Royal Caroline by marsalv - FINISHED - Panart

Marsalv,

How are the knots on the ratlines tied and how are they secured at each end.  So far I have not obtained any books on rigging, and have always wondered how they can keep the cross lines from slipping down.  Yours look fantastic, but I can not tell from the pictures enlarged.  Do you have any recommendations on books for references on rigging?

Walter Biles

Edited by Walter Biles

Hi to all,

the most useful books for me are the following:

- Masting and Rigging of english ships of war - James Lees

- Rigging a sixth rate sloop of 1767-1780 - David Antscherl

Citation from the second one:

"In reality there was an eye spilce in each end of line that was then seized to the end shrouds, and the line clove hitched around each intermediate shroud. For model work, unless you are absolute purist, this can be simplified by omitting eye splices and seizing."

It is also my case, I used the clove hitch for all shrouds. The knot is finally fixed with small drop of diluted PVA glue.

Thank you.  I thought that the first three pictures were of various stages of the same thing, with the 'loops' added at the end.  I see now that you've explained the construction that the first two pictures are of the futtock staves that run through the ends of the catharpins.  Light bulb - lit.  :)

Edited by GuntherMT

You're partially right. The first two pictures are the futtock staves and third are the catharpins. But the futtock staves don´t run through the end of catharpins. Catharpins are attached to the futtock staves with thread witch is going through loop in the catharpins and about futtock staves.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking absolutely great Marsalv.

One question. Are your futtock staves made of wire, and then served? 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Beautiful sails! I can't really see what stitching pattern you are using, would you be able to post a close-up? Also, how did you manage to keep your sails so flat without puckering? The last time I tried to stitch sails, the fabric puckered up really badly!

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

robert22564: thank you for your kind words

KeithW: sails without puckering is no magic, bottom and top thread tension must be equal and not too big. If the tension is too big you can see puckering.

I completed all reef bands, buntline cloths, middle bands, leech linings and mast cloths. I hid the sewing machine again in a cabinet with the hope that at least two years I will not need it. :champagne-2:

Next phase - bolt ropes.

post-382-0-72396500-1424293551_thumb.jpg

post-382-0-45255700-1424293552_thumb.jpg

post-382-0-04903800-1424293553_thumb.jpg

post-382-0-05822500-1424293555_thumb.jpg

post-382-0-95354600-1424293555_thumb.jpg

post-382-0-01001500-1424293557_thumb.jpg

post-382-0-94030600-1424293557_thumb.jpg