Santa Maria by Kimberley - FINISHED - Revell - PLASTIC - 1:90

Kimberley:

I would not get too discouraged. The model seems to be coming along well. Poor thread should not get you down. It happens.

I would get some better thread. The local crafts store should have a nice supply of thread that would work better. Yes, it is a bit more work, but you can make those shrouds look nice and taut with a little more effort. Chin up. This is part of the craft. :)  

Russ

Head up Kimberley, it's just one of this days happens to all of us once in a while.

As Russ said, get replacement thread and fix it !

Cheers,

Udo

Current builds:

Le Coureur 1776 - CAFmodel 1/48

VOC Retourship Batavia

Boston Typhoon steam trawler 1/32

Research/Side Projects/On Hold:

H.M. Bark Endeavour 

HMS Bounty 1787

Kimberly, I am sorry for the confusion. The lanyards I was referring to are the simulated (in plastic) ropes that have two deadeyes attached at either end; one end being at the chainplated and the other end (floating in the breeze) will attach to the shroud. The ropes that come with the kits (plastic and wood) is many times less than a quality material and we all, at times, find replacements for it. New rope and the experience of having already done it once should provide you with an outstanding finished product.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Kimberley. Just to reassure you that your placing of the bowsprit was correct: its foot passes the the foot of the foremast below deck and as the foremast is on the centreline the bowsprit is angled so it to comes up through the foc's'le off-centre.

Tucks, the architectural name given to the stern configuration. Most of the wooden model kits for pre-XVI th century vessels are supplied as square tucked because it's easier to model, so the stern is flat. Your model has a nice round bottom.  ;)

Al "San Fransisco I ", Bashed Al "Santa Maria", Scratch-built  Chinese Trading Junk

Hi Kimberly,

Tying shrouds can be like herding cats.  Tighten one and the other loosens third down on the opposite side.  After a while some are tight and some are all loose and goosey.  I have found that it is easier to keep them all a little loose and secured with a single hitch and then start to taught each one little by little, from side to side, until they are all equally taunt and the mast is strait.  Then I tie my knot and seal it.

Agree that the kit thread is probably poo, so go the craft store and pick out some thread that I would say "feels right".  I mean find something that feels easy to handle and tie.  I used  thick "coat and button" thread when I was learning because is behaved well in my novice hands, didn't fray when cut, and was cheap.

Also pick up some Beeswax, usually at the craft store in the candle section.  We run our line through it so that is keeps the line manageable when laying out the line and it seems to act as a lubricant with passing the line through blocks, holes ,and when tying hitches and knots. 

Keep up the great work. 

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

Thank you everyone for the information and tips.  There is no way to redo them, so I am just moving forward.  It was just very disheartening when they turned out so bad, because I had everything else looking great.  The string part is the toughest part for me, but I will persevere.  All I can do is keep at it, and one day I will have it down.  I sure wish I had one of you nearby to show me how to do it correctly.  I am using the other thread they had in the kit to finish the top rigging. 

I am in the process of painting my sails right now.  I have found that it is difficult to actually know exactly how they are to be cut when cutting them out.  The lines are sometimes incorrect, but I am learning that also.  They do not give much information on how they want the sails tied on, so I am going to wing it.  Thankfully, I now have some experience with sails. 

I found that one of the big advantages of using the white glue and water mixture on my knots is that it was super easy to undo them later if I made a mistake.  Just add a little water and the they come undone.  I'm not saying you have to re-do them, but if you just glued the ends tied at the ship side, you might be able to.

Your ship is looking good though - keep up the good work.

Andy.

Well, here she is.  I will post better pictures tomorrow.  I left the shrouds like they were.  It would have been very difficult for me to try to get them off, and it probably would have made things worse.  It is another lesson learned.  I did learn how to do the decals that you stick in water first.  Plus, I am getting better at doing a lot things.  

post-7263-0-88560400-1383796021_thumb.jpg

Kimberley:

The model looks good. I think the sails came out rather nicely. Good work.

Russ

very nice............very nice indeed!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Here are better pictures of my ship.  Sorry, but I did not put up the cheap paper flags.  I think they are tacky.  I don't know what my next build will be yet.  What are the cross bars that you put the sails on called?  Anyway, I think I did the back one incorrectly.  I think it was supposed to be tilted.  It did seem weird the way they had the mast done in the middle for that bar.  They were not very clear on how to do it.  I had to be clever on where to tie the front sail off of.  The tiny picture did not really show where the bottom ropes were supposed to be tied to.  I have learned sometimes you have to come up with clever ways of doing certain things.  You know they really need people who don't know how to put these ships together to test their directions to see if the directions are clear enough for people to understand.

post-7263-0-15123300-1383844551_thumb.jpg

post-7263-0-92171400-1383844571_thumb.jpg

post-7263-0-40988400-1383844594_thumb.jpg

post-7263-0-88851000-1383844636_thumb.jpg

post-7263-0-87296900-1383844654_thumb.jpg

WOW Kimberley, she looks GREAT!!! The bars I think you are referring to are called spars...Sometimes (depending on wind direction), they are slanted, but that is entirely up to you. Your sails look fantastic and so is the ship overall. You have done so well perhaps you could help me with my Bireme Greek Warship.  I salute you Kimberley!!

Creativity Heart & Soul!

Happy Model Ship Building Friends!

John E.

Wow Kim... you already finish it!!! Congratulations. Yes instructions sometimes leave a lot to be desired. In most ships that rear sail is called a "lateen" and it usually goes parallel to the length of the ship. See photos. Although here the sail is furled, you get the idea.

Let us know as soon as you can what your next build will be!!! :)

post-975-0-97322200-1383848007_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-17083000-1383848018_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ulises Victoria

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Wow! Great work! I have been building plastic models for the better part of 20 years - aircraft, armor, and a couple of ships. I must say, that yours looks awesome! I haven't done a Revell ship since the old Constitution way back when. Keep up the good work - all of the problems are just lessons, although I don't see any mistakes in yours! Great job!

Kim: Either of these two kits will be a more challenging but not impossible kit for you. (I think)

The Bounty may be easier on the paint, but the Golden Hind will be much more attractive to look at.

I would love to assure you that those ornaments are decals, but unfortunately, I don't know.

Heller is finer, in my opinion.

Hope this helps :)

http://www.amazon.com/Revell-RVLS5404-H-M-S-Bounty/dp/B0000AC9BD/ref=pd_sim_sbs_t_2

http://www.amazon.com/Heller-Golden-Hind-Model-Building/dp/B0002HZZ0Q/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&qid=1383848986&sr=8-27&keywords=plastic+sailing+ships

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Kimberly,

I am very impressed with how your build came out.  I love the sails :cheers:

I have to agree with Ulises, the Bounty would be an excellent next choice.  I built one, pictured, for my Mother many years ago and just built another one last year for my Mother in Law.

post-3680-0-65718600-1383856250_thumb.jpg

Marine Models USF Essex

I like these pictures better........shows off the ship more.    you did very well with it.........great job!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for the pictures to show me an example.  Wow, that is a pretty ship.  Ulises what do you think of the Heller Pinta?  http://www.amazon.com/Heller-Christopher-Columbus-Pinta-Building/dp/B0002HZYZW/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1383854555&sr=1-1&keywords=heller+pinta

It does not look as overwhelming as the Golden Hind.  Would it be a good one to get my feet wet with building Heller models?  Is 1/75 scale really small for the Pinta?

John and Spaceman Spiff that you for the compliments.  I wish my shrouds would have turned out better.  She would look so much better if they were not loose.  Plus, I am not so sure I like the way I painted the sails.  That was a tip in the directions of using watered down paint.

Wow Scott.  That is a nice looking ship.  Are those real ratlines on the Bounty, or the pre-made ones?

Yes, I am making some wonderful friends that have been so helpful and supportive.

Edited by Kimberley

Congrats on seeing it through! She looks great and the rigging looks fine!!

You did an outstanding job on your build long you should be proud. I will have to do one some day but my Conny is more than halfway done now.

I think we started around the same time but I am dragging my feet ;)

Anyhow congrats and look forward to your next project.!

PS I saw you asked about the crosses on the sails and in browsing around I stumbled over this on Flicker, think you might like it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sonypic/4992531237/in/photostream/

Kim:

Yes the Pinta would be a nice choice also. In fact you can buy all 3 Columbus' ships in a single kit. My Santa María came from there.

This set is not very easy to get.

http://www.amazon.com/Heller-Hel52910G-Christopher-Colombus-Plastic/dp/B00B3S2RVI/ref=sr_1_96?ie=UTF8&qid=1383863535&sr=8-96&keywords=heller+ship+model+kits

It may be a bit expensive but you have all the 3 ships in a single package and I bet you will build a better Santa Maria the second time. ;)

Another suggestion: Just go to amazon.com and search for "Heller ship" or "Heller model". You will find many more choices.

Regarding your paint job in the sails. It's OK... it just looks like you over did it. Remember that in this case, less is better. STOP before, not after. ;)

Edit: Ooops I just saw the price of shipping the Heller 3 ship set in Amazon is $30.00 dlls. That makes the total cost around 100 bucks. That's way too high. :(

Best of luck.

Kimberly,

I would definitely get the Heller Nina and Pinta.  They are smaller that the Santa Maria, great fit, and are fun to put together.  However, I must warn you, the instructions are translated French and are kinda buggers to follow, but again, you now have experience on how a plastic ship model goes together so should enjoy the builds.

Squadron Mail Order has both of these kits in stock.

P.S. the ratlines are plastic.  I built this back when I was just starting and felt I wanted to spend time practicing laying up standing and running rigging than spend hours sewing ratlines.

Marine Models USF Essex

Okay, so I am ordering the Heller Pinta on Amazon.  I need to get a foam work cradle.  What size do I get?  I made a homemade one out of styrofoam for my Santa Maria.  I am also ordering "How to Build Plastic Model Ships" by Lester Wilken. 

Spaceman, yes I use the valejo paints.  I like them.  What do you use on your ships?

Kim: That book is an excellent source of information at your stage. It's old, but what's in it is perfectly valid. I still have it.

Once you read it, you may want to tackle something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002HZ37G/ref=s9_simh_co_p21_d1_i4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=left-3&pf_rd_r=0HRDEJCAWZK24JRERQ2K&pf_rd_t=3201&pf_rd_p=1280661842&pf_rd_i=typ01

This Victory will be a step up challenge for you :)

Wish you the best.

Okay, so I am ordering the Heller Pinta on Amazon.  I need to get a foam work cradle.  What size do I get?  I made a homemade one out of styrofoam for my Santa Maria.  I am also ordering "How to Build Plastic Model Ships" by Lester Wilken. 

Spaceman, yes I use the valejo paints.  I like them.  What do you use on your ships?

As of now, I use Model Master paints - I am currently working on a resin (with a ton of photo-etch added) 1/350 LPH-11 U.S.S. New Orleans which was my Dad's carrier. I have never used acrylics outside of the Valejo for figures - except for using a few colors (blacks, browns,etc.) for washes, and maybe Tamiya's clear blue over jet exhaust...other than that, I only really use enamels. I have also used oils/mineral spirits as a means of weathering - I can't remember the "official" name of this method (filtering, maybe?), but it consists of putting dots of oil paints on the model and using a mineral spirits wet brush to streak the oil paint, which works very well and is very simple to use. If I can find a few pics I will put them up for you. I have yet to start a wooden ship, but have one waiting after I finish this. Well, that and a couple of snap-tite kits I will be doing with my four year old son.

Thanks,

Eric

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

Ulises the Victory looks like a good one.  Maybe that will be my next one.  This Heller Pinta is small and really simple to put together.  I was a little disappointed.  I should have listened to you guys.  I did start a build log for my Pinta.

I need help.  It did not come with rigging thread.  I know some of you have mentioned that you use different threads that you find in the hobby stores.  Can you please tell me what you guys use.  The rigging part is what I really want to get down pat.  I think I have caught on to a lot of the other stuff.  I still need to work on my painting skills.

Eric I started with the Testor enamels, but I have switched over to the acrylics.  I find them easier to use and cleanup.  Though, I do like the way the enamel looks.  I did find an acrylic gloss I can put over the paint if I want to.  I hope you can find some pictures for me.