Santa Maria by Kimberley - FINISHED - Revell - PLASTIC - 1:90

Here is one of my models using the dot filter method of putting dots of oil paints and then using a mineral spirits soaked brush to "pull" or "wipe" the paint - each time in the same direction. Although kind of hard to see in the picture, the darker streaks and stains were made using this method. The tank was painted in a desert sand color, coated with Future (acrylic floor stuff), and then the filter method - brown if I recall correctly. Once the Future dries, the mineral spirits has no effect on it. It is an excellent method for weathering - streaks, stains, etc. Harder to see on the tools and cable, the rust color comes from orangish colored pastels mixed with water. Sorry about the size of the pic, but I haven't quite got the sizing down... My photo skills leave a little to be desired...

P4290476.jpg

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

Kim: Since I live in Mexico, its hard for me to tell you brands of threads and what to use.My suggestion is to go to a Michael's or a store where they sell knitting or sewing stuff. I have seen some threads that look very nice to use as rigging materials. Search for those that don't look plain. Buy several diameters in your choice of dark gray or dark brown for standing rigging and beige or manila for the running rigging. I wish I could be of more help.

Best regards.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

• 1 month later...

Nice work!  Always good to see another Santa Maria! 

- Bug

• 5 years later...