Bismarck by Kevin - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/200 - PLASTIC

It looks like a great effort so far! The KA MK1 detail set really takes the kit to the next level!

Don't know if you know already but I'll add a couple of tips that may help your build...

Liquid plastic cement melts and "welds" the plastic; there is no good way to clean it up other than old fashioned sanding (and putty if neccessary) after everything is dry.

The KA set included porthole rings; it's the easiest way to improve the warped kit portholes.

Plain old Elmer's white glue is the best stuff I've found to do tiny PE parts; it makes a surprisingly good bond and shrinks as it dries, leaving no residue... provided you use it sparingly. CA (superglue) works best for larger PE parts that require some strength to them.

You can build an authentic Bismarck without the giant Swazticas on the deck; she didn't get them painted on until the early part of 1941. During Operation Rhineburg itself, the Swazticas were painted out with grey paint... so in reality, they weren't there for the majority of Bismarck's service life.

When it's time to paint, remember Bismarck's hull was painted a slightly darker shade of grey than the superstructure. Doing likewise on the model really improves the look of it.

Tamiya's Fine Surface Primer is expensive stuff but it is fairly close to the light grey color of Bismarck's superstructure and works well for spray-painting without obliterating detail.

I'm getting close to starting my second 1/200 Bismarck; I'll be happy to help if you need it, just let me know!

Edited by channell

i saw a photo yesterday with the hanger doors open, i have mine slid over but would now like it in the fully open position, ill look at it tonight, 

i will be following a lot of the recommendations you have discussed in the other forums, but at this time - i am not redoing all the port holes,

i am enjoying it so far

i was looking at the different paint makes today and had wondered about the Lifecolor’s Kreigsmarine color set

I haven't tried it but I was thinking about getting the Lifecolor set for Bissy #2. 

Redoing all the portholes is a giant pain; can't say I blame anyone for not wanting to do it! B)

Hi Kevin

Can I side-track slightly and ask a quick question? Why is the 'Lower' bow section missing/separate from the hull build?

Love the detail on this kit, a much much smaller version of this boat was amongst my very first builds ever!

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Hi Kevin

Can I side-track slightly and ask a quick question? Why is the 'Lower' bow section missing/separate from the hull build?

Love the detail on this kit, a much much smaller version of this boat was amongst my very first builds ever!

Eamonn

My best guess is so the hull can be molded cheaper/more efficently; otherwise the bulgy lower bow would cause problems. It doesn't end up that way in the end anyway ; there is a seperate lower bow section.  

The other theory is so Trumpeter can more easily do a  rumored Tirptiz in the future, though the entire bow would would be wrong for the Tirpitz, not just the bottom.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the links.  Here's another link useful although you might know about it already.

http://www.kbismarck.com  Besides other links and forums, you tube has many videos of builds and movies plus the many clips of the wrecks that filmmaker Cameron made. 

I have only experience on wooden models but was thoroughly blow away when I attended a model show with mostly plastic or resin built  models a couple of years ago.

I am definitely interested after my present build for purchasing this model as well.  The level of detail that can be achieved with aftermarket upgrade kits is staggering.  I think it's a good diversion with a whole new set of skills to learn.  Since reading the many forums for these, quite a few modelers do both mediums.

Looking forward to your future updates.

Happy modeling,

Len

Current build: HMS Bellerophon semi-scratch from plans of Victory Models HMS Vanguard 

Drydock:  MS Constitution

Completed builds: MS AVS, scratch built Syren, Victory models HMS Fly

Good afternoon

i have much better start to a build than this one. unable to get on with it with out the fitting kit, but never mind, it has given me the chance to try a bit of scratch, this might all be taken off as i try to improve my skills, 

wire conjuncts, and electrical boxes, and the doors into the search light platforms have been my first attempts

please bear with me the doors look to thick and the wire looks out of scale and the painting/glue all looks poor

post-846-0-29905700-1383413585_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-39738400-1383413589_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-85828100-1383463259_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

nice looking progress Kevin.......all those little touches are cool!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Wow!  Your ship is amazing.  It is big!  I got to see a lot of ships like you are building when we went to the maritime museum in Sturgeon Bay last month.  I could not believe all the detail work on them. 

I like your workshop too.  I wish I had a bigger work area. 

good morning,

The only glue used so far is where any modules come in two 1/2, like the funnel, and all  parts to the small hangers, every thing else is dry,

This delay on the fitting kit, as annoying as i am making it out to be, is not a problem as it is giving me the opportunity to try all sorts of thinks,

Three years ago i purchased a compressor air brush, yesterday it was opened for the first time, lol got i a bit of a mess working out how to use it, well impressed with it yhough

i have purchased different weathering effects, from a company called flory, like rust and streaking to improve my skills they are like washes, paint on and wipe off and slowly build up

Also teaching myself  that in reality there is no real difference between wood and plastic,they both are quite forgiving when a mistake is made, one creates sawdust the other, well, mess on the floor, it still annoys the wife when i go into the house trailing it from my socks

all this means that come a couple of weeks time, I would think that the build progress would be a lot faster having done some of the prep work, lol - it is not going to be completed by christamas

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

good afternoon

For anyone following my log, there is no logic in the build order, i am just changing bits here and there to fill in some time,

i looked at the small hangers and noticed a vent was missing so broke out a 3mm drill, make a hole, rolled up some styrene sheeting and put into the hole, gued into place, not quite worked out the best way to make a mesh cover, might be some spare at the end

post-846-0-73078700-1383500098_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-28053900-1383500125_thumb.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Good afternoon everyone

i keep sneaking into the man cave and doing small changes to the build, a door here and another hatch there, surprising just how much extra can be put onto this build, but i do miss the victory

the case is temporary, not deep enough by about 1/2 inch but would be a lot more when all the waiste extras (gangways etc) are added

post-846-0-35419900-1383739916_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-21681900-1383739921_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-83011000-1383739924_thumb.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

When I first saw your last post, I saw the pictures first and thought "now that's interesting, he's confident enough to build the display case first!". :)    Actually it's a great idea to have temporary storage to keep the dust off.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I regard Bismarck as the most slender and elegant battleship ever built. The Germans certainly built the best ships in my opinion.

I wonder how she would have faired against the U.S.S Missouri in combat  ?

i bet some one will have worked it out, but truthfully we will never know

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Being a little prejudice by serving on the USS New Jersey 1968-69 mount 56 mount captain (Iowa class battleship), she would have kicked her butt.  :) Even though these four ships were commissioned during the later part of WWII, none were sunk.

Kevin,  I apologize for commenting on your build.  Just  some old pride coming out.

Happy modeling,

Len 

Edited by freewheelinguy

Happy modeling,

Len

Current build: HMS Bellerophon semi-scratch from plans of Victory Models HMS Vanguard 

Drydock:  MS Constitution

Completed builds: MS AVS, scratch built Syren, Victory models HMS Fly

you carry on, i need all the friends i can get - lol

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

if anything,  you'll have a good idea of how large a case you will need..........it serves the purpose for the moment,  up,  out of the way,  and dust free!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hi Kevin 

I do not blame you one bit for staying out of that discussion, however these were two great skips, beauties to look an be amazed at all the fire power that they possessed at the time. What amazes me now is just how fast you are building your new ship the Bismark , at the rate you are going she will be finished before x-mass, Enjoy.

Regards   Lawrence

LOL - i havent done anything to it yet, very little is glued, i am still  changing bits that the kit is lacking in

The lack of the fitting kit is starting to bug me though, as i know it is available in the UK, Just that i asked a shop to obtain one for me, and oviously the importers that they use are different to the company that  i know has it ib stock  (hope that makes sense)

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

I regard Bismarck as the most slender and elegant battleship ever built. The Germans certainly built the best ships in my opinion.

I wonder how she would have faired against the U.S.S Missouri in combat  ?

That would all depend on whether Indiana Jones was on the Missouri or not. :D

BTW, still looking good Kevin! I really like the display case idea!

Edited by channell

.........or Chuck Norris :D :D :D :D :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Moflea wrote:

A little beast this kit... Can't wait to see it finished.

that may be one of the stark similarities with these kits :D :D :D :D :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: