Bismarck by Kevin - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/200 - PLASTIC

Kevin,

That site looks interesting. Thanks for the link.  At first thought all the material pertained only to aircraft, then noticed the step by step for the Bismarck.  Looks like it may be worth the cost of joining, especially for you.  Enjoying your updates immensely.  What I mentioned before plus your build log has got me to have a go myself.  I'm not as brave as you, so I'm starting with a smaller ship to get my feet wet. Should arrive under the Christmas tree. 

Happy modeling,

Len

Current build: HMS Bellerophon semi-scratch from plans of Victory Models HMS Vanguard 

Drydock:  MS Constitution

Completed builds: MS AVS, scratch built Syren, Victory models HMS Fly

lol - i perhaps should have started on something smaller, or a larger scale, like the corvette Snowberry, but hey this is me, 3 expensive builds started, never getting past 1/3 done, incluse the Victory and Amerigo Vesspucci

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Kevin,

That site looks interesting. Thanks for the link.  At first thought all the material pertained only to aircraft, then noticed the step by step for the Bismarck.  Looks like it may be worth the cost of joining, especially for you.  Enjoying your updates immensely.  What I mentioned before plus your build log has got me to have a go myself.  I'm not as brave as you, so I'm starting with a smaller ship to get my feet wet. Should arrive under the Christmas tree. 

it would be interesting to find out if others are doing the same wrt subscriptions to model sites, or take what they can from you tube

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

No matter how many you got started, you can always go back to one and do some and then go to the next and do some more. When you get bored with one go to another. Sooner or later you will finished one and then move on to the next. There are a lot of us that do this, it is also call getting OLD.

Edited by WackoWolf

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Good morning everyone

PE continues, put one bit on, cut another out, drop it, look for it, find it, put it on, the process continues

also changing bits as i proceed, another 4 port holes missed from the kit but show in the book i am following

post-846-0-21538800-1385798208_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-21408000-1385798216_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-16527700-1385798220_thumb.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Kevin,

She is looking Beautiful. taking you time and finding the parts you drop is paying of big time. Just take your time. Sorry to hear that there are no clubs in your area, I am also in that boat but I join a club in another state, about a hour and a half drive but a wonderful club. Wish you the best. Keep the pictures coming.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

the last 24 hours has been a steep learning curve, learnin to spraypaint, stayed up all night try to get it right, a combination os using a very cheap gun, and the incorrect thinners for the type of paint i am using,also not knowing what im doing hasnt helped, but at last i think i am getting somewhere

Hi Kevin

You are doing a great job on your new build the Bismarck, your work is out standing and very enjoyable to just sit back in watch your great progress. . One thing passels me though, with a wooden ship one works from the hull up. Bur you seam to br working from the top down, is this normal when working with plastic , or is this your way of building a great ship?  Any way regardless of the build you are doing a great job , a joy to watch,   Enjoy.

Regards   Lawrence

Lawrence, my reason is that by the time i get to the hull, i might have learnt how to paint

post-846-0-96074200-1385914493_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-98327100-1385914497_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-48392500-1385914501_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-32248300-1385914505_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-53887500-1385914509_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-18229600-1385914518_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-83154600-1385914521_thumb.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

the worse thing about airbrushing,  is matching the  'speed' of the stroke,  with the volume that the brush puts out......your practice served you well.   is that a lighter gray,  along with the darker gray?    looks very good  ;)   you'll never be afraid of large surface areas again!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 3 weeks later...

good evening - i am back to the Bismarck build, a few weeks break from ship building - training up some painting skills - even though a lot of it was dry brushing, so back to fitting PE - been a good day - and got lots done - no pho'ts as it don't look any different on the screen 

post-846-0-06618600-1387665441_thumb.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Good to see you back.

Best of the Holidays to you and yours.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Oh...whew...  for a moment there I thought you had added some modificatons to the superstructure.   ;)

Anyway, good to hear you're back at the bench.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ahoy Kevin :D

I use 5 minute epoxy for most of my PE. Your parts will never pop off.  It can be thinned with Alcohol and applied similar to Thin cements using capillary action. Or it can be left on a part for a minute or two to "get tacky" before applying it to the model. Cleaning up any excess is also easy with alcohol.

Whatever you use be sure to scuff the PE

Epoxy?? Perfect! CA is the devil!

Tony

Savannah, Georgia

Multi hobby nut.

Thank-you for the link - i will see i f i can get a pair of them

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Ahoy Tony :D

The CA works great on resin models for PE just not so well on styrene and why I use epoxy, but I have also used the Gorilla wood glue with excellent results on both.

PVA is an especially good  second stage application when gluing with either CA or epoxy. Tacking PE parts with CA or epoxy and then following up with thinned PVA is the best way I have found fill any voids between PE and the model and reinforce the bond. It is also the way I do rails. I thin it so it runs and apply it with a small paint brush followed by a cotton bud or micro brush to wick up the excess. I have a fiberglass brush that I will use to scuff or remove any dried excess.

Seams or voids between the PE and the model can really detract from the overall look of the kit. If you airbrush the paint won't fill them (it actually highlights them);  filling these little gaps with PVA is a really easy step that can make a big difference in the model.

Edited by JPett

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Hi Kevil

We the Admiral and I want to wish you and your family a Very Merry Christmas a and Happy New Year. Gosh just when you thought a wood model was a challenge you had to make it a bit harder with plastic, love your results, it seams that plastic is even more challenging.. But then you are young and ever willing to learn new ways to work on a model ship.. My hat is off to you Kevin, you sure are doing a great job, your results are amazing..   Enjoy.

Regards   Lawrence

Thank you Lawrence,

My self and Ruth would like to say merry Christmas to you and everyone else

I miss the Victory. much more than i thought i would, but i need/must finish something, before i carry a tag over me like 1/3 Kevin -  

i have other non ship project i would also like to do - like the 1/35 Dora but the Victory and Amerigo Vespucci must be completed first, i think the Victory will be back on the table by Easter 

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Ahoy Tony :D

The CA works great on resin models for PE just not so well on styrene and why I use epoxy, but I have also used the Gorilla wood glue with excellent results on both.

PVA is an especially good  second stage application when gluing with either CA or epoxy. Tacking PE parts with CA or epoxy and then following up with thinned PVA is the best way I have found fill any voids between PE and the model and reinforce the bond. It is also the way I do rails. I thin it so it runs and apply it with a small paint brush followed by a cotton bud or micro brush to wick up the excess. I have a fiberglass brush that I will use to scuff or remove any dried excess.

Seams or voids between the PE and the model can really detract from the overall look of the kit. If you airbrush the paint won't fill them (it actually highlights them);  filling these little gaps with PVA is a really easy step that can make a big difference in the model.

i have had great success using Elmers - watered down to do the PE on the build, i have had to remove all the bits i put on with C/A as it had spoilt the vents, lesson learn't and no damage caused

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Hi Kevin, I'm sorry there has not been any activity form me of recent, I was discharged from Musgrove Hospital yesterday after a three week stay. I will catch up on adding photos during the next week or so and add them to your publication.  Meanwhile a Happy Christmas and New year to you and your family.

Best wishes

Jimbob (Richard)

A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words.

Had i known i would have paid you a visit - 

Happy Christmas - to you and family and hope you are feeling better

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Hello everyone, hope you all had a good holiday

Before i go much further, i have a little confession, i had very recently seriously considered giving up modelling, for good - i am always looking to be better than i am, and the worse i seam to get, - i keep starting new projects and using it as a excuse to try something else, or i need to do this as practise to proceed with other jobs, i don't know who i am trying to fool

But common sense prevails i enjoy the hobby immensely - just crap at it -  i feel showing my work would make me better - i dont see any results, but will continue to do so

so as part of my soul searching - i am going to attack the Bismarck, another way - (excuse the pun) and approach it different and see how it goes, 

it was a bad idea for me to start on the superstructure, the hull needs to be done first - and build up , so everything else has been put safe to one side

all the portholes have been drill approx 100 of them using 1.5mm drill - all the sea water inlets and outlets have been opened up - the Atlantic bow is now in place as are the prop shafts

post-846-0-70449300-1388150040_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-33230300-1388150073_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-85112400-1388150111_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-68202500-1388150126_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-33475600-1388150147_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Hello everyone, hope you all had a good holiday

Before i go much further, i have a little confession, i had very recently seriously considered giving up modelling, for good - i am always looking to be better than i am, and the worse i seam to get, - i keep starting new projects and using it as a excuse to try something else, or i need to do this as practise to proceed with other jobs, i don't know who i am trying to fool

But common sense prevails i enjoy the hobby immensely - just crap at it -  i feel showing my work would make me better - i dont see any results, but will continue to do so

Hi Kevin,

I am pretty sure most of us have felt this way at some time or another, I know I have.  There is aspects of my build that I am never happy with and know that its unlikely to be better but then there is other parts I know I can do better next time and the time after that.

But if we give up then the practice will never be there to improve.

For what its worth I am enjoying your build and see nothing but good work.

Keep it up mate.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

yea.......you can't feel that way Kevin,  we are all modelers of particular style and taste.   I think your doing a great job......no matter where you began on the build.   the kit is huge........it looks as  daunting,  as all hell........    but you know that as soon as you got into it,  and began putting 'er together,  with everything you've done.........you've felt a sense of accomplishment.   that my friend,  is what you were looking for.........from the size of that kit.....you got it in spades!!!   I'd love to get a kit like that,  but the admiral won't let me play with plastic anymore.  I still have a couple in the closet....she forgets Hee.....Hee!

we have you now.............you will never be free.........bwaaaaaaa.......ha..ha..ha!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hey Kevin,

We are all our own worse critics - trust me - I almost gave up on my Confederacy build a half dozen times - mostly because it wasn't meeting my own perception of "perfection"  Stick with the build - again I admire anyone who can build like you with plastic - lord knows I can't…..

Happy holidays,

Chris

Have to agree with the others Kevin,

I think you are being overly harsh on yourself. The work you have done on your Victory to date has been top notch, and when you have done a "re-do", the results have been well worthwhile. And we all have re-dos!!! Similarly, your work so far on Bismarck has been very good. Striving for perfection is one thing, but don't let aspirations for perfection get in the way of enjoyment and satisfaction from things that maybe just short of perfection - that way lies disappointment and frustration. You are a very capable modeller who turns out very good work and who is learning and improving all the time. Just like the rest of us. That's why we are here on this forum - to learn, grow and develop our skills.........and to support each other through the tough times.

Now, get back to work!!! ;)

]spent another good few hours on the build today, sanding out hull blemishes which appear on the external side of the strengthening struts inside the hull

post-846-0-11847800-1388268148_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-62192900-1388268209_thumb.jpg

at present i am drilling loads of 0.3mm holes for the stern PE steps, then i will be spending a couple of hours wet and dry with 1500 paper

much happier again now - thank you everyone

post-846-0-58600500-1388268520_thumb.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

It's great that you didn't give up. As others have said, we've been there.   By working on the superstructure, you got a feel for the work and think how much you won't have to do when you're ready to build that part of the ship.  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

that's the spirit Kevin!!!  :)     the one thing about plastic I hated.....all the pin marks and impressions.  I use the Testors putty.   the last tube I bought,  must have been on the shelf a long time.......I had to knead the hell out of the tube.   so much,  in fact,  that the crimp on the end began to come undone!   the other sad fact is that I don't use it too much....I'll probably end up having to do it all over again.   your kit doesn't look too bad though.......I haven't seen too much of it so far  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: