US Brig Syren by Pygothian - Model Shipways - Scale 1:64 - 1st Build

Sorry for the delay in starting the build, I've been struck down with a virulent case of man-flu and I'm sure a bit of scurvy too.

My other half has said she will call the undertaker if I don't get out of bed soon.

With some luck I'll have the strength to mount my shiny new No 11 scapel blade and start slicing some laser burnt remnants!

Happy building all, and I'll be back on board soon.

Cheers

Rowan

Current Build - US Brig Syren - Model Shipways - 1:64 - 1st wood build

Armed Virginia Sloop with complimentary 8x paint MS paint set - Model Shipways - Ordered 31st October 2013

Victory Cross Section - Corel - Ordered 15th October

Feel better, Rowan.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Get better Rowan, I got my build log started yesterday and Im looking forward to seeing yours.

Charley

Thanks, still laid up in bed with the ipad researching. I just checked out your log, looking very good.

I've corded new rope and dead eyes etc from Chuck, and they will be here hopefully Monday.

I'm just looking into substitute wood, as knowing my luck, I'll need extra wood anyway, but using higher quality wood might make life easier too.

I've been advised holly makes a good deck wood, boxwood is good for hulls.

I love the Swiss pear colour, and want to do a lot of the deck details with that, as it apparently is easy to carve.

I've been told Ebony is good for the wales too, if you don't want to paint the wood black.

Armed Virginia Sloop with complimentary 8x paint MS paint set - Model Shipways - Ordered 31st October 2013

Cherry is nice to work with and is also good for deck furniture. Ebony is hard to work with (very hard) and what works well for the wales is something else pre-stained with India ink. I had already painted my wales when I learned of this, but I used this method on the catheads and stern davits. Touch up is easy and transparent also.

Current build: US Brig Syren (MS)

Larry Van Es

Former President

Ship Modelers Association

Fullerton California

http://www.shipmodelersassociation.org

trip 134

Holly is great for a deck and boxwood for a hull. I'm using both on Fly and can testify for their qualities. Rafine's stunning builds here also use that combo - have a look at his Fair American and, more recently, his Essex. I have also heard that ebony is very difficult to use and has very nasty dust.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Holly is great for a deck and boxwood for a hull. I'm using both on Fly and can testify for their qualities. Rafine's stunning builds here also use that combo - have a look at his Fair American and, more recently, his Essex. I have also heard that ebony is very difficult to use and has very nasty dust.CheersAlistair

Cool, I'll check out your Fly to get an idea of the look.

Thanks

Rowam

Still feeling too sick to start building, but got some goodies in the mail today.

Full replacement rigging and blocks in Swiss pear from Chuck!

post-6700-0-14556200-1384250602_thumb.jpg

post-6700-0-81017700-1384250779_thumb.jpg

Also got a few other goodies

post-6700-0-52232500-1384250886_thumb.jpg

And a MS waterway marker as I'm probably to lazy to build my own jig

post-6700-0-82169600-1384250905_thumb.jpg

Hopefully I'll get started this week once the antibiotics kick in

Ohh.. great lot of new toys:) I will be watching with interest.. you will probably catch up to me before long.  I have been playing with my carronades and sleds - got myself a natty little toy coming for my build too.. just hope it works!

I need to order some Chuck blocks too..... They look so nice compared to the commercial ones.

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

Schooner for Port Jackson

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

I wish I'd have thought of this before I made my waterline again and again before getting one that was half right. A couple of day ago I was hanging a tapestry that we had bought in Paris and it was going to be hard to get it straight where it was located . Then I remembered a level with a laser that my kids had gotten me years ago. As it turns out I had a good waterline marker in my garage the whole time.

post-492-0-77869000-1384287538_thumb.jpg

post-492-0-31259200-1384287566_thumb.jpg

post-492-0-54551300-1384287579_thumb.jpg

Current build: US Brig Syren (MS)

Larry Van Es

Former President

Ship Modelers Association

Fullerton California

http://www.shipmodelersassociation.org

trip 134

Oooo I love the laser gadget. I used a Heath Robinson contraption to mark the water line for my Granado as I am too mean to spend money on a tool that is used so infrequently. I guess that just reinforces the Scottish stereotype :P

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

I wish you all the luck and patience with building you will need ( and you WILL need it, no doubt)

Read instructions manuals and plans 5x for each step

Think about them and analyze it 10x

Re-read it and re-think it again 2x

And then - cut and glue

(I did not, so run in deep trouble)

I ll watching your progress with great interest

Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

• 1 month later...

And, what happen with your build ?

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

• 3 weeks later...