HMS VICTORY by Kevin - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1/72

Looking superb mate.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Looks great from here also, Kevin.   I'm not going to "like" that broken line post though.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

14 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Looks great from here also, Kevin.   I'm not going to "like" that broken line post though.  

I have been trimming some of the secured lines, i think, but not yet checked that one wasnt quite as secured as i thought

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Good afternoon everyone, dreaded doing the fine painting, but it wasnt something i could put off any longer

IMG_3968.JPG

IMG_3972.JPG

IMG_3976.JPG

IMG_3965.JPG

IMG_3969.JPG

IMG_3967.JPG

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Realy nice work kevin.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Hello Kevin..

just a word to say that your colors look neat and well done.  You should be very proud of your Victory; you've done a terrific job.

Best,

Jerry

Thank you for the comments, i promise also to get back to you as soon as i can

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Hi Kevin my friend.

I just took a quick look through your log and wow...you continue to impress at every stage.  You've been on of my inspirations over my build and I will keep coming back here to refer to your build when I get stuck!

All the best,

Patrick

4 minutes ago, Patrick Haw said:

Hi Kevin my friend.

I just took a quick look through your log and wow...you continue to impress at every stage.  You've been on of my inspirations over my build and I will keep coming back here to refer to your build when I get stuck!

All the best,

Patrick

Nice to see you you go about restarting, still hoping to get mine completed this month, lolits been a long 7 years

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Beautifully done Kevin!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

i dont have any phots to post tonight but have another day off tomorrow.

the main mast stuns are completed and i have started going through the plans to check for any missing lines, found a couple already

but today i finally had an eureka moment, wrt to the way to display, but not 100% how to do it

plan is to put her into a dry dock, not specifically Portsmouth  as there is not a actual time line you could date her by

so i am open to suggestions on how this could be done

so far i dont know if i need a base and 4 sides, or to have the 2 ends open

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

14 hours ago, Wallace said:

What period have you dated your build at Kevin? If we had that information then perhaps we could all figure out the dry dock issue. I like the idea by the way!

Im still undisided, , but there must have been a time when she perhaps went in for a maintenance  period, before returning back into service, so im perhaps narrowing it down to post Trafalgar but prior to her permanent docking, 

Having said that i guess there is no reason why it cannot be now, lol decissions, decissions 

What i want is a representation of Victory in a dock, but dont want to open myself up more flak from the rivet counters 

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

great progress Kevin :)   rigging looks terrific!  you'll fix the broken line with hardly any trouble.....still doesn't take away from the shots of the stun booms........awesome job! 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

hi kevin,

quick question. i noticed on p 42   on the upper deck A7 #33 of mckay he mentions a steam trunk.  any idea what it is?

thanks and keep up the great work.

mort   

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

4 hours ago, mort stoll said:

hi kevin,

quick question. i noticed on p 42   on the upper deck A7 #33 of mckay he mentions a steam trunk.  any idea what it is?

thanks and keep up the great work.

mort   

i can only find ref to the Brodie oven, in the Mcgowan book nothing in the Longbridge

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

On 4/8/2019 at 3:01 PM, Kevin said:

plan is to put her into a dry dock, not specifically Portsmouth  as there is not a actual time line you could date her by

so i am open to suggestions on how this could be done

Hi Kevin.  The only references I can find for when Victory would have been in dry dock would be during her re-build from 1800-1803.  In 1796 she was found to have significant weaknesses in her stern timbers and was declared unfit for active service and scheduled to be converted to a hospital ship.  However in 1799, with the loss of HMS Impregnable (98-guns) the navy found itself short of a first-rate and ordered an extensive re-build of Victory,  I believe the re-build took place at Chatham and Victory was re-launched in April, 1803.

As for displaying your Victory in a dry dock setting you should consider that when a ship went into dry dock for a rebuild or major maintenance her upper masts and rigging would be removed along with all armaments, boats, etc., and the ship would essentially be just the hull...and with large amounts of planking, etc. removed for the builders to get at the timbers that needed replacing.  In short, the ship would be unrecognizable. All that to say that a fully-rigged and armed ship in dry dock would be technically inaccurate.  However, displaying her in a dry dock would be a unique and interesting setting...and it's your ship!  However you decide to finally display her you have done an amazing job on your Victory.  Well done!

Patrick

Edited by Patrick Haw

3 hours ago, Patrick Haw said:

Hi Kevin.  The only references I can find for when Victory would have been in dry dock would be during her re-build from 1800-1803.  In 1796 she was found to have significant weaknesses in her stern timbers and was declared unfit for active service and scheduled to be converted to a hospital ship.  However in 1799, with the loss of HMS Impregnable (98-guns) the navy found itself short of a first-rate and ordered an extensive re-build of Victory,  I believe the re-build took place at Chatham and Victory was re-launched in April, 1803.

As for displaying your Victory in a dry dock setting you should consider that when a ship went into dry dock for a rebuild or major maintenance her upper masts and rigging would be removed along with all armaments, boats, etc., and the ship would essentially be just the hull...and with large amounts of planking, etc. removed for the builders to get at the timbers that needed replacing.  In short, the ship would be unrecognizable. All that to say that a fully-rigged and armed ship in dry dock would be technically inaccurate.  However, displaying her in a dry dock would be a unique and interesting setting...and it's your ship!  However you decide to finally display her you have done an amazing job on your Victory.  Well done!

Patrick

well that certainly narrows it down to NOW then 

thank you for that very informative answer, and LOL now means to copy a section of number 2 dock in Portsmouth

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

59 minutes ago, Kevin said:

well that certainly narrows it down to NOW then 

thank you for that very informative answer, and LOL now means to copy a section of number 2 dock in Portsmouth

Come to think of it, displaying your Victory as she is today in Number 2 Dock in Portsmouth, would be fantastic and a very unique way of showing her...The oldest commissioned ship in the Royal Navy!  (Just leave off the tourist gangways and the cafe next door selling overpriced sandwiches!!)

ok thanks.

mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Hi Kevin,

Really beautiful work, fantastic rigging.  Whatever way you choose to display your Victory, she will always look magnificent. In my Victory build I am still miles away from finishing her but sometimes I also start thinking of two things, how I am going to display her, like you are doing, and due to its size WHERE. It's not easy to find a place for her. But one way or another she must be displayed in a prominent place where you can enjoy looking at it after all that work you've put into it. Congratulations again Kevin. 

Robert

NOT MY PHOTO

the actual foot print is not so large as i thoughtImage result for portsmouth number 2 dock PHOTO

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

1 hour ago, Bertu said:

Hi Kevin,

Really beautiful work, fantastic rigging.  Whatever way you choose to display your Victory, she will always look magnificent. In my Victory build I am still miles away from finishing her but sometimes I also start thinking of two things, how I am going to display her, like you are doing, and due to its size WHERE. It's not easy to find a place for her. But one way or another she must be displayed in a prominent place where you can enjoy looking at it after all that work you've put into it. Congratulations again Kevin. 

Robert

Thank you Robert

this is a build that has dragged on for 4 years to long, i have changed my mind so many times about what to do with her, space is not fantastic in our home so she is being put into my man cave, the stand was only really thought about last week , lol the list is endless, but i would do it all again, without doubt, but the rebirth of the Amerigo Vespucci is the next big project after building no 2 dock

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

13 hours ago, Kevin said:

the actual foot print is not so large as i thought

Wow Kevin!  Great overhead shot of the dock and Victory.  Making the dock should be a piece of cake for someone with your skills.  On second thought, go ahead and build the cafe next door so I can sit and watch the dock take shape!

Patrick

1 hour ago, Patrick Haw said:

Wow Kevin!  Great overhead shot of the dock and Victory.  Making the dock should be a piece of cake for someone with your skills.  On second thought, go ahead and build the cafe next door so I can sit and watch the dock take shape!

Patrick

lol there may be some artistic licence involved as well

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Good afternoon everyone

still tidying things up at present, the set back was that i had put on all the top spars but forgot the lifts on them (sorted)

The pendants obviously went on when the masting started, and nothing was ever done to them, so they are being trimmed back but space is very tight to get them right, 

upper deck cannons have now been removed, never did like them

spars/yards have been reworked to get them all looking fairly level (sorted)

i am still hoping she will be finished next weekend, but i now have a caveat to go with that 

i am presently planning on a representation of number 2 dock to display her in, that is going to take some time so in case any damage is done i dont want to put on any rope coils otherwise they might be in the way if a line gets snagged and needs replacing 

things i know that have to be done

4/18 pendants to be finished off

replace 20 copper tiles and then apply a salt wash to tone it all down

rope coils 

lanterns

2 tucks on mizzen mast

kedge anchors

check/ and secure any loose ends

bowspit netting

obtain  at lease one ships boat

rig port stun boon

general tidy and touch up

mast tops

change the title to COMPLETED lol

IMG_3980.JPG

IMG_3986.JPG

IMG_3990.JPG

IMG_3993.JPG

IMG_3994.JPG

IMG_3997.JPG

IMG_3998.JPG

IMG_3999.JPG

IMG_4004.JPG

IMG_4006.JPG

IMG_4008.JPG

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Superb.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Love the photos from down low and looking up.  Looks like the big one not the model.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

What an awesome piece of work Kevin.  I keep looking at her every detail on your pics, just marvelous.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thank you for the comments and likes everyone, its very much appreciated 

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

On 4/14/2019 at 8:36 PM, Kevin said:

things i know that have to be done

4/18 pendants to be finished off

replace 20 copper tiles and then apply a salt wash to tone it all down

rope coils 

lanterns

2 tucks on mizzen mast

kedge anchors

check/ and secure any loose ends

bowspit netting

obtain  at lease one ships boat

rig port stun boon

general tidy and touch up

mast tops

change the title to COMPLETED lol

Kevin,

You forgot the sign which will read: "NOT actually the real HMS Victory".

I think you are going to need that.

:cheers:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy