disaster) so, if the regluing looks OK /acceptable when dry tomorrow, I should be able to get by with  only replacing the futtock shrouds and hooks - everything else can stay in place.

post-385-0-64295700-1429674879_thumb.jpg

Chuck's plastic hooks look good and will hold the shrouds in normal circumstances; but, as you can see, they are very prone to snap if too much pressure is exerted.  This won't stop me using them for the smaller hooks but I will use scratch made for the rest of the hooks where a load is applied.

Oh well another few days lost (unless the glue experiment looks bad/does not hold and then it will be a lost week or so as I will have to strip down the foremast tp the lower mast and redo the top and  then re-rig.

post-385-0-84571100-1429674909_thumb.jpg  post-385-0-60930600-1429674890_thumb.jpg  post-385-0-75836000-1429674899_thumb.jpg

Lesson of the day - WATCH what you are doing and where your arm is :)

Edited by BANYAN

Pat,

This is terrible.  I'm hoping the glue will hold.  Is there enough material left that things might be pinned for added strength?  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that the glue holds.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks to all for looking in. 

Mark - Me too!!!!! :)  There might be enough meat to add pins but I think if the glue doesn't hold, I will dismantle and redo.

You're very kind in your wording John - the expletives were a tad stronger ;) - and a broken magnifier which bore the brunt of my displeasure :)

cheers

Pat

G'day Pat

What a disaster. I'm glad to know, not to use plastic hooks!

Next time try not to be too 'armless. Lol

Cheers mate

Greg

Hate to hear of mishaps Pat, but hope the glue holds and looks good, so you can move on without a whole lot of extra work. 

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

the same thing happened to me with my Victory.. two steps forward one back. And I also found that Chucks hooks snap under tension. so care is needed.

Keep up with the fantastic work.

Damn, and other expletives :( . Good luck with the repair.

I have some of Chuck's hooks too, but decided against using them - they were a bit too small for my scale in any case. I had the feeling they could be a bit vulnerable.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

sorry to hear about the damage Pat.......I hope the repair goes smoothly  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Whoops, seems as if you're having lots of trouble with those masts. I too have Chuck's hooks, they are so tiny that I can't thread them, even with my younger eyes. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Well folks,  I am a little happier today as I have been able to recover the disaster without a major re-rigging of the foremast.

I was able to remove the futtock shrouds and redo them  but I had to sacrifice the deadeye lanyards in order to get the tension on the futtock shrouds as good as I could.  I just hope I have enough of that size scale rope for the remaining shrouds.

I used Chuck's hooks again so they matched the other hooks I have used on the shrouds but everything else is scratch built metal hooks.  In some ways, the fact these hooks sheared was a bit of a blessing I think as the damage could have been worse if they didn't?

There is one small area where the repair is visible but it is under the top and well recessed and only the most ardent  rivet counter would notice it I think (circled in the photo). 

At 1:60 this was a fiddly repair job.  I made the repairs in situ using a hypodermic needle to inject white PVA into the sheared sections - as these were a longitudinal braek (with the grain) I thought there would be sufficient strength in the joint.  I cleaned up the after trestle/cross trees and applied PVA liberally.  I cleaned up with a moistened tissue after I had set in place and clamped - came up better than I had hoped.

post-385-0-37035700-1429849963_thumb.jpg  post-385-0-55090200-1429849977_thumb.jpg  post-385-0-68977100-1429849952_thumb.jpg 

Thanks all for looking in and the supportive comments - much appreciated.

cheers

Pat