Holiday Harbor multi build By Popeye the sailor - 1:20 scale

yes it would Bob..........perhaps one day I can do some thing like that.    right now though.......I'll be happy if I can just get the admiral,  to stop giving me .....the

look   <_<

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Denis,

The secret to not getting "the look" is to no bring it up.  Just do it and mumble something about "finding it in a box of junk".

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

AWWWWWWWW!   you guessed my secret  ;)    as long as I don't trash the idea........she's happy  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

so the doors were removed to be stained,  and to have some hardware put on.   I'll have to alter the color of the door knockers too  ;)    I showed how I had taken some netting and painted it copper.......I think I had better get a move on with the window frames.   for the front,  I made the outer frames.

post-612-0-33986600-1449122466_thumb.jpg

there is to be a divider down the center......not sure how I want to go with the smaller dividers.

post-612-0-95626500-1449122584_thumb.jpg

I tried the window maker on the mesh........came out looking like tapioca pudding.   did not put a smile on my face.......you can be sure of that.   I also didn't use any backing,  so the fills would break,  revealing the holes again...........I'd have to brush over them again.   finally I said the heck with it...........got a piece of plastic wrap,  laid the mesh over it {flat on the table},  and whipped up a small batch of diluted white glue.   I made it a thicker batch than I normally do.   it was brushed on,  going back over at times,  when the holes would show back up........

post-612-0-23762200-1449123016_thumb.jpg

here's how easy it is to see the ones that popped

post-612-0-09214100-1449123068_thumb.jpg

I did this before I went to my part time job.............when I got home,  it definitely had time to dry.

post-612-0-98281700-1449123161_thumb.jpg

tomorrow,  I'll try to go further  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

An interesting idea for the windows, Popeye.

John

G'day Denis

That's a novel approach,  can't wait to see if it works!  Goodluckmymattie. 

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

me too..........I'm hoping it works out.    so far,  the only thing I can say about it,  is that it dried with a rather leathery feel to it.   there is no sheen that I can see.   I will try another field of mesh.......but this time I will stretch everything flat.......there are a few ripples.   I'll be back.......gotta take Gibbs out  ;)

thanks for the good word and the likes! 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

it was kinda interesting making it....but you need a backing to apply the glue.   either that,  or you'll be play'in with both sides of the mesh.   the reason I mention the stretching out thing is because,  by not doing this,  there will be ripples in the mesh.

it's not that the glue will be thicker in these places,  but it will show where the mesh is making contact with the backing,  and where it is not.   here is what it looks like without the backing.   as I thought,  white glue will not adhere to the plastic wrap.

post-612-0-61885500-1449241331_thumb.jpg

I'll try it out to see how it looks,  but I will try and do a second run to see if it comes out better.   I did get to finish out the front window frames.   we went to Hobby Lobby yesterday to get more of the size wood I'm using for the molding,  so I can go the rest of the way around the house without fear of running out.   I was also looking at the dollhouse shingles....you can purchase them in a big package {bag}.   they are too large though,  so I can't use them.   it's OK......I have plenty of scrap wood that I can use up  ;)

post-612-0-63807100-1449242468_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-95688600-1449242507_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

G'day Denis

You're going great guns there mate. What size architrave are you doing? Looks bloody small and fiddlyhavagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Them's some mighty nice doors you have there. Any chance you can come by my house, I'm in need of an upgrade. :)

-Bug

Sweet work, Denis.  I'm hoping the windows come out.  Would screening (like for a window) work better? 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Denis,

If your trying to do what I think your trying to do then I wish you every luck mate.

As a suggestion could you make up some windows and sandwich the mesh in between, or would that make the windows foggy ?, I don't know because I've never used this stuff before.

Another way could possibly be to make up your window solution and when it's nearly set lay the mesh over the top.

I do hope you achieve the look your after mate, just have to keep trying as I'm sure there's a solution to this problem.

Good Luck

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

thank you all for the good word and the likes.......at the moment,  I'm trying to get all the molding and windows done,  so I can get some paint on the hull.  I've got the window sheet in between two flat objects.    hope to have an update soon  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Interesting idea for the window glass Denis. you could also tint it a little with some watercolour.

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

you've read my mind Michael........except I'm going to try and use colored markers ;)    I found out that it is flexible......it will bend to the shape of anything I put it on  {not a good thing at the moment}.   I put it under a flat surface with some weight on it.......perhaps it will flatten out the ripples  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

so I went a bit further with the warming house yesterday.  I was able to finish off a the rest of the molding that outlines the outer walls.  

post-612-0-37632600-1449672803_thumb.jpg

the starboard side

post-612-0-97718300-1449672864_thumb.jpg

the front fascia

post-612-0-60577300-1449672946_thumb.jpg

the port side

post-612-0-79732200-1449673023_thumb.jpg

and the stern {transom} fascia

I also began to assemble the windows for the starboard side

post-612-0-26088000-1449673229_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-94004100-1449673268_thumb.jpg

still more experimenting going on with the window material itself.......still not convinced that the window maker won't work.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Maybe ... cellophane of a cigarette pack ??? Transparent, but not at all, shiny but not too much, it may be tightened, it may be tinted with transparent acrylic, you can sand it to get blur effect, you can play worming it,  you can bend it to get "crystal" effect, ... 

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

thanks Nenad........actually,  I'm sort of going for a clouded look.......but I want the sheen as well.   I've plenty of clear cello,  in different thicknesses,  but I'm thinking that brush strokes might be a problem.   I do plan on tinting........first to decide on what finish the frame should be........the molding around the windows is to be white.   now that it's done,  I need to finish the priming,  and then maybe....I can paint the hull.

thanks for the ideas.........I'll give 'em a looky  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Very nice looking "house" Popeye and the best of luck with your windows.  I have absolutely no clue in what your are doing with that.  

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Very nice looking "house" Popeye and the best of luck with your windows.  I have absolutely no clue in what your are doing with that.  

Cheers,

Hi Denis

I'm sorta like what Piet said...I'm a bit clue.ess as well, but I have absolutely no doubt that you're going to make a beautiful job of it.

Love your work!

Cheers

Patrick

Piet and Patrick:   the subject of this particular boat can be pretty large.   it's a caroler's boat,  one that you might see in a parade....regatta......whatever the procession.  without saying much more about what will be on the deck {'cuz I don't even know},  the structure at the aft is called a 'warming house'.  carolers can go in to get warm and give their vocal cords a rest.  of course there's refreshments.......hot cocoa......or whatever the barkeep might have under the counter {Hee....Hee....Hee} 

I wanted to give it plenty of windows.......actually,  I later thought of making it like one giant cabana,  but the house look stayed......I keep flopping back and fourth about the roof.   Gotta keep it 'Santa safe".......don'tcha know.  if you stop and thing about it.........for Santa,  it would be like landing on an aircraft carrier...:D  :D   {he better leave Chet home for this one}

thanks to you other fine folk for looking in.....your likes and comments.   the Jingle Belle is not in the shop at the moment...it's down in the cellar drying...........getting the long overdue prime job.   before it went down there,  I made a bit more progress on the windows.    the starboard windows were made complete,  by making the center window frame.

post-612-0-31018900-1449761338_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-80419200-1449761362_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-49248600-1449761374_thumb.jpg

the next window I made was the stern window.   it's a big one :)

post-612-0-75518900-1449761448_thumb.jpg

the partitions were added to the starboard windows

post-612-0-55670100-1449761497_thumb.jpg

....and then to the stern window.

post-612-0-16242800-1449761525_thumb.jpg

this morning........{I had to work last night}......the Jingle Belle was taken to the cellar....and the primer job began

post-612-0-10963000-1449761599_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-42035900-1449761615_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Denis

Thanks.  Makes sense to me now!  Interesting;y, we wouldn't have anything to compare it to in Australia (Aussies - pls correct me if I'm wrong) because our Christmas season is usually seriously hot (usually 35C and upward) and so a 'warming hous' is probably the furthest thing from our minds.  We'd be more inclined to want a fridge!

Nevertheless, I'm always enjoying following your progress.

Cheers

Patrick

that's OK Patrick.........we'll put A/C in the windows instead!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I just came up from the Cellar.........the primer work is done  :)

post-612-0-05855800-1449766409_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-53325000-1449766422_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-25920800-1449766437_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-49216600-1449766451_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-62582400-1449766466_thumb.jpg

I was surprised with the coverage......lots of nooks and crannies here.  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking good my friend.

Another option for your window coverings may be lighting diffusion material or gels for photography / videography. It's relatively inexpensive and can be found at camera stores or websites. It also comes in a very wide variety of thickness and "cloudiness" so may have several options. Here are just a couple examples of what I have in my equipment room.

-Bug

post-1158-0-02758600-1449847256_thumb.jpg

Edited by Moonbug

thanks for the likes........it has a good base for what will come next ;)

Thanks John.........it'll look better once I can get some real color on her..........still conferring with my color coordinator.

I'll have to check it out Bug.........looks interesting as well.   the reason why I'm going through with this madness,  is the copper netting will resemble the stained glass look that I want.    I will do a mock up and show you what I thinking....I have another sheet of netting painted and ready to do the process again.   this time I will try and stretch it to get the wrinkles out.   thanks for the idea  ;)    there is a WalGreens nearby.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

G'day Denis

Been off air for a few days, my dad is in hospital again so tjis is my first time I can havalook. Looking good my friend.

Havagooday

Greg