HMB Endeavour by BANYAN - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1:60 - circa 1768

Glad you were able to save and bring her back to her original glory Pat. Nice! 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

nice recovery Pat......very nicely done!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for looking in one and all; nice to have that support behind you when you experience these 'issues'.  While this instance is not as bad as some other modellers have experienced/related here, for me it was heartbreaking at the time - that is now the 'three' out of the way I hope ;)

Boyd, you can never be too careful :)  Danny has opened a very useful thread on correcting oopsies, some of the detail helped me in deciding what to do about this one.  The big lesson learned here (apart from being less clumsy) was to take a short break (no pun intended) away from the model to calm down and determine what the actual issue is then look for all possible solutions.  When I first saw the damage my immediate reaction was that OH NO!  another rebuild coming up.  However, when I looked at the extent of the damage and assessed the 'real' issues,  it was possible to break the problem into manageable areas - in this case:

1.  remove the old futtock shrouds and deadeye lanyards.

2.  reglue the breaks on the trees (these were longitudinal and with the grain so should hold) and apply clamping pressure

3.  redo the futtock shrouds and relace the lanyards

4.  re-tension the crowsfeet where I had to manoeuvre the clamps in and out.

et voila - a reasonable repair that I can live with :)  The very close-up photography has highlighted a few craftsmanship issues that I will need to address in future builds  :blush:

The bonus (if you wish to call it that) is that I can revisit the topmast stays and preventers and add the mouse detail that Steve (shipaholic) has found (using Elastoplast) which nicely mimics the woven finish.

Thanks again all

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Pat,

Excellent recovery and great tips on how to recover.   I'm happy you didn't have to do a massive rebuild.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for looking in one and all; nice to have that support behind you when you experience these 'issues'.  While this instance is not as bad as some other modellers have experienced/related here, for me it was heartbreaking at the time - that is now the 'three' out of the way I hope ;)

Boyd, you can never be too careful :)  Danny has opened a very useful thread on correcting oopsies, some of the detail helped me in deciding what to do about this one.  The big lesson learned here (apart from being less clumsy) was to take a short break (no pun intended) away from the model to calm down and determine what the actual issue is then look for all possible solutions.  When I first saw the damage my immediate reaction was that OH NO!  another rebuild coming up.  However, when I looked at the extent of the damage and assessed the 'real' issues,  it was possible to break the problem into manageable areas - in this case:

1.  remove the old futtock shrouds and deadeye lanyards.

2.  reglue the breaks on the trees (these were longitudinal and with the grain so should hold) and apply clamping pressure

3.  redo the futtock shrouds and relace the lanyards

4.  re-tension the crowsfeet where I had to manoeuvre the clamps in and out.

et voila - a reasonable repair that I can live with :)  The very close-up photography has highlighted a few craftsmanship issues that I will need to address in future builds  :blush:

The bonus (if you wish to call it that) is that I can revisit the topmast stays and preventers and add the mouse detail that Steve (shipaholic) has found (using Elastoplast) which nicely mimics the woven finish.

Thanks again all

Pat

Pat,

I really appreciate you taking the time to give us more details on the steps you took to recover.

I've captured many of your pictures and narratives in my archives.

Coming from a very unforgiving profession (Information Technology), I learned many years ago that “The Devil is in the Details”...can't do enough research and planning...and it looks like this applies to wooden ship building as well.

Great advise on your part...step back and think it through before you jump.

I spend hours and hours reading logs like yours and preparing for each step on my build (my first) and still I find myself up to my elbows in alligators  :)   

But the nice part is I have no deadlines to meet…just taking my time and having fun.

Thanks again for your excellent build log  :)

Boyd

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

No problems Boyd, that is what this site is all about - I have learned so much from others on this forum including Chuck, Russ, Danny, Jim Lad, Druxey and man others. Without this site I think the modelling world would be all the poorer.

cheers

Pat

Amen to that Pat.

This forum has helped me a lot and I'm so pleased I'm one it's proud members.

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

• 5 months later...

Nice recovery and great looking build!  I have been looking at some of the plastic hooks that you used that broke.  Question to you, was it just the excesive force that caused the break, or do you think they are a weak point being plastic once under some stress? 

Current build: MS Sultana; Corel Endeavour

Previous builds: MS Phantom

Under the bench: MS Syren; MS Bluenose II

Hi Byron, in all honesty I think a bit of both.  Chuck is very open as to their purpose and I don't thing he intended them for this use, more for gun tackles etc where there is no force.  that said, I have redone them with the plastic hooks and they have held; even with the additional stresses applied during 'rattlin' (see following post).  If you are careful they should hold unless you are applying a lot of 'load' (strain).

Thanks for looking in.

cheers

Pat

Hi all, a long overdue update.  I have been busy with life (health issues), revamping my workshop and working on our club's build of HMCSS Victoria (see separate post) but have had time to progress.

I have completed the 'rattlin' of the lower shrouds on the port side and working across the upper shrouds.  I am using a template (see photo) which at scale provides 13" separation. Some of you may have noted my query re ratline sequence/pattern in a separate post/forum.  In the end I followed James Lees description in his great reference " The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War1625-1860"  which is essentially what the replica has done with some minor adaptions which I have also applied.  His reference is based on contemporary models in the NMM and while there are difference between ships in this era, it is anyone's guess what pattern was actually used :)

I have also started rigging the shroud cleats - what a pain in the xxxx :(   I have tried various techniques and having had advice from Dan Vad and Greg Lester (thanks guys), still had problems holding these 'slippery little suckers' in place while securing them to a shroud.  even CA would not hold.  In the end I finally had some success using a tiny dab of CA on a half hitch around the base of each leg of the cleat (see photo), then half-hitching these and applying a dab of PVA to the hitch to temporarily hold them in place while I finish the hitches.  The PVA them leeches into the completed hitch and 'et voila'

cheers

Pat (and my 1000th post :) )

post-385-0-34801100-1444548835_thumb.jpg   post-385-0-78278900-1444548823_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-54372900-1444548840_thumb.jpg   post-385-0-82185700-1444548845_thumb.jpg

Edited by BANYAN

Thanks Greg, appreciate you looking in; and the many others for their likes.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Another question or two for you Pat, and sorry if the answers are listed someplace earlier in the build log, but I checked twice and can not see them....

I see that you replaced all (or at least most) of the rigging that came with the kit.  I really do not like the all tan approach that Corel supplies the kit with and and would much rather do the correct black standing rigging and tan running rigging. 

So the first question is, did you happen to keep track of what sizes and amounts you ordered / made?

Secondly, did you follow the suggested Corel rigging or something else? I have a copy of the excellent Bark Endeavour book and plans by Ray Parkin, and while I haven't examined them in detail (as rigging in a LONG way in my future) it appears to have slight differences.

Thanks

Byron

Current build: MS Sultana; Corel Endeavour

Previous builds: MS Phantom

Under the bench: MS Syren; MS Bluenose II

looking really sweet Pat......yea,  gotta hate those 'anti 3M' moments {I hate it when things don't stick}  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hi Byron, no problems taking questions mate, that is what these logs are all about :)

My kit was the Artesena Latina (AL) but probably not that much different wrt their content.

I stopped using all AL parts and accessories about 2/3s way through the hull build, so all my rigging and deck furniture etc is either scratch or after market.  My rigging is a combo of Morope (tan) and home made (black).  I had already purchased the Morope before acquiring my rope walk so I was compelled to use it or waste my money - easy choice :)

Essentially, I used the rigging calculator (spreadsheet) developed by members JimLad and DanVad which is available on this site.  I simply rounded up and down the calculated sizes and simplified the range to 4 tan and 5 black sizes, and applied the general rule of diminishing rope size the higher in the rigging.  So while not absolutely scale correct, it should be close.

As to references, I have not bothered with the AL instructions at all.  I have basically used the AOTS book Capt. Cookes Endeavour by Karl Marquardt as my primary guide, but where there have been obvious or contentious issues I have also used the Replica, Ray Parkin and the feedback of some of our members to steer me.  James Lees (The Masting and  Rigging of English Warships)  has also been very useful.  In a nutshell, there will be difference to other builds; this is simply my interpretation.

FYI - Ray Parkin and Karl Marquardt were members of our club and there were some interesting debates about the differences in ship construction/fittings and rigging :)  Yes, there are differences between these authors interpretations, and with the NMM plans, the replica rigging  etc - although the vast majority of the rigging is generally the agreed.  Have a peek at MSW members Greg Lester Mike C and Shipaholic build logs to read of some of the issues that have arisen.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Hi Pat, magnificent job with the repair work and the "ratting" I am ratting too. will post pics soon.

cheers Mike

Thanks Popeye, Mike, Brian and Mark for looking in - appreciate the interest.

Having fun with the rattlin Mike :)  a tad tedious huh?

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

• 3 weeks later...

I think "ratting" is the closest thing us guys get to knitting. :-)

Edited by mikec

• 1 month later...

Well the 'knitting' is now done with all ratlines finished :)  That is milestone completed and another started with a good start made on the jib and spritsail yards.

post-385-0-71357600-1451118691_thumb.jpg  post-385-0-13406800-1451118719_thumb.jpg  post-385-0-45321200-1451118794_thumb.jpg

cheers

Pat

Looks great, Pat and that is a big milestone...   :cheers:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for looking in folks and the comments Mark and John - appreciate the interest and encouragement.

cheers

Pat

Pat,

The Endeavour is beautiful...... and then the rigging is another chapter itself!

I just realized I am missing a book in my library, a book shown in the second to last picture for the moment.

Anatomy of the Ship - Endeavour

Btw, how's the summer?

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Thanks again to all those whom have looked in and "liked' - appreciate you dropping by.

Hi Per great to see you drop in; thanks for your very positive comments.  The AOTS has been very helpful with this build.  It's going to be a very hot summer this year; lucky for us a cooler Christmas as we have some major bushfires just down the road from us on the "Great Ocean Road" with some 120 properties/homes lost already; the cooler weather had allowed the firefighters a little respite to try and control it.  Warming up again later this week - we have already had a couple of days in the 4o+ Cel. range - good excuse for a couple of 'frosties' (beers) ;)

cheers

Pat

ratlines look great Pat........nice view of the ship  ;)     stay safe and have a great new year........trust you had equally a good Christmas  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks Popeye, ditto. I also hope you and your family had a great festive season and have much to look forward to in 2016.

cheers

Pat

You too mate - 2016 will have to be better - now retired :)

cheers

Pat