Milling Machine

Just for the interest of those who've been following this topic, I've posted the modifications I made to my Proxxon MB 140 drill stand to make it into a milling machine as well. The link is http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4539-how-to-modify-proxxon-mb-140-drill-stand-to-act-as-mill/?p=130660

Tony

Edited by tkay11

Hey guys, Sherline has the 5400 on sale for $680 until Christmas.  It's reg $800.  I had pretty much decided on the MF70 due to cost, but now at this price, I may have changed my mind...

Oh decisions...

Wes Cook

Current Build: USF Constitution (Model Shipways)

USF Essex (Scratch build)

MS Syren (build log lost, need to rebuild)

Future Builds: MS Confederacy

Hi all,

As you all will know from this thread, I was trying to decide which machine and was having a tough time of it comparing price vs. features. The Sherline, even with its price break, was just outside my price range.

Also, I want to learn more about milling, both wood and metal, and learn some of the standard practices in milling. It seemed the Sherline is set up more like a standard mill than the Proxxon and would give me a better feel for standard milling as well as better capacity for milling metals, But as I mentioned, at the present time the Sherline is just outside my price range especially when you consider the accessories that will be required.

Then MicroMark put their micro milling machine on holiday sale for $399. So, I pulled the switch and ordered it along with some accessories. (Oh yeah, accessories will end up more than the mill itself.)

My rationale for the MM was that it is supposed to be similar to the Sherline in build and features. I will have to see about quality. The attachments should be, on the whole, compatible with Sherline. For instance, it uses an MT1 spindle which is same as Sherline, its hold down provision is 2 'T' slots, also similar to that on Sherline. Since accessories are a big part of the cost, it is my hope to not only have a wider range of suppliers ( i.e., EBay) but also be able to keep the investment in accessories should I need to upgrade. Also, there is a lot of information on the web about using Sherline and its attachments that might help in learning about the MM mill.

Well, that's my story for now.

I will update as I get the equipment and begin to use it. We have been hearing a lot about Proxxon and Sherline and this should give us another option to look at.

Thanks,

Richard

Edited by rtropp

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Richard,

Which MM mill?  The mini or the R8?   I can't imagine the R8 being that inexpensive.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark,

I got the mini. I was ok with the MT1 vs R8. If I ever felt the need to upgrade to a machine like the Sherline 5400 I would be able to use the accessories I already had. My workshop is my sunroom so room is at a premium anyway. I was looking for some tutorials that would help but I could not find anything relating directly to MM machines. If you know of any, please let me know. Right now I have a couple of mini milling books coming. They are based on Sherline so I am hoping that they will be helpful.

Once the MicroMark mill arrives and I have it set up I will post photos.

Richard

Richard

Richard,

Milling is basically milling... :)  So... visit: http://www.littlemachineshop.com/default.php and hit the "Learning Center" as well as the "Info Center".  Good, solid, basic info. 

The other good one for basic info is: http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_mill/Main/mini-mill.htm

While they don't cover the mini, they do cover methods. 

Edit:  I just noticed that The Little Machine Shop is now starting to cover the mini.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark,

I just visited the sites. Great information and well presented. They will be very helpful in acquiring a basic knowledge.

I recommend them to anyone who wants to build some understanding of Milling and Mini machines like the Sherline, MicroMark and similar.

Thanks for the links,

Richard

Richard

My MicroLux Micro Milling Machine, item number 84659, arrived today so I thought I would post some pictures of the unpacking.

The packing was very good as you will be able to see. Also assembly was pretty much a snap. Only two parts for the main unit and a few handles for the compound table.

The mill was shipped in one carton

post-4218-0-66390300-1386195187_thumb.jpg

inside were two smaller cartons with the two parts to the mill

post-4218-0-95306600-1386195188_thumb.jpg

The unit itself was well packed in rigid Styrofoam

post-4218-0-30070800-1386195190_thumb.jpg

You can see the base unit with the compound table

post-4218-0-84113600-1386195191_thumb.jpg

The second assembly was similarly packed in its carton

post-4218-0-25316000-1386195193_thumb.jpg

post-4218-0-80726300-1386195194_thumb.jpg

Putting the two together was a snap... just fit and bolt.

post-4218-0-81017400-1386195197_thumb.jpg

post-4218-0-36794300-1386195199_thumb.jpg

The only concern, and I am not sure if it is a problem is some red discoloration on the base. It does not look like rust, but I am no expert. I will call them in the morning.

post-4218-0-21447900-1386195196_thumb.jpg

Also, the handwheels seem a little tight, hard to turn, but that may be me being too gentle with it. Overall it is a pretty solid machine.

Now, until the tools arrive it is pretty much a paperweight.

Richard

Richard

Richard,

By the way..go buy some extra fuses.   Just a hint... :)  I think I blew 5 learning to use this thing.  Once I got some knowledge and good feel, I haven't blown one since.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Richard,

If the handles are hard to turn, just check that the axes aren't locked (each axis should be able to be locked in place individually). It's an easy mistake to make - don't ask me how I know! ;)

The handles should be a bit stiff but they do loosen up.  I suspect it's the grease they put them at the factory.  Once you have it located, bolt it down.  The CG is pretty high especially when you raise the upper assembly to install bits, etc.

The red isn't grease is it?  As far as I know, MM is the only one who offers this particular model.  I've seen the red grease on some other mills and on lathes.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark,

they actually included one extra fuse, guess they figured that would happen. I will pick up some more. thanks for the tip. Once I figure where I want everything I will bolt it down. One of the links you listed had a great layout with tips on where to leave room for movement.

Grant,

As Mark says it may just be that the tables need to be used to smooth out a little. There is not much in the instructions about how to lock, unlock, loosen etc. Just a little paragraph and the advice to ask a friend for help if you have not done this before. The only folks I know with any experience are right here. I will call MM Thur afternoon just to see how helpful they might be.

I think I expected a more detailed manual on the operation of the lathe, but perhaps that is just me.

Richard

Edited by rtropp

Richard

• 2 months later...

I see that you purchased it.Only question that I have for you is. Do you know how to use this machine as it is? Micro-mark has stated that they are no longer selling this item also the attachments they have for it most likely will be discontinued also. I you haven't already got one it is advisable to purchase a coolant system. I am a fitter and turner by trade and it took a lot of teaching to know how to use one. They are good fun to use. Good luck with it.

Barry

Barry,

They never did really have any dedicated tools for this mill.  Basically you buy the R8 (or equivalent from other manufacturer's/sellers) and adapt them.  A real PITA since the bigger machines use the M8 hardware and this one uses the M4 hardware.....

Coolant?  For what?  Unless you're milling metal, coolant isn't needed.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Barry,

I bought the smaller MM mill to create an compatibility path with the Sherline. It is MT1, as is the Sherline. Also the Sherline accessories pretty much fit on the beds of the MM Mini mill so if I do go the upgrade path I would not lose my investment in accessories. Many of my current accessories are Sherline and the mostly fit and work well.

As for can I use it as is, I am a beginner with power tools, so it is all a learning experience. So far I have made a couple of simple jigs and also milled the parts for clamps similar to those in Ed Tosti's book. I am just touching on milling metal.

Richard

Edited by rtropp

Richard

Could the red stuff be protective grease ? When shipping overseas, many manufacturers give their machines a good coating of this to prevent bright parts from rusting.

I would strip these Chinese machines down and give them a good cleanining before re-assembly and oiling. There are reports that often chips from the machining of the parts have not been carefully cleaned out. They could block spindles and scratch ways and beds. The spindles and ways would also need to be carefully adjusted to eliminate end- and sideplay once the machine has been set up. I think the 'Micro Mill/Lathe' Web-site cited above gives a lot of useful tips.

wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg