Bismarck by Kevin - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/200 - PLASTIC

Ahoy Wackowolf  :D

Something in a 1/50 scale with a cutaway would be a very cool kit. These guns were amazing

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

my comment was not meant to be sharp.........with a kit this size......where do you start?  :)       I'm sure you have plenty of ideas,  and so much can be done to enhance the beauty of this fine kit.   I used to work with plastic,  so I know where your coming from.   when I started working with wooden ships,  I became good friends with the airbrush.  I had tried it earlier when I was younger,  but with smaller kits,  I wasn't too keen on the clean up and upkeep.   check out the Testor's EZ line of airbrushes.....not too much clean up and very easy to use:

Testors » Airbrushes » Airbrushes

I use the 'Amazing Air'  airbrush kit........costs around $30.00.  I adapted it to run it off my large compressor,  and I have been using it for around four years now.   it utilizes the 1/4 oz bottles that the Testors, Humbrol, Pactra {just to name a few} comes in........for clean empty bottles,  I just buy a bunch of the 1/4 oz bottles of thinners,  and I'm good to go.   I have two other airbrushes too.......a gravity feed w/ compressor,  and another siphon feed........haven't even tried them out yet........this crazy little unit hasn't failed me yet :)     just take it slow,  and do all you want to do.   experiment before you commit,  if you have to,  but be sure that the only person who is satisfied,  is you.    these big builds seem to be making a presence here.........this is so cool!

lol - i never took it as being sharp 

i have decided ti start the build on the superstructure, around the smoke stack, lots to do, without the PE kit, and i am enjoying it, today i bought green stuff for the joints,now i need to find the best way of holding PE to the plastic, going to experiment with C/A tonight, i keep reading about Gator grip and various others

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Ahoy Kevin :D

I use 5 minute epoxy for most of my PE. Your parts will never pop off.  It can be thinned with Alcohol and applied similar to Thin cements using capillary action. Or it can be left on a part for a minute or two to "get tacky" before applying it to the model. Cleaning up any excess is also easy with alcohol.

Whatever you use be sure to scuff the PE

Edited by JPett

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

my first working with PE, using C/A at present thsi is part of the smoke stack

post-846-0-06415100-1382725549_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-16337200-1382725619_thumb.jpg

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Ahoy Kevin :D

Your symmetry looks great

The detail on this kit is amazing

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

I've never worked with P.E. either.........I have a friend that does though.  the detail that it gives to the model is fantastic.    Nice!  :)

.....and so,  it begins :cheers:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hey Kevin, by PE I hope you don't mean Plastic Explosive, that would really make it go with a bang. :D  :D :D  :D  :D  :D  

Good luck with this project mate, I'm gonna follow.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Good evening everyone

the funnel area progress, finding i am spending more time worrying about the weathering than the build it's self so have told my self no more painting until i am much further ahead, i am constantly checking build logs to avoid doing to much that i may rip out , the fitting kit that i dont have at present, replaces so much of the original (or should i say enhances a lot of the original)

there are 3 hangers on the build one of them is a double am hoping to be able to do some work so you can possibly see some of the internals 

post-846-0-35477300-1382808557_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-38220200-1382808561_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-85960800-1382808564_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-64668500-1382808568_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-39896100-1382808573_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-86732500-1382808576_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-70175600-1382808580_thumb.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

well....perhaps a lot of that lost info will resurface.   I have a feeling that this build will make for a good read  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hi Kevin,

You are off to a nice start.  I will definitely be following this one.  I would love to do this one at some stage but I have the 1:200 GPM card one on the back burner at the moment. Interestingly I started at the same area you did.  The funnel is such an interesting area.

Not sure if you would be interested in the following link if you are not aware of it already but it is by Anton (Perth_shipyard) who used to be very active on MSW 1.0 with his HMS Diana.

Anyway he is using the KA 1 upgrade kit which I think you are/going to use.

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=144178

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

good morning everyone

thankyou for the comments

you will have to face two options when you come to paint her. I remember a controversy about the swastika on the bow decking and also read that Bismarck had the tops of her turrets painted yellow in Kreigsmarine fashion before her final battle. This was an ongoing argument on MSW1. 

i used to read with interest about this subject, and we have our own views about it, however, i am building a model that represents a piece of history, a moment in time, if and when the time comes and it upsets to many, then i will have to do something about it, and if that means removing my build from MSW then so be it, im not here to open wounds or re visit all the horrors that went on, just putting some plastic together and enjoying doing so,

but thank you for bringing the subject to light again

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Warning! I will be monitoring those split lines front and aft of the funnel!

Be careful!

;-)

Love the parts, Daniel

Edited by dafi

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

Warning! I will monitoring those split lines front and aft of the funnel!

Be careful!

;-)

Love the parts, Daniel

im learning that green stuff is the new version of sawdust, the joints are very good, and have only seen one bit of flash so far, but the spruce joints to the moulded pieces are a bit over thick at times, 

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Hi Kevin,

You are off to a nice start.  I will definitely be following this one.  I would love to do this one at some stage but I have the 1:200 GPM card one on the back burner at the moment. Interestingly I started at the same area you did.  The funnel is such an interesting area.

Not sure if you would be interested in the following link if you are not aware of it already but it is by Anton (Perth_shipyard) who used to be very active on MSW 1.0 with his HMS Diana.

Anyway he is using the KA 1 upgrade kit which I think you are/going to use.

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=144178

Cheers

Slog

i have been reading a few logs, but this is a new one to me, thank you

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Kevin;  Just stumbled upon your build, and it's looking great!  I must say, however, if you are creating a great and accurate model from history, as we all are, why omit the swastika?  The symbol itself has been around much longer than the third reich...  It's all a part of history.  If I were recreating a confederate warship from the 1800's I would include the confederate flag, for realism;  history should not be offensive, we should all educate ourselves and our children in order to prevent the terrible mistakes we've made in the past, and as model ship builders we should embrace the wonderful engineering and design that went into these magnificent vessels;  they all were created by great minds that, In My Humble Opinion, were horrified at how the war mongers ultimately used them to satisfy their own selfish agendas.

That being said, I look forward to your build;  I haven't done plastic since I was a kid, but this looks like a great kit, and It's tempting... ;)

im learning that green stuff is the new version of sawdust, the joints are very good, and have only seen one bit of flash so far, but the spruce joints to the moulded pieces are a bit over thick at times,

Kevin, do you have a set of these? http://www.micromark.com/professional-sprue-cutter,9277.html

They will help immensely.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Kevin, do you have a set of these? http://www.micromark.com/professional-sprue-cutter,9277.html

They will help immensely.

Andy

No i dont - YET

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Kevin;  Just stumbled upon your build, and it's looking great!  I must say, however, if you are creating a great and accurate model from history, as we all are, why omit the swastika?  The symbol itself has been around much longer than the third reich...  It's all a part of history.  If I were recreating a confederate warship from the 1800's I would include the confederate flag, for realism;  history should not be offensive, we should all educate ourselves and our children in order to prevent the terrible mistakes we've made in the past, and as model ship builders we should embrace the wonderful engineering and design that went into these magnificent vessels;  they all were created by great minds that, In My Humble Opinion, were horrified at how the war mongers ultimately used them to satisfy their own selfish agendas.

That being said, I look forward to your build;  I haven't done plastic since I was a kid, but this looks like a great kit, and It's tempting... ;)

LOL - im not omitting it, - but i will remove my log from MSW if it upsets people, i knew this subject would rear it's self, never this early though, i am months away from that any way

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

In the DIY-stores in the electrical or tools department they have the same ones as Andy showed for cheaper and possibly better quality. Here from wikipedia:

For electronics work, special diagonal cutters that are ground flush to the apex of the cutting edge on one side of the jaws are often used. These flush-cutting pliers allow wires to be trimmed flush or nearly flush to a solder joint, avoiding the sharp tip left by symmetrical diagonal cutters. It is common for this type of diagonal cutter to be referred to by another name, such as "flush cutter" to distinguish it from symmetrical cutters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagonal_pliers

I usually go to the shop with a piece of paper and try them out - good ones should even cut paper! This means not suitable for harder wires bit wonderful for sprue and etch :-)

PS: I use them too for cutting off the end bits of the ropes while rigging, better than any scissors :-)

Daniel

Here a picture from Wikipedia:

220px-Elektronikschere_%28smial%29.jpg

Edited by dafi

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

without having the extra PE i am struggling with what i can get on with and that which will be replaced, i fully appreciated the views those who would say build from the box, and get on with it, but the extra bits were in my budget, i just never expected to have to use it so soon 

the hangers have had a coat of primer

post-846-0-66397500-1382873597_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-46688300-1382873601_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-28850900-1382873605_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Hi Kevin, sometimes we can be too p.c. I agree with what rflosom has written, particularly regarding the history of what the swastika stood for during that time. Please keep going on with the build, and don’t remove it from MSW.

Best wishes

Jimbob (Richard)

A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words.

You are doing excellent work! Am very impressed! Two things: First, omitting something that was actually on the ship for fear of hurting someone's feelings is, for lack of better words, is utterly ridiculous. If someone complains or is "insulted" or offended by such, then its their fault for clicking on the link in the first place. After all, the Bismark is a famous ship... Ok, enough ranting! It's just that things are getting out of hand a little. Second, if you are having a hard time finding PE for your model, why not scratch some stuff out of styrene? Evergreen makes a lot of different types - rod, tube, I-beam, etc. - and sheets in different sizes, thickness, etc. That's what I am having do for my Dad's carrier.

Your work is incredible and please don't remove because some may have thin skin!

You are doing excellent work! Am very impressed! Two things: First, omitting something that was actually on the ship for fear of hurting someone's feelings is, for lack of better words, is utterly ridiculous. If someone complains or is "insulted" or offended by such, then its their fault for clicking on the link in the first place. After all, the Bismark is a famous ship... Ok, enough ranting! It's just that things are getting out of hand a little. Second, if you are having a hard time finding PE for your model, why not scratch some stuff out of styrene? Evergreen makes a lot of different types - rod, tube, I-beam, etc. - and sheets in different sizes, thickness, etc. That's what I am having do for my Dad's carrier.

Your work is incredible and please don't remove because some may have thin skin!

http://www.freetimehobbies.com/1-200-ka-models-bismarck-deluxe-wood-deck-brass-barrels-photo-etch-super-detail-upgrade-mk1-design/

i have now found a better index of parts contained

http://www.modelshipwrights.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=8834

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

looking very good Kevin.........I do agree that it's too early in the build for any banter.   enjoy what your doing.....we'll enjoy what you've done  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

looking very good Kevin.........I do agree that it's too early in the build for any banter.   enjoy what your doing.....we'll enjoy what you've done  ;)

bring on the banter, otherwise i will have to, i love it, lol - it kind of hides my bad build work

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Unfortunately, once you've bonded two pieces of styrene together with plastic cement... There's nothing that will "dissolve" the joint. Both pieces are litterally welded together to become one.

Andy

(And that's my anti penultimate post as a "captain" )

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy