Royal Louis 1759 by Demonborger - Mamoli - 1:90 - French Ship of the Line

Hi guys, this will be my first build log. It is of the Mamoli Royal Louis, it isn't exactly to the plans so far, the difference being main the bulwarks have been made thick and the railings are also a bit more bulky.

This is the photo of the kit.

http://www.mamolimodel.com/images/mv40.jpg

Don't expect great photography and don't expect a nice clean build (it's my first...).

I started it late December 2012.

Currently it has been double planked and I am in the process of adding the fittings and fixing up the paint. I also have to finish the bottom of the side galleries.

I redid the stern transom to fit it up, the kit has some cardboard inserts which I attached but i did not like, so i replaced them with plastic with X patterns etched into them.There was sadly a little bit of CA cloud but I suppose I will attribute it to a lack of cleaning of the glass :)

I won't be rigging the guns because at 1:90 scale the blocks and hooks won't look right.

Mamoli say the ship is the 1780 ship along with a fictitious blurb about the American War of Independence, from what I can see a ship called Royal Louis wasn't present at any significant engagement but more information would be appreciated. Having said that I kinda think the kit itself (and the Heller one) is based on the model of the 1759 Royal Louis that is held in the Musée de la Marine.

5576665036_1a07910fc7.jpg

On completion I will have sails that have been purchased separately. 

Any assistance regarding the history of the ship and in modeling matters will be much appreciated.

Rigging experts assistance will be very appreciated! 

Kits owned: Mamoli Royal Louis, Mamoli Friesland, Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90, Occre Santisima Trinidad, Constructo HMS Prince

• 2 weeks later...

I'm no help on the history of this ship, but I will follow along on your journey.   I hope you post some pictures of where she is today and older pics...

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Here are two pictures of the build, the first shows it at an earlier date before i re-planked the bow and keel and painted it. The job was ok but my preference was for white anti-fouling paint as it gave a better contrast.

post-887-0-70033200-1383532934_thumb.jpg

post-887-0-84960300-1383532938_thumb.jpg

Kits owned: Mamoli Royal Louis, Mamoli Friesland, Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90, Occre Santisima Trinidad, Constructo HMS Prince

Congratulations. I will be following your build log with great interest, as this same kit is most likely my next build, once I finish my Vasa.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

• 2 months later...

Hello.

Any updates on this build? I hope you didn't quit! You sure chose a tremendous kit as your first!!!

Cheers.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Ah yes, I have pinned on some of the midship chainplates and am doing parts of the deck furniture currently, but I am also distracted by other projects such as my Santisima Trinidad.

The idea is to complete the ships hulls including fittings and then do the masts for each and then the rigging.

post-887-0-70914100-1389673005_thumb.jpg

Oh my! Working on these two behemoths at the same time, should leave you little time for anything else!

Congrats and keep posting photos, please!

• 1 month later...

demonborger.

Have you done some research regarding if the hull of the 1780 Royal Louis was coppered or just protected with that anti-foul white stuff?

I have tried to find info, but all I got was that coppering started around 1700 in England. Says nothing about French vessels

Thank you.

I'm not sure what they did. I chose the white based upon the contemporary model of the Royal Louis and also because I love the look of white anti-fouling (I like the contrast more than with coppering).

From what I can see the Mamoli and Heller Royal Louis are actually of the 1759 ship and very much based upon the model in the French Naval Museum in Paris. I think they just chose to say 1780 because that Royal Louis had a slightly more vibrant service history (Third Battle of Ushant, foundered outside Brest). The 1759 Royal Louis spent a lot of time in dry dock and due to construction failures developed dry rot. The 1759 Royal Louis had sculptures by Caffieri.

In France they only began to experiment with copper on frigates in 1779. I'm not sure when they carried it over to first rates but several contemporary models of Ocean Class ships of the line had white anti-fouling paint, such as the Commerce De Marseilles model. There is a model of L'Ocean with coppering but that ship is much later than both the 1780 and 1759 Royal Louis'.

Thank you very much, demonborger. Good info!

• The title was changed to Royal Louis 1759 by Demonborger - Mamoli - 1:90 - French Ship of the Line