Kevin

HMS VICTORY by Kevin - FINISHED - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72

good evening everyone, i have been quite fortunate to have had a 4 day weekend off, and the wife away, so just me and my doggie

a majority of the rigging is now done, the after sheet block are still to be made, but i want to look at where i am going to put the ships boats first, then sort out/make the gaff

i have done quite a bit of reworking on the beak head, and re-run some lines as i am finding that they were run incorrectly, and two lines were broken 

i have even replaced a few of the missing copper tiles

with the plans i have now highlighted the lines completed, and lol some were found to be missing, but will go in this weekend and as as the stun booms

lots still to do, but hopefully a few pictures will show what i have been doing

IMG_3772.JPG

IMG_3782.JPG

IMG_3773.JPG

IMG_3774.JPG

IMG_3775.JPG

IMG_3776.JPG

IMG_3777.JPG

IMG_3778.JPG

IMG_3779.JPG

IMG_3780.JPG

IMG_3781.JPG

Hello Kevin,

Your Victory really looks beautiful.  I'm so glad that you decided to keep going and bring your model to fruition.  I know that when you finally see your project in a display case you will take much pride with the knowledge that you completed a gem.  I notice that you are thinking about the location of the ship's boats.  I hope you don't mind the picture intrusion I have posted because I wanted you to see that I actually placed one of the ship's boats "in the water" alongside the mother ship.  Please keep going; a lot of us can't wait to see the final job.

Best,

Jerry

HMS Victory w ship's boat.jpg

6 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Hello Kevin,

Your Victory really looks beautiful.  I'm so glad that you decided to keep going and bring your model to fruition.  I know that when you finally see your project in a display case you will take much pride with the knowledge that you completed a gem.  I notice that you are thinking about the location of the ship's boats.  I hope you don't mind the picture intrusion I have posted because I wanted you to see that I actually placed one of the ship's boats "in the water" alongside the mother ship.  Please keep going; a lot of us can't wait to see the final job.

Best,

Jerry

HMS Victory w ship's boat.jpg

Good evening Jerry i dont mind at all,  i hadnt realy given it that much thought up to now, because they were going to be part of the diorama i was planning, LOL before i realised just how much room it was going to take up

1463477686_th1.jpg.82bd40e10933f630aad4a5c82cbec379.jpg

but the Admiral and myself have found her somewhere to live, but it will take some work to get the idea to work, the plan is to put a set of patio or some sort of slinging doors inside the garage and therefore create a sort of enclosed space 

possibly take 1m of so from the end wall where the plans are hung and create a viewing area behind a set of sliding doors, 

905289784_201612decembergarage(1).thumb.JPG.d83205795b3f7fedea36260a39c06d1c.JPG

45 minutes ago, wlell said:

Strong work for sure!!

OK, the inevitable question: What are your plans for a case? Purchase? Build your own?

as discussed just above this post, this is one of the main reasons the build keeps getting delayed, in our property we just dont have a area big enouth to take her, so the plan is to use the garage, one of my workshops, and put possibly a set of patio doors or glass sliding doors about 1 to 2 meters away from the back wall, this will allow my collection to be displayed, although im the only one who will ever see her again

Good evening everyone

still on track to complete this build, spending as much time as i can at the weekends, with all the other normal stuff that goes on there in real life

the last of the main yards are now made and being rigged into position, LOL i now have to think about both ends when turning her around, most of the rigging should then be completed by this time next week

these are the gaff and Driver boom
[QSyZ1Qv]
[I0G8tZr]
[yGniHHf]
[azdT6cE]
[NoSv8JI]

15 minutes ago, Wallace said:

Nearing the end on any build is an exciting moment, for something this major though I would imagine you are way beyond that. You should be proud of yourself Kevin, she looks great. 

i will certainly be happy to see my next build on the table, lol i was looking at another kit today, chucks Confederacy again, but the st nectan id ready to be started and a couple of months

She is truly a beauty Kevin, you should feel very proud of yourself sir. The angle of some of those second set of shots makes her look like the real thing! Very nicely done and an inspiration for me sir, and in fact anyone attempting this build. 

8 minutes ago, Wallace said:

She is truly a beauty Kevin, you should feel very proud of yourself sir. The angle of some of those second set of shots makes her look like the real thing! Very nicely done and an inspiration for me sir, and in fact anyone attempting this build. 

i do so fancy another rigged ship at the present time, but not one with so many teeth (cannons) perhaps a decent scale Cutty sark but not the Amerigo Vespucci, would have to be a kit though, i have/ never stopped thinking about a  4th or 5th rate and build the Melampus 

Hi Kevin,

Been following your log and I'm most impressed. Thank you for the beautiful pictures.

One question: I am presently working on the chesstrees, and I couldn't help noticing that yours seems to be missing on the port side of the ship.

Is that on purpose? The original Victory has chesstrees on both sides...

Otherwise: lots of respect!

Paul

Edited by paulb

3 hours ago, paulb said:

Hi Kevin,

Been following your log and I'm most impressed. Thank you for the beautiful pictures.

One question: I am presently working on the chesstrees, and I couldn't help noticing that yours seems to be missing on the port side of the ship.

Is that on purpose? The original Victory has chesstrees on both sides...

Otherwise: lots of respect!

Paul

Paul i wiil have a look tonight ty for letting me know

18 hours ago, Kevin said:

Paul i wiil have a look tonight ty for letting me know

well Paul, i dont know what to say,  there is certainly no sign it was ever fitted, and certainly not in the box. i quess i will be making one, thank you for spotting it, lol i certainly hope thats what you were referring to

IMG_3384.JPG

IMG_3379.JPG

Edited by Kevin

Yeah, that’s the one. You can find it on the same wooden sheet as the other chesstree and the fenders. It’s there to protect the hull when lowering the anchor. Good luck. 

11 minutes ago, paulb said:

Yeah, that’s the one. You can find it on the same wooden sheet as the other chesstree and the fenders. It’s there to protect the hull when lowering the anchor. Good luck. 

lol maybe it was, but i started her 7 years ago, anyway , will make one

just found this photo dated 27th July 2013 so would have been about the same fitting/or not fitting in this case

hobby victory  (1287).JPG

Edited by Kevin

On 2/25/2019 at 10:41 PM, Jerry said:

Hi Kevin,

}I have no idea what y'all are talking about.  I wonder if my Victory is missing the chesstrees too?  

Jerry

good morning Jerry, its a wooden strip that is added to the hull to prevent damage from loading cargo and not the anchor , it shows in the top photo and not the other side (but should be)

Edited by Kevin

The Chestree has nothing to do with the anchor, they are fairleads for the Tacks. There should be a hole bored through them from fore to aft for the line to reave through, and another hole bored through the hull adjacent to them that leads the Tack inboard to the Gundeck where it belays on a kevel or huge cleat.The two vertical paralel wooden “fenders” are actually used for Parbuckling casks and barels aboard, the barels role up the ships side and the two wooden tracks give a smooth surface to roll on. Here’s a simplified example of how it works. I scincearly hope the boat dropping off the stores rows out from under when they begin lifting. On a ship the size of Victory it must have been quite a task.

3FFFE99B-668C-4D93-9CE1-5B61D1E319A7.jpeg

E3F693C3-EBBE-481B-B906-E6E6B9235557.jpeg