HM BOMB VESSEL GRANADO by DaveB - CALDERCRAFT - SCALE 1:64

06/11/13

All bulkheads are now glued into position. I have also fitted the Stern Extensions.The Gunport Pattern Formers are assembled, and the Gunport Patterns are shaped. One has been shaped and clamped to the Bulkheads to help keep its shape, whilst the other has been left overnight on the Former.

Next is to bevel off the Bulkheads to suit and fit the Gunport Patterns.

post-6661-0-67371300-1383831611_thumb.jpg

post-6661-0-04870800-1383831661_thumb.jpg

post-6661-0-55830800-1383831705_thumb.jpg

post-6661-0-33848100-1383831743_thumb.jpg

post-6661-0-49707100-1383831792_thumb.jpg

post-6661-0-16823900-1383831562_thumb.jpg

Hi Ken,

The board is manufactured from Polyethylene. The same material as chopping boards are made from. I have my own company and we manufacture most of our parts out of this material. I have a 1.6 Mtr x 0.9 Mtr CNC vacuum bed router. I drew up the parts on the CAD system and programmed them for manufacture on that machine.

Port side Gunport Pattern now fitted. Not sure that I will get chance to do anything this weekend. Hospital with the wife on Saturday, followed by watching the rugby and Soccer Saturday. Out for lunch on Sunday. So dependant on the wine intake it may be wise to wait until Monday.  :cheers:

post-6661-0-47750000-1383898422_thumb.jpg

post-6661-0-23719300-1383898446_thumb.jpg

post-6661-0-80845300-1383898401_thumb.jpg

Looks like a good start to the build. I was considering the Grenado as a second build myself, so I keep an interested eye on your build.

Anymore of your build bases going? It looks fantastic and I'm sure I echo a few people who would be very interested in purchasing one from you.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

I don't think anybody here wants to distract from your excellent build, but your base board seems to be generating alot of intereset. I always give a lot of thought to the building board. A sloted fixure to hold the stem at 90 degrees and also triangular fillets to hold everthing nice and square all these fixtures could be adjustable and removeable with your system of slots and bolts. Back to your build I now its a little bit early in to the build, any ideas how your going to finish the castings(carvings) Most builders me included painted these. But it might make your build a bit different and proable more historical correct if your tried to paint them in a natural wood finsh.

I haven't really though as far ahead as that.

The build board would require a slight modification to the design if I built another one. It is difficult to slide the clamping strip tightly up to the keel in the middle of the length. The width of the bulkheads hinders. Not a problem before the bulkheads are in position, but a bit of a pain if you want to take it in and out after they are fitted.

Mark 2 is being designed in my head right now. I'm thinking of maybe some jacking studs through 6 mm tapped aluminium plates attached to the edge. 4 plates along the edge should suffice. Slacken off the countersunk screws, jack against the keel with the studs, and then lock up the countersinks. Might be something I do next week. If so I will post an updated photograph.

Actually I have just realised that once planked I can't get to the screws anyway. Jacking studs with the screws slightly loose looks they way to go.

Edited by DaveB

Sorted. Base board will be remade with the slots further away from the keel. Sliding clamp bar remade wider with screws now being away from the keel. Cleats against the side with the studs. These cleats and studs can be removed when all nipped up.

Getting back to your build two things. Have you decided how you are going to display your build. No poblem if you use a cradle stand but if you are going to use brass pedastals you will need to consider drilling into the keel for threaded studing etc. Also you might want to paint or staint the frames in way of the rear gun ports under the stern deck. Nothing looks worse that seeing white frames through gun ports. I know this from past experence. Hope this helps.

Nice start there Dave. I'm 18months into a Granado build and I'll echo the comments about the build board and to think drilling the keel soon if you want to mount it on pedestals.

The pedestals are pre drilled. Ill check later i think its 5 or 6 mm. I normally drill a hole up through the the keel to accept threaded studding say about 4mm . I trap a nut half way up the keel in to which the thread screws. Another hole is drilled into the base and a second nut (counter bored) locks everything in place. Hope this makes sence!

Build Board MK II. Front sliding clamp bar is wider with the screws away from the hull. I have also added a removable aluminium front bar. This has 3 bolts in it to jack the strip onto the keel to get a firm hold. The front strip is then clamped down, and the aluminium bar removed to give working access.

Last night I fitted the second gunport pattern. Hopefully I'll be starting the first planking tonight.

post-6661-0-55939500-1384251090_thumb.jpg

post-6661-0-08022300-1384251132_thumb.jpg

post-6661-0-68188800-1384251174_thumb.jpg

post-6661-0-36214800-1384251212_thumb.jpg

Edited by DaveB

You could do a roaring trade with the base board. The gun port pattern seem to have aligned well - did you have any trouble with them? Looking forward to following your build log.

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

Both sides went really well actually. Although I couldn't get them to sit flush with the tops of all the bulkhead extensions. I don't think that this should be an issue though, as they are removed down to deck level anyway.

I didn't manage to get any more done last night, and I am busy tonight and tomorrow night. The England game is on Friday. So it's looking like it could be the weekend before I get a chance to start the first planking. I also need to drill the holes for the mounting pedestals.