Coating or glueing the inside of hull planks

Ahoy Rich :D

I do

I use PVA glue

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Yes. Whenever possible.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

I'm with the others on this.  I use pva diluted a bit with water and generally go with 2 coats.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

An alternative to bandage gauze,is fibreglass plasterers scrim tape.This is self adhesive so you can in effect stick the tape in place then cover with PVA.You need to leave the tape in place overnight to let the adhesive set before applying the glue though.The last coat of PVA nends to be almost unthinned,but you will end up with rock hard planking.

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

If the outside is painted or sealed, so should the inner side of the hull. That said, I once used acrylic paint instead of my usual solvent-based oil paint. I had some left-overs and thought this a great way to use up the can. Big mistake! The moisture content warped the planks and sprang several. It was hell's teeth to restore several weeks' worth of work. I had to actually replace a couple of planks as well. Lesson learned: economy is not always the best policy.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

I have never considered it.  All of my ships are double planked and I figure that after applying two layers of planking using PVA it is highly unlikely that anything is going to move. I also try to make sure that the second layer of planking staggers over the seams in the first layer. 

I build kits and after gluing the bulkheads in place the next thing I do is install the deck to ensure the keel remains straight and rigid while planking.  Doing that makes it almost impossible to put any coating on the inside of the hull once the first planking has been completed. 

My first ship was built over 20 years ago and there is not even so much as a hairline crack anywhere in the hull.

Edited by bogeygolpher

PROWE

If someone says something can't be done, it only means they can't do it.

Building:Shipyard - HMS Mercury card madel

Completed Builds:

Wood Models; AL Bluenose II 1989, Corel Toulonnaise 1995, Corel Flying Fish 2000, AL Scottish Maid 2005,

Sergal President 2010, Mamoli Beagle 2011, Corel Eagle 2013, Mamoli Constitution Cross-section 2014, Victory Cross-section 1/98 by Corel 2015, Occre San Francisco Cable Car 2018, Model Shipways Armed Long Boat 2021

Card Models

Christmas Train by PaperReplika 2012, Yamaha DSC11 Motorcycle 2013, Canon EOS 5D Mark II 2014, WWII Tiger I Tank by Paper-Replika 2014, Wrebbit Mercedes-Benz 500K Roadster 2014, Central Pacific no. 60 Jupiter card model 2015, Mirage III 1/30 converted to 1/33 card model 2017, TKpapercraft 1912 Mercer 2021

Definately yes - a light wash with diluted PVA to all accessible areas inside the hull where possible.

Norman

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.