Holiday Harbor multi build By Popeye the sailor - 1:20 scale

where do I begin..........this project was to be well under way by now,  but the way thing panned out,  it has had a very rocky start.   I had thought of the concept during the build of the M&M fun ship,  and my idea was to build three ships.......one of them was to see if there was a market for such a thing.   during all this time,  I've come up with a few more ideas,   so I am going to do them with different ideas......three different concepts,  and see which one works best.   as the title implies,  they will have a holiday theme.....being careful not to offend anyone.   it is my hope that everyone enjoys the construction and creative aspects.

we turn the dial of the way-back machine back to December of 2012........I was planning on starting it then.   I had cut the keel parts for two of them,  and the ribs for the first one.  my plan was to begin at this point.  the hulls of these boats will be modeled,  based on the Billing's kit Boulogne Etaples.  the hull parts were traced from the parts panels........sadly,  the panels did not survive the tracing of the rest of the parts.   I had begun to assemble the first keel.

post-612-0-81209600-1383838959_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-12800800-1383838988_thumb.jpg

I had made up the stern parts for all three,  but did not use them all.   to save money on wood,  I purchased a 4' x 4' square 3/16 oak plywood panel,  later to be stripped out and used for the rest of the parts.   I ended up making another stern part for the third keel,  so it would be of the same thickness.

post-612-0-18482400-1383839197_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-72512400-1383839207_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-25555100-1383839217_thumb.jpg

the project stopped for a while.........until May of this year.   I assembled the keel for the second ship,  but not much else.

post-612-0-18876000-1383839350_thumb.jpg

it was not long after this picture was taken,  that the plywood was purchased.........and stripped out a bit later than that.   a couple of weeks ago,  the admiral asked me about them,  suggesting that I should get busy on them,  if I want them for the holidays.   of course,  I laughed........and told her that they would not be done this year,  perhaps next season would be more realistic.  the panels were traced out last week......and the parts were cut out this past Tuesday.   at this point,  two of the hull frames are assembled,  and the third is on the slip.   I should have an update on this build soon.

and.......what's life without a few chiggers in it.   things have been rather hectic around the house lately.......we are about to make a move to the third floor of our apartment house........purely a financial move.  so I may be a bit silent here and there,  until these hulls are planked,  and we can get past the crazy stuff.   I can clear my mind of all these ideas......but the most important thing,  to finally get this project of the ground and on the move :)    I had such a good time with the M&M build,  that I really wanted to get into another one.   it was so easy to come up with this concept......and the directions that these ships can take,  is endless.   for the moment,  the directions will not be brought into it......the construction of the hulls will come first..........but I will mention that the deck layouts will be different to suit their subjects.   this is big.........an armada of holiday vessels.......I hope you enjoy what is to come.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Good luck with the move, Popeye - and will pull up a seat for this build.  It promises to be an interesting journey!

Here, so the Admiral doesn't need to supply it, is the pop corn machine.  Will let Mark supply the beer!

post-18-0-72153000-1383842522.jpg

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

thanks Wayne........it's going to be cool for you all to see the frames completed.   I'm looking at the two I have now,  along with the Boulogne hull {hypothetical}..........it's going to be a massive build.   it's also going to be interesting how they will be shown in progress....a lot of the hull construction will be identical at this point.   they won't branch off until a bit later.   I will be very happy to get these hulls to the point where they can take on their own subject....their true natures.   in a way,  it's good they start now........a lot of the ornamentation will be on the shelves.....can't wait to visit the craft stores  :)   who knows what the scavenger hunts will produce  ;)

on the move front........it's sad to see how the paycheck has shrunk........I can hardly believe it myself.  I'm just glad to hear that the landlord is willing to let us do this.   I still will be in charge of the landscaping......I told him I would,  and I agreed to monitor the boiler for the first floor heat,  seeing that I understand the system.   I'm not even going to get into the reasons....anyone who lives in this country knows the story.......moot.   it just changes our plans to finally be able to afford our own place again.   it's still the dream.

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

so.......on to the assembly of the frames.   these were started in the living room,  kept out of the way.  the first one is the 1/4 plywood.

post-612-0-37514800-1383867753_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-68532000-1383867763_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-49327700-1383867773_thumb.jpg

pieces of strip stock was added between the ribs to help lock them in.

post-612-0-43661900-1383867847_thumb.jpg

the third keel was assembled using the 3/16 plywood.   the ribs of the other two will be of this thickness,  it shouldn't affect the second one.

post-612-0-11222300-1383868119_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-30181400-1383868127_thumb.jpg

I have other parts that I cut earlier.......I'll just weigh out what to use.  the first one needs the bow rabbits,  but I'll do them last {they need sanding}.   I started  on the second one.

post-612-0-63391300-1383868303_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I was a bad boy........I got caught sanding in the living room.  just fitting the ribs wasn't good enough....and I got sent to the table.  the second one is done by this time.......only the bow rabbits need to be put on.

post-612-0-72208300-1383868852_thumb.jpg

the third one is in the works now.........

post-612-0-49197000-1383868883_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-62098000-1383868894_thumb.jpg

with the first one,  the last rib at the stern was shaped per the tracings.  with the other two,  this last rib is altered......cut straight across.   not that it's a huge problem,  but when sanded and the deck platform is in place,  it will have something to be cemented to.  I'll just lay a beam across the first one.  the bow rabbits are sanded with the aide of the belt sander.  my cuts were not the greatest......the thin blade broke and I couldn't find the others,  so I put the thicker blade back in to cut them.  this just means that I have a lot of extra faring to do.   I also think this project will better acquaint me with the dremel....brand new and hardly used.

post-612-0-83593900-1383869204_thumb.jpg

they are all assembled now....bow rabbits are all in place.  the glue wasn't totally dry yet,  so they still have their nose rings .....Hee.....Hee.   Moe......Larry.......and Curly :)

post-612-0-06853100-1383869592_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-39758900-1383869673_thumb.jpg

here is a better look at the stern alteration

post-612-0-16941500-1383869721_thumb.jpg

the bow rabbits jut out a bit from the stems on two of them.......I'll just angle the cuts and blend them in with the stem.

post-612-0-68900000-1383869826_thumb.jpg

I need to get some 1/16 flat stock for the decking,  and I'm debating whether or not,  to say the heck with it and plank the bulwarks.   making the bulwark panels with flat stock,  might make it easier to do the scuppers,  but I don't want to run into the same problems I had with the original Boulogne.  I'll wait and see the best way to go.   I pretty much have the table cleared off.......I've been putting my stuff away for the move.  I have already brought a few ships up there,  and anything we aren't going to use, down to the cellar.......my legs are tired.  should be an interesting couple of weeks  ;)

post-612-0-26203600-1383869842_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Ambitious, I say, definitely ambitious. It will be fun watching the juggling ;)

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

hello John......sorry I didn't see you comment sooner.......we must have crossed in the post  ;)   yes,  there are others in the shipyard still,  I was hoping to have made better progress.  I  figured if I waited much longer.......it would put them much further back into the millennium.

now....I can safely say,  that all my plans are in the works.  I hope to have at least one finished by next season  ;)

thanks Michael.........for now,  everything done will be done equally.......so you see one,  you'll see them all.   I will show all three as this develops.    the real juggling act will happen when the deck plans are laid out,  and each one takes their own direction.   I like the style of ship that I will be using........there will be more than enough deck surface to fit them out,  for the subject that they will be.   I hope it will be as interesting for all,  as it will be for me ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

the move is on.......all building has ceased.   most of my modeling stuff is up there in a room,  off the beaten path.  we have this month to get up there........but man...........so much little stuff!  we are pack rats...........that's what we do  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

So what does this make, six or is it seven in the works? 

I always hated moving but did it several times.  I never found an easy way. 

Good luck,

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Popeye,

I'm glad that i have a Moderator in the house who tells me where I have to look  :D  :D  :D

I see that Wayne has bring the popcorn car so I just take a seat and watch this all growing !

Enjoy my friend and I'm enjoy to  :D  :D

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hello Popeye,

Good luck with the move. I sincerely hope things will get better for you.

Three builds at once, wow, I'm going to watch very closely.

Don't want to miss out on anything here.

But now not one secret, but three. Not telling us what the themes for this Holiday Harbour builds will be.

That is really not fair on us animaatjes-ja-en-nee-80411.gif

But you're forgiven my friend. Take care of the move first. Then take a little rest and entertain us with your builds. As you always do. We will wait patiently for your return.

If you have time, we will be on Skype tonight with Mobbsie and maybe Frank will join us as well.

You are more than welcome to join us.

Say hello to Phyllis for me.

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

thanks Bob.......if I were to say how many..........Dr. Per will come after me with the butterfly net!   do ya think I oughta sign up?  :)

glad to have you aboard Sjors.......it's still early......enjoy!  ;)

thank you Anja.....I'm on a rest from the second wave {lugging boxes and small stuff}.  I can't believe all the ship supplies I have.....I really need a workshop like others have.   for the moment......nothing is amiss........they don't even need to be told apart,  but I named them,  just for perspectives.   sorry for the secrecy......I want to be sure of the subject,  before I make them known.   scavenger hunts will be very important in the decisions.  I still need to find some able bodied friends to help me with the big stuff,  until then,  it's tote up as much as I can.........what we don't need at the moment will go in the cellar.  I also have to clean out the garage......last thing on my mind at the moment.  thanks for the good word......I'll be glad to start up again......I'm only truly happy when I'm building  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Denis,

Moving seems to be a mix of good things and things that make you scream.   :o  I hope all goes well and you can get back into the shipyard.  

This is going to be an interesting mystery project.   Since you're working and moving, for now, we'll do coffee and hold the adult beverages until you're all moved:   post-76-0-04603700-1383953780.gif    Sorry Wayne, got to think of our host first.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I think I need some of that adult beverage now............the move is canceled!   seems that the landlord would rather get an extra $75.00 a month for the third floor,  rather than save us around $300.00 {could be more}.   actually what it boiled down to.......is that the first floor is heated with oil,  hot water is heated with gas,  and electric.   third floor is heated totally with gas {water as well},  and electric.  as soon as the folks hear about the first floor......they ran like hell!  we saw some people take down the number........soon afterwards,  the landlord called us and changed his mind.  I let him talk.........I'll wait till I see him in person.   I told him that I had brought a bunch of stuff up there already.   I had brought up almost all of my models and stuff......my big build table was all that was left.  also a good portion on the admiral's M&M collection and shelving......and some small furniture.   I had to bring it all back down :(   he did change the listing to the first floor.....but he jacked up that one more than he did for the third floor.   he must still had the third floor listed,  because he was getting calls for it too  {I didn't pick up on that until later}.

anyway........everything is back in the apartment now.........a bit messed up,  but the third floor is as I found it.   my modeling stuff is all in disarray at the moment.........I have several ships on the main table.   once I get things back in order,  it'll be business as usual.  thanks for all the well wishes........I'm sure things happen for a reason.

thanks for the good word Mark.....I will do my best to make it as interesting as I can  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

After the day you're having... here:  post-76-0-77067600-1383970588.gif

That is a total bummer. Hmm... if you took the 3rd floor, even with $75 more, would it still save you money?  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello Popeye,

Sorry to hear your landlord isn't a man of his word.

You said you were sure everything happens for a reason.

But sometimes you wish you knew what that reason was.

Keep your spirit up my friend.

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

thanks John,  Mark,  and Anja...........

sure......even if he was to get $900.00  {he was getting $825.00 from the past tenants},  it would be a savings........the admiral said that last night.   he never offered us that though....he just changed his mind.   the big picture is that he should do that for all the floors,  but he doesn't want to spend the money.   I need to get going to work now......perhaps I can elaborate this evening ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Well Denis that is a disappointment. As you say everything happens for a reason so perhaps there was something about the third floor that would have been a problem.

Hope you get back to your models soon.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I have a picture of my table at the moment Michael....no time to post it right now.....perhaps tonight.....      I just want to get things sorted out now.....and get back to work.   you never know...........you might be right!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I'm sorry to hear all that and wish you and the Admiral good luck.  I understand your predicament, been there.  Wonder what's wrong with people - - -  hmm, maybe not.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

I'm sorry to hear about all the turmoil Popeye.  I hope that things can be worked out for the best.

Hang in there my friend.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I said I would post a picture of my table....and the turmoil at the moment.   things are getting back in order, I did end up getting a cold from the sweating,  and lugging stuff up and down the stairs......it was cold in that hallway........although I'm sure my resistances were down as well.  it's a process.........

well......my big table is a wreck.......it's the only thing that DIDN'T go up there........

post-612-0-64297800-1384364231_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-45453500-1384364245_thumb.jpg

you probably notice the bow spirit on the AmericA is a bit out of joint.......it wasn't from the move.  I had it sitting on a table,  broadside in front of a window,  and an ill wind blew it onto the floor.  it only sustained some minor damage {nothing disfiguring}......nothing I can't fix.   I had the desk table {which did go up stairs} in the living room.......I was going to fire up the old computer {windows 98},  so I could run my older games.  with the holidays coming up,  I gave up on the idea,  and joined it back up to the big table.

post-612-0-73041000-1384364810_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-89354800-1384364820_thumb.jpg

these three are now back where they belong.........I rearranged the living room,  per the admiral's request for the holidays.......she wants to put the tree in the bay windows....very easy to comply with her request.   these are the only three that have wipers...a great idea from Andy  ;)

post-612-0-41402900-1384365205_thumb.jpg

unrelated forum builds were not exempt.......these two made the trip up and down as well......the F-15 and my first foray in balsa flying aircraft in many years....the Spitfire.   it's not completely finished,  but for a first flight in these many years,  it's close enough.  with the weather changing the way it is,  it looks like it won't see it's first real flight until late spring

post-612-0-94707500-1384365591_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-55240200-1384365606_thumb.jpg

the Ambroid train kit I've been working on  {the B&M snowplow},  went up as well,  but it went up in the box I packed it up in,  when I put it aside.  so, it suffered no damage from the predicament.   once things are back in shape,  I can get back to what I want to do......back on track.  choo.......choo!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Popeye, sorry to hear all of this....hope all works out for you Bro.......this too shall pass...needless to say, I've found your infamous log.  Looks like fun, I'm pulling up a chair with Sjors and the gang to watch the progress.....thanks for the popcorn guys, I'll pass around some cold beer for the cause...

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Wow Popeye, sorry to hear about all the rigamarole they are putting you through, and a cold on top of it - eek!!

A good hot toddy should do it -

Cinnamon Stick

Cup of whiskey

Shot of hot water

Dash of lemon

Does the trick up nicely....

or maybe it is actually a cup of hot water and shot of whiskey... I always get those mixed up - but I sleep like a log =)

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Popeye sorry to hear about you getting stuffed around so much,the ill wind was the landlord opening his stupid mouth again,idiot.Hopefully all is ok now with no damage to your ships,boats.I did notice all the rigging has fallen off your Goth in the move.Chin up the rubbish will pass.

Current builds: HMS Victory - Caldercraft 1:72

Completed builds: HMB Endeavour - OcCre 1:54   HMS Supply - Caldercraft 1:64. Fishing boats, Bremen,  Palamos.