Maine three masted schooner by Bedford - Radio - 1:54

I have walked away from the technical side of this build for a while and it was so nice to just make something for her in the workshop.

First, take one very old block of river red gum (I've had this for a quarter of a century and it looked like this when I got it so no idea how old it is) then run said block through the band saw....

post-697-0-85421300-1418521808_thumb.jpg  post-697-0-25981100-1418521840_thumb.jpg

Do some sanding then add a little dab of this and rub a bit.

post-697-0-53886200-1418521905_thumb.jpg

Add a few bits of brass fresh off the lathe and you end up with this.

post-697-0-78736000-1418521989_thumb.jpg

post-697-0-19795700-1418522071_thumb.jpg

It really is such a beautiful piece of timber that I didn't need to make it look fancy by giving it a nice shape, just a small bevel around the edge and it looks amazing, the pics can't do it justice!

And this is what it looks like

post-697-0-00003000-1418522128_thumb.jpg

Well John, I started with a brand new blade and it did the job just fine, it has dulled the teeth a little bit but I am impressed. Got the blades from an ebay manufacturer in QLD. I did try and get lose dirt of the exterior before I started because that will blunt a blade in the blink of an eye.

The grain is so fine that the saw dust was just that, dust! I sanded it with a belt sander in coarse grit then medium before finishing with 400 grit open coat on the orbital sander and as that wore out it polished the timber to such extent that it had a reflective finish before I applied the wax. It looked almost like a man made resin artificial timber. The wax just brought the colour out a little better. It was a joy to work with in this scale, I have used it before. I turned the pedestals for my Schooner for Port Jackson from it and the top of the capstan on same but you don't really get to appreciate the beauty of it on such small items.

When handling it I was reminded of the piece of Lignum Vitae I once had the pleasure of handling at the old Sydney Maritime Museum, not quite as dense or heavy but not far off and almost as smooth.

Edited by Bedford

Steve that looks really sharp. I have to agree with you regarding doing fancy stuff to a beautiful piece of wood, By keeping it simple, the wood shows itself to its best advantage.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I have made the cradle to carry the UBEC (power supply) and the stays'l tacking servo. I was going to use timber for the servo but relised I needed to keep the UBEC up out of any water that may get in and doing all that with timber was going to be bulky and heavy so 35 grams of brass and solder later..............

post-697-0-77604700-1419159542_thumb.jpg

post-697-0-77686600-1419159607_thumb.jpg

The servo sits accordingly, I still have to drill and tap the mounting holes but that won't take long.

post-697-0-87384500-1419159677_thumb.jpg

In place with the UBEC where it will be secured with cable ties, when the servo is fitted there will be plenty of room around it.

post-697-0-39615600-1419159704_thumb.jpg

Now I know the solder work is a tad ugly in spots but it is below deck.......................

It's all coming together nicely.  Fine brass work.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

• 2 weeks later...

I am making the mechanism to handle tacking of the stays'ls, I developed something earlier but it worked on differential motion where it let heaps of line out as it took a little in but I have realised that I need the windward line to go completely slack before the lee line takes up so I have adapted something Jerry posted somewhere like page 13 and am making a mechanism that will do just that (he said hopefully), only testing the completed mechanism will tell and I figured it is easier to make it properly than try and jury rig something.

The idea is two long arms pivoting on the servo shaft and pushed by the servo arm, one at a time. They will both lie parallel at rest with a pin rising from the servo horn between them to push one or the other.

So I turned up a pivot that will fit into the top of the servo horn and be held down by the servo horn screw. There are two 4mm thick rings that will have 4mm square brass tube of approx 115mm in length soldered to them but first I have to mill some flats onto the rings to locate the tubes but I have done enough machining for today.

post-697-0-94743900-1420110527_thumb.jpg

post-697-0-62685800-1420110563_thumb.jpg

post-697-0-61023300-1420110584_thumb.jpg

And because I am learning from Michaels Skipjack build I have turned up a plug to go inside the two rings and hold them in perfect alignment when I put them into the mahine vice to mill the flats for the square tubes.

post-697-0-16315400-1420110620_thumb.jpg

post-697-0-19509500-1420110644_thumb.jpg

I don't understand the intricacies of working lines, but that does not stop me from recognizing first rate work and ingenuity!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

I just hope it works the way I think it will!

Steve I have every confidence that it will work perfectly. and thanks for the compliment.

michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

I've milled the rings and soldered the bars on, next step will be to fit it to the ship and work out the geometry of the pulls.

post-697-0-17512100-1420279014_thumb.jpg

post-697-0-02302800-1420279038_thumb.jpg

Before mounting I must remember to turn up the pin that will mount to the servo horn and engage the bars.

post-697-0-78371900-1420279062_thumb.jpg

Once it is mounted and I have worked out the geometry I will solder on the rings to tie off the lines to.

I am learning from using the lathe and as such decided to make something else for the ship, a tool.

I used to just have this as a piece of 2.4mm brass wire about 200mm long but thought I would make a better version for the sake of the exercise.

The tool is for tying off the running rigging to belaying pins. I catch the line in the groove at the end of the tool and while keeping tension further down on the cord I can easily place it around the pin, top and bottom.

post-697-0-52167100-1420280507_thumb.jpg

post-697-0-48799100-1420280547_thumb.jpg

post-697-0-96300300-1420280573_thumb.jpg

I am learning, the ferrule on the handle end is straight of the lathe and is a much better finish than the tool end which has been buffed with the dremel after soldering the tip in.

• 2 months later...

I should get back into this shouldn't I. I haven't touched it since before the endeavour voyage

Glad you're back.  I've missed you and your build.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I too am looking forward to some updates.

Michael

All right then, no one else has, so I will ask.  How was your Voyage on Endeavor????

Thanks guys

Walter, the rest have read what happened here http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8924-im-going-sailingon-the-endeavour/page-2#entry284966

Basically, 40 - 50 knot head winds, motoring all the way south, through 5 metre seas which was not pleasant. One injured forcing return to Sydney, one near death from illness forcing helicopter evac at sea and finally we broke the sprits'l yard which stays the fore top & t'gallant via the jib boom so had no alternative but to come about and raise sails to brace the masts, this meant heading back to Sydney and the voyage with the weather was beautiful, we all loved it and many of us, me included, are keen to go again. 

I have since learned that the James Graig tore sails in the storms we faced.

I am putting together a youtube clip for the museum showing the making of the new yard and will add it to the voyage thread when it is done.

I have so much on at the moment that progress will be slow on the schooner but I will get back into it.

Steve

• 2 years later...

Wow I can't believe it's been 2.5 years since I last posted on this, or did anything on the ship for that matter.

In a nutshell I have decided to strip her down and convert her to a powered ship which can be used as a tug perhaps. You see I was aiming at making the rigging work and I did it, that was my main goal. The trouble is that I can't see any way of successfully closing the deck without pulling out the running rigging and that's not possible.

On a side note, I have moved to outer Sydney and am a volunteer with the Sydney Heritage Fleet, the owners of the James Craig. I work on the 1902 steam tug Waratah and crew her on occasion. I guess I am getting a fair bit of ship experience there as well instead of the model work. That said I do have another interesting project in mind and it will test me in different ways.

Steve

• 10 months later...

Hi Steve, Great to hear that you are still building. I am curious about your plan to change the Bedford. Also Look forward to seeing some pictures of you 1:1 Ian Oughtred boat I was given a book of his design work for Christmas a few years ago. I shall look up the boat design when I get home.

Michael