The 74 Gun Ship Volume 1 Hull Construction - Boudriot

I'm blown away by this book (and overwhelmed). This book totally helps me decipher the set of Boudriots 74 Gun Ship Plans in French I bought last year on this site.   In conjunction with my recent purchases of the "Le Gros Ventre" and the "Commerce De Marseille" monographs (and the rumored purchase of Frolichs "Art of Ship Modeling" by my wife for my Bday next week) - I'm well on my way! 

Edited by ChrisLBren

Chris, my copy arrived last night and you're spot on, and I'm in total agreement with you--it's a phenomenal work to say the least!  Needless to say, I didn't get to bed until way late last night!   :P  And if your wife did get you Frolich, mmmm buddy you're in for a treat--it's a stunningly excellent work (that one that has also kept me up into the wee hours)!  As a supplement to Frolich's book, here's a link to his website:  http://modelisme.arsenal.free.fr/artdumodelisme/indexgb.html

Cheers,

Jay

Current Build:

• 2 months later...

Chris,

By "this site", do you mean  this website, Model Ship World? I'm interested in plans for a French 74 but I don't think there are any plans here. At least I couldn't find any. I just bought all four of the of Boudriot's LE VAISSEAU – DE 74 CANON  (English version) which I have known about for a great many years but could never seem to be able to part with 450$ to obtain them.  

.......This book totally helps me decipher the set of Boudriots 74 Gun Ship Plans in French I bought last year on this site......"

Edited by JTownsend

ba35eb79-7a8e-4eab-bbf5-f3e3c66a9218.png

__________________________________________________________________________________

As far as I know, those plans and books are only available new on the ANCRE site.  We have no plans of a French 74 on MSW. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

.....  We have no plans of a French 74 on MSW. 

Hi Mark!

That's exactly what I thought too. I'm new here BTW. It turns out that Taubman has 1/72 plans of a French 74 consisting of 31(?) sheets at 90$, or so they say. I wrote them about 15 mins ago to ask exactly what the plans are, where they came from, and whether of a Téméraire class ship like Le Superbe (1784) or what. Like I said before, I bought Boudriot Series on the 74 Gun Ship - am waiting on them to arrive. It's been a great many years since I've seen Boudriot's 74 Gun Ship volumes as most libraries don't have them.  So I can't remember what the time period of the vessels  covered in Boudriot was. A rather rare set of books, to say the least. But as I remember the books (almost 25 years ago), there is hardly any better. My impression back then was: with these volumes you can practically build a 74!

John

BTW I have been following your Licorne build -- very nice indeed!

Regards, John

Edited by JTownsend

__________________________________________________________________________________

John - did you get the plans as well? They sell them as a seperate package on the Ancre site. I had got the books then ordered the plan package later.

PS. The 74 is based on one that would be found in the French fleet around 1780 (from the Forward in Vol 1)

Cheers

Rob

Edited by robbl

Current build: HMS Blanche 1800, Scratch POF

.....John - did you get the plans as well? .....

Thanks for your reply Rob! No actually I didn't get the plans.  I got the Boudriot series as a used set from an antique/rare bookseller---the shipping for a new set from France from Ancre would be astronomical for the four volume set. I know there are 1/72 plans from Taubman for a 74 but I don't know whether these agree with Boudriot or what time period they represent or anything. Or even where they come from. I'm aware of the Monograph for the 74 at Ancre, but I was reluctant because of the shipping costs. I'm just not sure what to do at the moment.

Cheers, John

Edited by JTownsend

I did the same, got the volumes 2nd hand apart from v4. So I ordered that from Ancre and I saw the plan pack listed under the books on the product page for the 4 volumes(ie not as a seperate monograph)

The pack is the size of a moderate A4 size paperback, so postage is not too bad.

Rob,

Here is the link to Taubman: http://www.taubmansonline.com/

LE VAISSEAU – DE 74 CANON GUNSHIP

French 74-Gunship, frames lofted from Plans.

ProductID: JBP-74

LE VAISSEAU PLANS

1/72 Scale

31-Sheets

Price: 90.00

Notice it says "frames lofted from plans". Hmmmm.  As of yet I really don't know what I'd get for my money if I bought these. Not sure which ship they represent. Not sure if the 31(?) sheets is a misprint either (I have a feeling that's THREE sheets not 31!). See, with the Boudriot series books I KNEW EXACTLY what I was getting because I studied these books back in the early-nineties after they first came out. And they have no equal that I'm aware of. I wrote Taubman to ascertain exactly what the plans are- waiting on a reply.

Edited by JTownsend

John,

Have a look through the scratch area.  There's a few French 74's that have been built or are underway.  As for the ANCRE plans, I have the Bonhomme Richard monograph and I've seen the works by others around here that use their plans.  You really can't go wrong with them.  As I recall, the shipping for the monograph I got wasn't that bad. 

Thanks for the kind words on my Licorne.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Rob,

Upon further reflection I think that I will buy the planches for 42 Euros. Just for completeness sake. Heck, in for a penny, in for a pound. Not to mention it's good thing to give Mr Berti a bit of business, now isn't it? Who else sells this kind of thing? Few and far between.

I have an interest in the French 74 design of the 1780's. I take it you do as well?

Edited by JTownsend

Yes I do, but then again I like a lot of the other Ancre subjects as well. The 74 volumes are great reading, and also a good reference for how some of the other Boudriot subjects are built.

I'm not sure I could do a 74, but I love the ones being built in the logs here. Looking forward to your log now too :)

John,

Have a look through the scratch area.  There's a few French 74's that have been built or are underway.  As for the ANCRE plans, I have the Bonhomme Richard monograph and I've seen the works by others around here that use their plans.  You really can't go wrong with them.  As I recall, the shipping for the monograph I got wasn't that bad. 

Thanks for the kind words on my Licorne.

Thanks. I'll do that. And after all it's a monograph not a four volume set (now the shipping on those is a serious problem)- John

Thanks. I'll do that. And after all it's a monograph not a four volume set (now the shipping on those is a serious problem)- John

As I recall the cost was/is a serious issue also... four volumes worth.  ;)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

31 sounds close to the number so maybe it is the same pack as sold by ancre

And looking at taubman I'd say it definitely is

If you want I can spread them out when I get home and take an overview photo a couple of hours from now.

The number is close to 31? Really ?? I didn't get the impression from Ancre's site that there was anything close 31 sheets. I was going to buy the packet from Ancre just for completeness sake- I didn't expect that there would be that many sheets, just a one or two. But if that is the case, I think that is all the more reason. If you would be so kind then, would you please spread them out and send me an overview photo ? Thanks very much in advance.

Edited by JTownsend

Overestimated my floor/table space

31 sheets is the correct number.

I have opened up some representative sheets and left the rest folded in the stack. One of the books is in there for scale.

post-39-0-75235400-1390201508_thumb.jpg

Cheers
Rob

post-39-0-01240600-1390201746_thumb.jpg

Edited by robbl

Thanks for posting that Rob. I think I will get the Ancre packet. Just for the pleasure of unfolding them and dreaming of building one, as you say; also for completeness sake since I already own the four volume set of  Boudriot's 74 Gun Ship. Next on my book list for this year is Bernard Frölich  Art of Ship Modeling.

Thanks. Cheers. John

I bought the 74 Plans from Bourdriot first from a seller on this site.  In order to decipher them - I bought the first three volumes of the 74 Gun ship from various sources including ebay for Volume 1.  The plans do correspond with the fold outs in the books themselves as you've already mentioned.  

It is an idealized representation of a 74 - not an actual ship.  I am using these volumes as a guide to build Le Gros Ventre and the Commerce de Marseille as L'Orient - since both of these monographs have full hull timbering drafted for you.  You will need to do a little drafting in order to build the 74 full frame.  It wouldn't be an issue if you wish to build her plank on bulkhead.  

Hope this helps,

Chris

.......  You will need to do a little drafting in order to build the 74 full frame.  It wouldn't be an issue if you wish to build her plank on bulkhead.

Hope this helps,

Chris

What is lacking in the plans that prevents one from using them as is? Or perhaps I should ask what additional drafting would be required on my part? Thanks for your reply.

In the 74 Gun Ship Series there are only 6 Station Frames drafted.  You would need to draft the others - which again if you should be able to do with all of the information provided.  You may want to reach out to Gaetan B - he has build the French 74 three times in three different scales.   Hope this helps,

Chris