What Knots on ratlines? (edited by admin)

jd99

Currently doing the rat lines on my Fair American, and was wondering what type of knots some of you do.

I am using a clove hitch to tie my rat lines to the shrouds. Do any of you use another kind of knot to tie your rat lines?

The rat lines are the most time consuming and monotonous type of rigging I think.... Be glad when this is done.

Thanks

Danny

I will start tying ratlines in my Vasa pretty soon. I'm starting a mental preparation to get ready for hours upon hours of clove hitch knots tying. (Yes, this is the right knot to use here)

Patience, my friend.

Edited by Ulises Victoria

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Depending on the scale a clove hitch is the only way to go.  At smaller scales a simple overhand knot will suffice.

David B

Yup, as David and Ulises commented, clove hitches are the knots to use.  BUT, if your scale is small, then you could simply push a needle thru the shrouds, and just use an overhand knot on the outside shrouds.  Apply a drop of diluted white glue; do not use CA.  By small, I mean the ratlines look good with the needle method.

If it gets too boring, work on the yards, or the anchors, or the launch, then come back another day.

Duffer

Had to look up what a cow hitch knot was, and you are absolutely right! :)

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

I know most MSW members say no CA on rigging, but at the end of the video he says when he is finished he will go back and put CA on each knot.  Why not CA on rigging?

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Bob:

CA may be an option, but I prefer diluted white glue or flat clear lacquer because these have enough strength to do the job and will not leave a shiny spot or a white residue, nor run through my lines making them stiff, brittle and prone to break.

Just my personal preference. 

Good video. To keep the spacing consistent I read that cutting a piece of card to the required spacing helps. It certainly helped me! Now to look up a cow hitch! ;)

Found it - good old Wikipedia

Edited by Craigie65

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

One of the main reasons for not using CA on riiging knots is after awhile the knot will become britle and might break.

David B

Actually, the CORRECT way to tie a Ratline is to EYE SPLICE the two outer ones, and use Clove Hitches for the inner shrouds. The pics below show how I did them on my Norfolk Sloop :

Ratline Tying 001.jpg

Ratline Tying 002.jpg

Ratline Tying 004.jpg

Ratline Tying 005.jpg

Ratline Tying 006.jpg

The "Cow Hitch" (I can't remember if that's the correct name for this knot) is an alternative that looks much neater than a Clove Hitch for the two outer ones, as Janos mentioned. Here's how to tie them :

Ratline Tutorial 002.jpg

Ratline Tutorial 003.jpg

Ratline Tutorial 007.jpg

Note the tails of the Cow Hitches are both on the lower part of each knot, meaning that the two knots are mirrors of each other.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi