Bismarck by Kevin - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/200 - PLASTIC

Looks great Kevin, especially after being painted.  Did you try to start off with the 'easier' pieces of PE to get the hang of it, or did you just decide to focus on this area.  Are you ready to go back the Victory yet?  :)

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Looks great Kevin, especially after being painted.  Did you try to start off with the 'easier' pieces of PE to get the hang of it, or did you just decide to focus on this area.  Are you ready to go back the Victory yet?  :)

yes, yes and yes, thankyou

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

good evening everyone

an enjoyable day for me, as i now start doing things with the build that are not in the kit, yep i ques that's scratch building,there is a lot of pipe work extra to be put on, i will do the big bigs

also there was nothing to secure the cranes, so i have just put a small tripod in to give the impression that the davit would be sceured

post-846-0-94385600-1384618346_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-90566500-1384618349_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-10177500-1384618353_thumb.jpg

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

hello everyone it's me again

spent 10 hours on the build today, lol i expected to have 1/2 finished the whole lot by now, not still putting pipe work on the smoke stack

why oh why can they not get some things right, where the white boxes are that i have put in, they sit above a platform, there is meant to be a lift there, that goes up to the search light platform, dam it was to late for me to rectify it, even the PE kit does not detail it, so the Bismarck wont be sailing with it

Tomorrow i will try to have this area finished, up to the stage of attaching the two small hangers 

post-846-0-29370500-1384641842_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-99610500-1384641848_thumb.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Hi Kevin, enjoying following this build and the extra bits and pieces you are doing.

I assume there are photo etch hand rails/holds that circle the funnel at different levels? If so when you get to them please describe the process as can't imagine how to do a strip of wire with tiny little pegs sticking out.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

lol its 0730 and have spent the last two hours in bed thinking how the hell am i going to make this lift. it need to go in, oh and bye the way, good morning everyone

post-846-0-54940300-1384673058_thumb.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

my scratch building capabilities are being stretched, i don't have the skills yet, or a variety of materials to use, but this is my first attempt at the lift, well over scale, and a lot of i,imagination is required as to how it would work, the over scale upright are some spare waterways from the Victory

i will see if it still looks stoooopid when primed, _ LOL stayed tuned

post-846-0-40179200-1384682341_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-56374300-1384682345_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-22947900-1384682349_thumb.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

a very quick dusting with a primer

post-846-0-23240300-1384689032_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-02516600-1384689036_thumb.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

That is some seriously good work, Kevin! I am following this one closely. It looks to be a very big model - what are it's dimensions?

Item Name     German Bismarck Battleship Bar Code     9580208037028 Scale     1:200 Item Type     Static Kit Model Brief     Length: 1265mm   Beam: 181mm Total Parts     1700+ Metal Parts     anchor chain , propeller shaft, Photo Etched Parts     13 pcs Film Parts     n/a Resin Parts     n/a Total Sprues     45 sprues , hull , decks and superstructure Paint Schemes     German Bismarck Battleship Released Date     2012-09 More Features One-piece hull made from two-directional slide molds

- The Deck is a single piece casting 

-  4 sprues for 4 Ar196 w/ fine details.

-  Accurately detailed gun

-  13 pieces of photo etched frets for handrais,ladders , radar parts etc.

-  Bonus : A full structure main gun turret with two metal gun barrel

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

-  Bonus : A full structure main gun turret with two metal gun barrel

Which Kevin was nice and a friend to send to me. When I start it I will do a log, I am thinking about making the kit but also making one in brass and aluminum. For now it is just a thought, but since a lot of people ask as to what a person can do with a milling machine figure I could show that anything you can think of can be done in a small scale. Anyone have any thoughts about this? Also I am not trying to hack Kevin tread by asking this, so if it all right with Kevin that I ask I will not delete this post but I will be starting one soon.

Edited by WackoWolf

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

It's going good Kevin!

If I can offer a bit of constructive criticism... that vertical pipe is a bit too thick. Is it too late to swap it out for something thinner?

I completely ignored all those pipes on my build but I want to add them on Bissy #2. I'm watching and learning... B)

im afraid it is to late to rip it out, im on a big steep learning curve here, but i wish i had done more research on the dam lift, but even out of scale it looks it makes that bottom platform serve a purpose, lol god know where the stbd side ladder has gone to, ooooooops, and carry on with the criticism - lol i doubt you would learn anything from me though

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

It's going good Kevin!

If I can offer a bit of constructive criticism... that vertical pipe is a bit too thick. Is it too late to swap it out for something thinner?

I completely ignored all those pipes on my build but I want to add them on Bissy #2. I'm watching and learning... B)

you carry on and offer any remarks after all we are all here to learn, otherwise we would not post our stuff

but wrt to your comment, do you mean all the vertical pipes or the lift assembly on the left, that caused me the most grief, as i don't have anything that looked suitable for the job, unless i was to order some plastic strut (other makes are available)

i did notice that on the underside of the top platform there are two hatches, but not on the detailed side, im not going to slate the manufacturer, as it is not on the PE kit

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

you carry on and offer any remarks after all we are all here to learn, otherwise we would not post our stuff

but wrt to your comment, do you mean all the vertical pipes or the lift assembly on the left, that caused me the most grief, as i don't have anything that looked suitable for the job, unless i was to order some plastic strut (other makes are available)

i did notice that on the underside of the top platform there are two hatches, but not on the detailed side, im not going to slate the manufacturer, as it is not on the PE kit

I guess it would be the lift pipe on the left.

It was quite a bit smaller and less conspicuous on the original:

https://bundesarchiv.de/cross-search/search/_1384793220/?search[view]=detail&search[focus]=218

Evergreen styrene strip comes in various small round diameters and is only a couple bucks... it might be a good way to recreate it.

BTW... not sure if you already know but this site (the German archives) has almost 400 really great pictures of the Bismarck coverin almost all of the exterior superstructure in great detail... it is an awesome (and free!) resource. Just type in "schlachtschiff bismarck" in the search...

Edited by channell

I guess it would be the lift pipe on the left.

It was quite a bit smaller and less conspicuous on the original:

https://bundesarchiv.de/cross-search/search/_1384793220/?search[view]=detail&search[focus]=218

Evergreen styrene strip comes in various small round diameters and is only a couple bucks... it might be a good way to recreate it.

BTW... not sure if you already know but this site (the German archives) has almost 400 really great pictures of the Bismarck coverin almost all of the exterior superstructure in great detail... it is an awesome (and free!) resource. Just type in "schlachtschiff bismarck" in the search...

yep you win, i will endevour to try again this evening, but i will keep the back lift support in place

i just found this photo

bismarck-matata12.jpg

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

I don't know Kevin.......could get dicey.  don't get discouraged with all these 'super detailed' pictures..    you also need to be careful for the pictures that show detail that wasn't there in the period your modeling the ship after.   keep the good stuff coming  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

my sister just rang, you finished that plastic kit yet,

No was the reply,

on asking why i was being subjected to the Spanish inquisition - she remembered me making one about 40 years ago made from about 20 pieces and glue in a tube, when i explained 1700 kit pieces and another 1700 in the PE and longer than the victory she changed the subject- oh hum

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

anyway i have taken the criticism like a man, well whimp and done something about it, to me it's better than it was, i removed the front HMS Victory waterway replaced it with 1mm copper wire, 

the guards look bigger in the photo, i think the shadow is catching them as they dont look quite so big in the side elevation

post-846-0-04536500-1384809290_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-38135300-1384809293_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

awesome Kevin..........as the name implies.......that's one super - structure!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nice re-work, Kevin.  Super-nice work.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

i had considered doing the sticky out bits a different colour to the superstructure, cranes, Ariels, and masts, but i guess i will tow the line and perhaps do them a darker shade of grey, the same as the hull colour

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Ahoy Kevin :D

A trick borrowed from the plastic airplane community, now used by many plastic ship builders is to use different color primers. It will allow you to use the same color but in a different tone to better bring out the gray item, against the gray background or separate the two gray structures. A problem modeling modern ships. Done correctly this can really give the model a lot of depth. I use the Tamiya and Mr. Hobby primers and adding a some flat black causes a subtle but noticeable difference in the final coat/color.

Another; easier trick is to buy a "boat load" of your color. Mix it all up, split it in two and add either flat white or flat black to one. Just a tiny bit.. Do not eyeball the wet paint but do side by side test strips of the two colors. Check them once dry. For a realistic effect it needs to be barely noticeable. Too much and it looks unrealistic.

You also have dry brushing which can be used to really pull out the sharp edges that are commonly lost in the sea of gray.  I use artist oils and found the titanium white to be one of my favorites. The oils take much longer to dry and can be removed without damaging the paint underneath. The white can be applied so thin it only lightens the base color. I prefer the water based Windsor & Newton.

PS: Your log is killing me. I so want to start another plastic model ship.

Edited by JPett

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Well Jpett was quicker to it than I was (there's soccer on telly!) Anyway I was about to suggest drybrushing too. If I were you I'd paint the cranes in their usual battleship grey; give them a wash in grey toned down with black using water based paint (this will enable you to wash it off again if it happens not to turn out the way you want it to). Once you're pleased with the wash start drybrushing. I have noticed whenever I do drybrushing: drybrushing really means DRYbrushing. Only start it when there's hardly any paint left on the paintbrush.

Peter