SpyGlass

HMS Pegasus by simonthepieman - Victory Models - 1/64 - started by SpyGlass

Just waved goodbye to Pegasus - I am sure Simon will do a great job,

post-905-0-63716700-1470387719_thumb.jpg

A last note or two.

*The top of the stem is broken off a bit ( early whoops)  but I did not replace the piece yet because I thought that it might be better to do it as I did the figure head which wraps around the piece and "build a figure head block "to fix in one piece) (i have the piece Simon)

*just a single wale strip is in place which may need a teeny trim at the aft end  - I left it a tad long until I decided how to treat the stern as a whole

*The stern of the hull and the constructed stern windows are more curved than the kit design

*obviously the ports are not trimmed - I had added some internal framing to the lidded ports which I was getting dubious about and considering removing

SO Simon - over to you

Bon Voyage

Edited by SpyGlass

Hi Spy

I'm very sorry to hear about your health problems and wish you all the best.

At least you can continue your Pickle. And having built both Pickle and Pegasus I have to confirm that - at least for me - Pickle is the more elegant and beautiful of the two.

Take care

peter

Thanks all 

but dont get too concerned - my health is dramatically improved

But i cannot get my broken bicep tendon replaced so I am always going to have some difficulties holding things at certain angle and that is my Pegasus problem - but no problem at all with Pickle which is that much smaller

Pegasus has arrived at her new home (ship-yard!)

Thanks to Spyglass for leaving excellent notes and packing up the kit like new. Work so far looks impressive. Just going through the notes and instructions and hoping to get a little bit done before my holiday next week.

Can anyone guide me on how to put images on this build log?  I would rather carry this one on than start a fresh.

Well i can do that

• Open the reply window - bottom right hand corner says "More Reply Options" - select that.

• Then below the reply window  left hand corner there is a little blue icon "Choose Files"

Click  and then browse and select files from PC

• Once selected they are transferred and come up in a list above the  blue icon

(note if the file is too big a pink error message comes up)

• So the files are now ready to be entered into your message

• Place cursor in message where you want the image and click "add to post" under the required image

• Repeat as required !

Simon I will leave it to you to get the moderators to change the title of this thread and assign ownership to you

Good sailing

Edited by SpyGlass

Pegasus finally in her new boat yard. After clearing some space to build her, I found all the old boat building tools and got the Dremmel tool set up.

Despite some domestic challenges, it's been great to take a little time to ponder this build. There is much to admire on what SpyGlass has done already so I won't need to change anything. Just needed to find the next thing to do and get stuck in. 

post-6119-0-23748300-1471290094.jpg

When a glorious free afternoon became available, I decided to start work on the Inner Bulwalks and tidying up the canon holes. I thought painting the lower plank red would save on cutting in the painting later.

Is there any point in worrying about the Inner Bulwalks under the upper decks? Pretty sure they will never be seen. Trying not to cut corners, just considering where to focus on getting it perfect. Honest :D

post-6119-0-18758300-1471290453.jpg

post-6119-0-72831800-1471290453.jpg

Well that is totally brilliant !! The problem that really stopped me was my difficulty in handling the  hull to cut the gunports .

Its a real treat to see them looking so good . I am chuffed for us !

A point I forgot to note SImon - I had decided to NOT cut out the sweep ports - but I dont think anything I did actually affects that.

Oh and- the pins in the fore decks and beams were put into drilled holes deliberately not to grip too tight as a temporary fix so they should all come off easily.    ( watch that fancy one at the fore part of the quarter deck though)

You should also find that the pin holes in the off build quarter deck match the drilled holes in the beams below. 

The  " framed ports" under the decks is your call . They were intended to provide a port step for the lids but I realised that cutting the outside shape of the ports without damaging the fake frames was virtually impossible so they were just a dead end.

Frankly whipping them off ( I think I used CA ) and lining the bulwarks would not be more than a few hours work but you will have noticed that my planking detail tails off quickly under the decks anyway.

So youre the captain now !

Edited by SpyGlass

Thanks SpyGlass. It's a beautiful boat to work on and I feel privileged that you have entrusted me with her. I may be the Captain now, but you'll always be an honorable officer of this boat!

I must confess that I did not make a great job of cutting the gun ports either, but thankfully nothing a file couldn't tidy up! I have started cutting out the sweep ports but they will need tidying up when the bulwalk planking is done.

A removable fore deck is very handy. Hoping to get that off so I can plank and paint the inside before finishing the upper decking.

I am happy with your framed ports. I think they look fine but I am not sure anyone would notice the change after they have been painted red and the stern upper deck is on. So I'll probably leave them as they are. As the old proverb says: “What the eyes don't see, the heart doesn't grieve over.”  ;) 

Just finishing the inner balwalks but getting confused so in need of some advice. Do I cut the inner bulwalk planking to the lighter moulding or the darker outer planking? Does it matter? It would mean filling a gap or trimming the outer planking?

post-6119-0-31264400-1477576295.jpg

post-6119-0-17252800-1477576296.jpg

Sorry - my fault - I deliberately left the outer planking over size and just cut it to an approximation - the ply is the correct line.

Same if I remember fore and aft decks

Its probably easier just to plan the inner planks a bit oversize too and then just sand both plankings at the same time.

Note that there is a fancy bit of capping rail at this point you may wish to check that out before sanding down..

PS Like the sweep ports  !

Edited by SpyGlass

Thanks Spyglass, I'll check out the capping rail. The sweep ports took a while and I am still not entirely happy with them so I've ordered a new needle file set. I'll finish painting the bulwalks first; she comes to life with a little paint.

I have eventually got some heat into the workshop and managed more than a few minutes without loosing the feeling in my toes. Main progress has been painting the inner bulwalks and planking on the stern raised deck. It is loose at the moment as there is still quite a bit of work to do on the hull and on the deck itself. Really looking forward to adding the hull detail and the capping rail as this kit has some beautiful fittings.

post-6119-0-87705600-1483466231_thumb.jpg

Help! I wanted to fit the capping rails today,  but to do this I need to fix the upper decks in position permanently (quarter deck and fore deck). Once I do this, I will surely be unable to fit in the guns properly later on as they will be difficult to access. Previous build did not have guns under the quarter deck so this is a new problem for me . Can anyone point me in the right direction or offer some advice? It must be a common issue.

Thanks in advance!

Far too early in the build to be thinking about the capping rails or fitting the Foc'sle or Quarterdecks, or fitting the guns.

The exterior mouldings and wales need to be fitted first, and the coppering of the bottom if you intend to do it. Internally there are the hatches and gratings to be fitted.

The guns below the Foc'sle and Q'decks are fitted before the decks go in, but a simplified arrangement would be to fit the carriages and pin them to the deck, and feed the guns thro' the ports later to be secured with c.a.

B.E.

I give you Spyglass fiddle # 372 on guns under decks

1 Take barrel   - drill vertical hole through suitable size to take brass wire

2 Assemble barrel  and carriage in place on deck

3 Drill through the barrel hole and through carriage into deck.

4  Insert brass wire to check and trim to size at top

5 Remove barrel

6 Use brass wire and glue to fasten carriage to deck leaving stub

7 Fix decks

8 Later - insert barrels with glue in hole and drop it over the wire pin

Voila !!!

I have tried both ways with guns under the decks - fitting the barrels straight away - and I found they snagged on thing s as they stick out or leaving the  barrels off and inserting through the ports later. as above

I had not intended to copper her. I think the hull is - by my standards - ok without.

But I did it with a Fly build and It is not quite as hard as it may seem.

The advice about finishing the hull as much as possible outside before going in is sound. But you havent got THAT much if you dont consider the fancy bits about the stem as yet.  Do leave the upper decks loose for now.

And the capping rails are best left for a while they are just too prone to an accidentally snag  as you work .

Bur once you have the gratings and capstan etc in position etc there is no reason not to fit  the fore and aft  gun carriages and the decks

I

.  WATCH that stern grating  and make sure your ladder from the Quarter deck doesnt intefere I cant remember if I actually built that grating but I was going to cheat and make it a bit short fore and aft

Edited by SpyGlass

Hi Simon and Spyglass

I've been away for a very long time. I locked into this log way back as Spyglass knows his stuff. A lot to be learned.

Spyglass - I'm very sad to hear that you couldn't finish this Pegasus. I wish you all the best - going to head off to see your Pickle shortly...

Simon the Pie Man- I'm glad to hear that Spyglass as passed it forward to you - that is a great outcome all round. Spy gets to see his ship completed and you get the very best bones for an elegant ship. 

Cheers,

Alistair

Slow abut steady progress. I've taken the advice and also checked out Blue Ensign's work and then completed a little more of the deck fittings and the hull. The instructions are wanting me to finish the pump handles and other decking detail but I thought it may be best to complete these after I have completed the stern and the bow. I really like the way the hull is coming together to will probably drop plans to do the coppering. A few questions:

• When is the best time to attach the brass etching to decorate the upper hull?
  • Bow or stern first?

IMG_2864.JPG

IMG_2865.JPG