Hi all,

hope this is the proper place/way to post this. My name is Sasha Beliaev, I'm a CG professional (games, film) living in Vancouver, BC. Here's my website with some old samples: www.scrawnypaws.com

I work on a personal project that involves building 3D ships from construction drawings (Ancre, G.Delacroix). I'm looking for a person with the following skillset:

- familiarity with 17-18 c. ship structure and functionality

- intermediate to good to expert modelling skills (3ds max preferably, or anything that converts to .max or .obj, NO Rhino please); low to mid poly count, clean modelling, UV unwrapping (if possible)

- ability to interpret and riff off a historical design/prototypes

It's a paid job (compensation TBD) and a professional project, too. No beginners, please.

If you're interested, up to the task or know somebody who fits the description, please drop me a line.

Thank you very much indeed.

Sasha

Sounds like a very interesting project. May I ask why you chose ANCRE plans? Is this just about french vessels?

And what is a low-to-mid polycount for a sailing ship? 20k tris? 100k tris? Curious minds and all that...^^

By the way, just had a look at your website, great modelling (the Suprise has a couple of inaccuracies, though), but I really fell in love with your drawings/paintings.You have a very nice style with an unique atmosphere :)

Hi,

thank you for the reply. Surprise is not a Surprise at all - it's an inexpert mixture of 2 ships. It's an old model, too.

French plans: they are accurate. :) Poly count: 1.5-2M with instanced geo before mesh smoothing. Level of detail for up-close rendering.

Edited by scrawnypaws

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...