5 cannon raised from wreck of Blackbeard's ship

BareHook

From Assoc Press

Archeologists have recovered five more cannon from the wreck Blackbeard's flagship, the Queen Anne's Revenge.

The largest of the guns raised Monday weighs about 3,000 pounds. The wreckage of the ship is in Beaufort Inlet.

Project Director Billy Ray Morris says historians think the largest cannon was made in Sweden, indicating that Blackbeard had guns from different countries. State officials say about 280,000 artifacts have been recovered from the wreck.

The Queen Anne's Revenge ran aground in 1718.

Current Build: Authentic Hannah Kit Bash

Pending Continuation: Sea of Galilee Boat

Completed Build:  MS AVS

On Shelf: AL Independence, Blue Jacket Alfred

I might be way of here but I believe that brass and iron beeing high prized and hard to come by in those days a good cannon was not layed to rest.

This means that ships could carry cannons of different origins as they were prizes. Especially on privateer ships or pirates for that matter.

Then again I suppose that a ship of the line would have had cannons from their "home country"

It would be interresting to hear the thoughts of someone more knowledgeble on the subject.

Oh, and is this were we can find the origins of BOFORS and the inspiration for Alfred Nobel?. :P

Erik

There's a chance they could also be ballast guns. It was common practice to take condemned guns, knock the trunnions off them and use them as ship's ballast. In the event of a wreck, if any salvage was attempted, they would have been ignored.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Oh, and is this were we can find the origins of BOFORS and the inspiration for Alfred Nobel?. :P

Erik,

I guess you would know! :)

As has already been mentioned, ships often carried guns from different countries if they were thought suitable, and in the case of a pirate ship they would most likely have come from their captures – which would have been sensible.

So far as Swedish guns were considered, I believe they were thought superior to many in Europe. British guns were also well founded, but Swedish guns even have been found in the wrecks of RN ships.

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Interesting. Blackbeard was known to frequent my town of Savannah - in fact, one of the buildings (taverns) he "visited" is still standing and today is known as the Pirate's House - it is the oldest building in Savannah. Something little known: Blackbeard died in the Pirate's House.  As far as food goes, it is an average place but has a very interesting history. In one corner, there is a hole leading to a tunnel that runs to the Savannah River. In those times, it was used by pirates to shanghai drunken sailors and have them serve on their ship. Interesting indeed.

The discovery leads to me to ask this question: Just how are they able to identify a certain shipwreck? Like Blackbeard's for instance - unless there is a name that is readable, how can they positively say it was his ship? Of course, some will say records indicate a ship sank...or whatever. But, to me, that still wouldn't give absolute proof. Is there any way to positively identify a wreck that has deteriorated well beyond recognition? Thanks!

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

That's awesome that they could identify that! My question is how they can identify a shipwreck if the ship has deteriorated and nothing discernible remains?

It is a question of probabilities. They can usually guesstimate the dimensions of the wreck from the position of the remains, nails, bolts, cannon and other things that have not disappeared.

Then they can make a educated guess of the age from the artifacts; this wreck can't have sunk before 1713 when the cannon were cast. Any coins found can narrow it down even further.

And then they go through the archives, wrecks usually leave traces in insurance claims, churches note bodies that have to be buried, there might be court proceedings.

Putting all that together leaves the probable suspects.