Scottish Maid 1839 by ray111 - Artesania Latina

added mizen mast? or mast in front of the bow.

That's called the 'bowsprit', although the individual parts all have names too.

The thickest piece, closest to the hull is the 'bowsprit'.  The second somewhat thinner piece is the 'jib boom'.  If there was a third section, it would be the 'flying jib boom'.  I think the wooden bit that holds the bowsprit and the jib boom together is the 'dolphin striker' or 'martingale'.  I think it depends on the era of the ship which it is.

I think those are correct, maybe someone else can correct me if I've named any of them wrong.

Not familiar with this kit, but if you need to put rings on the masts that the sails would be connected to, you should have done that before assembling the top sections of the masts.  You could use some sort of split ring, but if you want to use solid rings, you should look at disassembling the masts to add them now, as later on after you've added a lot more things, you'll remove the option to put the correct style of rings on.

I did this on the Carmen, my first build, and it doesn't have the rings because of this.

This is from a Google search of a different model, but shows the rings I'm talking about:

post-14925-0-89712200-1413786747_thumb.png

I didn't find out about these rings until the rigging was complete and I was almost done, so I did not include them, but wish I'd known earlier so that I could have added them to the model.

You should consider reading ahead in your instructions and checking out the later plan sheets that show the rigging, and see if you have these in your kit, and then decide if the effort of removing the top masts is worth it for you to add them in.

hi Brian,

I noticed the rings in the instruction plans, there were some wooden ones in the kit, they didnt seem to fit at the base of the mast and i didnt want to force them onto the mast no doubt they would be broken in the process if i tried no doubt. i have some split brass rings not sure if i should use these as a substitute for the wooden rings, there were only 2 wooden wooden rings supplied and they didnt fit.

Ray

If there were only two rings, then they were no doubt not for this purpose.  I expect there would be somewhere around a dozen hoops on each mast for the two main sails.  My AVS kit has 12 hoops for a single mast (just counted them).  So for your kit with two masts I expect there would be somewhere between 22 to 26 hoops provided if they are included. 

You should be able to find some reference to 'mast hoops' in the instructions or plans to clarify them for you.

Hi Brian,

yes im varnishing the model, have to do some sanding, i used super glue and some of it has ended up on some of the surfaces on the ship,

so sanding it of could be difficult, might have to investigate the use of a solvent though thats a bit risky since the surplus glue that has dried is near the

glued components. might just have to put up with it if it doesnt sand of. have to yet do some double planking on the cabins on the deck and some rigging also with the placement of the other masts or yardarms.

Ray

Hi Ray

I look in on your model as I follow Jesselee's Scottish Maid. There is a lot of good advice therein. She's also looks like a very nice model to build.

I'd avoid solvent for surplus glue. I'd also avoid sanding. Use a scraper - a razor blade or the back edge of a box cutter knife and then gently scrape with the blade at about 45 degrees to the surface. Do not gouge. After that carefully finish with sandpaper.

I'm glad to hear you are planking the deck cabins. It seems you have fixed the backing blocks to the deck and then intend to plank them? That is your call but I reckon it is easier to make these parts off the model and then fix them down.

Going back to Jesse's Maid, your bowsprit is angled very high in comparison to his - see page 22 of his log. I don't know the model but, just to my eye, your sprit looks angled a bit too high for any ship. Hard to change that now but maybe for the future...

Wishing you well with your progress and I'll keep looking in.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

• 1 year later...

You are making progress, take your time and enjoy. Not many of us like sanding, however, it is a necessity in this hobby. A good little trick is to cut the planks a little long then you can square them up and get them to proper length by sanding. The most important thing is to have fun and if you run into problems don't be afraid of asking for help.

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Scottish Maid 1839 by ray111 - Artesania Latina