Holiday Harbor multi build By Popeye the sailor - 1:20 scale

Makes perfect sense - - - now, Popeye.  

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thanks Piet.......I think it would be a good remedy for those who wish to build their favorite ship.......even if there is no kit available ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

there's a bit of an update to be had here........this was done the other day  :)

I has used 2 mm strip stock for the deck beams........in making the tab slots on the ends,  it meant that the beams would need to be shimmed,  in order to bring them level with the rest of the deck framing.  I have some mahogany thin strip that will do the task quite nicely.  it's a bit wide....so I cut some down.

post-612-0-91331800-1413551746.jpg

I have one side trimmed to fit and cemented in place at the moment.  I got carried away with other things.

post-612-0-25379800-1413551859.jpg

....and as for the Jingle Belle.   I'm happy to report that the hull finally made it out to the garage.   it still needs some touch ups........but I gave it a coat of primer,  to begin the sealing process.   before I do more to the hull,  I want to do the scuppers and rub rails.  then I can sand and re-prime.

post-612-0-83416500-1413552112.jpg

post-612-0-68243200-1413552141.jpg

post-612-0-18286300-1413552156.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Looks like you are going to have a fair bit of work before Christmas, brings a smile to my face watching these builds.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Looks like you're almost back at full throttle.  Good to see.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Popeye ,

that Hobby Holiday Harbor Project is well under steam, Looks great

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

thanks Michael,  Augie,  Sjors,  and Nils :)    I'm getting there.......got a long way to go though.

thanks to those who hit the like button......glads to have you all following along!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Omega.......haven't done anything with R/C as of yet....these are going to be static builds.  more for the admiral than anything else.

thanks Lawrence........it's going to be a fun subject.......I'm seeing so much stuff out there that can be used {I've already started my scavenger hunt}  ;)    the M&M boat was a lot of fun to do........this is the first thing that came to mind,  that would be equally as challenging.    still too soon though.......they are still pretty bare boned.   it will get even more interesting when the hulls are painted and finished out  ;)    glad to have you follow along  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

well........I would have had some progress to report here........the afternoon was kinda broken up...a little here....a little there.   I cut the scuppers for both boats,  but I made them large.  to be honest.......I don't like them.  so I will size them down a bit and perhaps do the rub rails for the Jingle Belle.....then I can finish up on the hull and get her ready for paint.  it's just too bad the Tree boat wasn't at the same step.   perhaps I should lean more to the right ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Dennis, really dig how you can envision and create - it is absolutely inspiring.  Wish I could do that! I need plans and step by steps! :P

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Adam,

I'm the same way.. Popeye is an inspiration.   I don't know how he juggles all those builds and keeps each one fresh and different. Me... I'd end up one big mess on the workbench.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

awww.....shucks guys.......... :blush:    I don't know what to say.........except a big thank you,  and to those who hit the like button as well.  I hope that what I show will give ideas for those who aren't {like me} familiar with CAD.......and with the use of parts panels from other kits,  can create hulls for compatible ship builds.

to tell you how I do it.......I'd need Rod Sterling's help :)

I thought I posted this picture of the tree boat.......the other half of the deck platform is in place.  this was done over a week ago.

post-612-0-35205200-1414367761.jpg

I also managed a couple of pictures of the scuppers.   since the waterline will be low,  I really don't need them this big......I'm going to size them down.  here is the Christmas tree boat

post-612-0-07395600-1414367928.jpg

....and the Jingle Belle

post-612-0-35549500-1414367957.jpg

all three of the hulls are on the tables at the moment......there was an amazing amount of clutter...I almost haven't the room to work.   it's too bad Mark.........I had cleaned the main table on Friday....I wish I could have gotten you a complete picture of the conditions here at the Wharf.   it's a wonder the admiral hasn't gone through the roof yet......I had wood chips all over the floor around my tables.

post-612-0-92382900-1414368467.jpg

we are in a good world.........a place where builders from all levels,  come together to enjoy,  inspire, and learn.  yes........though it seem like I've gone off the deep end with the builds......I accept it.  in my wildest dreams did I think,  that a medium that I once thought was so daunting,  would turn out to be so enjoyable and creative.   all it took,  was a fellow named Harold,  to show me just how fun this medium could be :)   Kudos to you all for showing me more ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

These guys going to be ready for the holidays????? or do we have to wait another year????

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Very nice work there Denis.... pretty cool video too!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

He want to finish them before he gets retired ............

So I think around 2020  :D  :D  :D

Come on Popeye, a little more progress please ?????

We want results !!!!!!!!

Sjors

sadly John.......they won't be ready till next year.   the admiral was sad when I told her.....but she's seen them on the table,  and that has perked her up a little.   We've been out on a couple scavenger hunts.......gotten a few ideas.   the way I'm looking at it......the more I do now.....the less I'll have to do later.   the hulls come first  :)

glad you liked the video Frank.........the Christmas tree boat they are using now is a Coast Guard ship......kind of like a freighter.  if you look it up,  you will find it.  any hull configuration could be used,  but I chose this one for it's wide deck.  they are not much right now,  but like the M&M boat,  once the hull is done,  the rest will be fun to watch {at least,  I hope so}  :)

I won't let it go that long Sjors........although it's a bit over five years away  :)   I wanted to show more progress.......perhaps this week ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hey Dennis, looking good buddy. Sadly we'll keep waiting..I'm in the same boat so to speak. Looks like someone is close to adding another star on the shoulder board...Aye, Aye Sir! Will you be the first one?

John

Current Current Builds:

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

you won't have too long a wait John.......I do have a bit of progress to report......hold on bud........

OK......where was I?  oh,  yes........everythings in the camera at the moment....gotta get'em out.   as for the star thing,  to be honest,  I really don't pay attention........I look at quite a few builds here :)   it's not about rank.......it's about all the wonderful eye candy I see........yours is no exception ;)  I'll look forward in seeing your progress as well  :)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Sounds good Dennis, as for me....my Admiral actually told me I needed to start back to work on the Morgan....drop my teeth man!

John

Current Current Builds:

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

Hello Denis, Another scavenger hunt for some red and green wee led lights, to erect in the shape of a xmas tree over your modeling area to appease the wharf manager, then you can say "OH you meant the models" sorry honey I misunderstood.ha ha,Edwin.

that's where I am John........if I'm not at the table for any length of time,  the admiral starts asking questions.  I'm looking forward to the day, when she would have to pry me away from it again :)     it used to bug the heck out of her.......but I guess I'm seeing the other end of the spectrum.  ;)

I don't know about that Ed........I think doing something like that would put me too far over the edge.    best to leave my thoughts.......'scaled down'  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

this unfinished hull is really starting to bug me.........the Jingle Belle is starting to look like a boat,  while the tree boat looks like a half eaten carp!   not only that......if one of the ribs isn't resting on one of the stand ends,  it even flops around like one...:D   there are aspects I'm still looking into,  but it's getting to the point where I'll move on and deal with it later.

to complete the deck area,  the floor platform for the helm area was completed.   a locator tab was cemented on rib #2,  so the platform would sit level.  it's now roughed in....;)

post-612-0-90811400-1414761511.jpg

then......I looked at the scuppers again......and gave a big sigh.   why did I make them ALL too big?

post-612-0-35667800-1414761595.jpg

at this point,  it's more of a problem with the Jingle Belle,  than the tree boat,  since the J.B. already has had a filler treatment.  we can fix this though.   doing the same that I did with the Andrea Gail,  small pieces of wood were fitted in,  making them smaller.   first was the J.B.

post-612-0-61837500-1414762030.jpg

post-612-0-52055600-1414762052.jpg

....and then the tree boat

post-612-0-62630200-1414762081.jpg

post-612-0-45856400-1414762097.jpg

they were then dabbed over with white glue and sanded......the J.B. was especially interesting,  because it introduced primer dust into the repair,  creating a milky hue in places.   with this hull,  I'm also using lighter grit paper,  so I'm now beginning to get a smooth hull.    I was pleased with my earlier attempt with the rub rails.  the Andrea Gail looks much better for it........I used 1/8 square stock for them,  since they appear to be a dominant feature of the hull.   here,  I plan to used the 1/8 as well.

post-612-0-82349500-1414763260.jpg

I stopped further back from the bow stem,  and even more so on the lower rail.

post-612-0-01320800-1414763441.jpg

I left a 1/2 inch gap between the two

post-612-0-48597400-1414763505.jpg

...and left the same spacing along the side

post-612-0-06756600-1414763642.jpg

I put this to cap off the rails at the bow.   what I do for the bulwark cap rails will decide how these will terminate.......whether they will butt to the rail,  or shorted them and round them off.

post-612-0-03124000-1414763896.jpg

I would have had a picture of the port side,  but I found that I didn't have the correct angle,  and I needed to correct it.   I'm going to add additional vertical rails,  but I want to see what I do with the bulwark rails before I install them.   I plan to do something a little different with the tree boat,   to give them their own character.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice update Dennis, they're shaping up and starting to look like ships. Keep it up. We must be getting on our Admiral's nerves if they're trying to get us back in the shipyard....lol

John

Current Current Builds:

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

Looking good.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

hmmmm, I see lot's of like's going around....but no post...knowing you..me thinks you have a plan...some special occaision ... a sinister plan....yet no posts.....hmmmm I know it's got to be killing you...patience my friend...patience.

John

Current Current Builds:

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

Yes John..........I know!  :)   I was hoping to have something a bit more productive.......but I was waiting for thinner,  and moved most of my airbrush equipment down to the cellar {the landlord doesn't know it yet} :)

a belated thank you to all who posted and commented...I really appreciate the interest.   I'm glad that the recent change didn't make anyone think that this build was doomed,  or might not go full circle.  I'm sure everyone knows..........."an idea is a thought process,  that when put into motion,  usually moves rather swiftly."   this isn't one of them ;)

it was later in the afternoon,  the other day,  that I got my thinner :)   I'm still not in the position yet to do any painting..........so I said "damn the torpedoes" and went ahead with what I have in mind......it will just call for some creative masking later.  I had laid a across the opening to the helm floor on the J.B.   it was ripped up,  and a full floor platform is going to be installed.

post-612-0-79490000-1415286250.jpg

the side wall panels have also been cut out,  ready to be shaped.  on the tree boat,  I had mentioned molding along the step - down.........that has been installed.

post-612-0-82274500-1415286344.jpg

it's about time to close up the abomination at the bow bulkhead......time to close up that gap,  and rid the graffiti that was comically put on there.

post-612-0-92120300-1415286524.jpg

an idea for the helm walls is coming to mind.  this is all prep for what is to come.

post-612-0-09576300-1415287012.jpg

I spent the time on the tree boat,  because the Jingle Belle is a little busy at the moment,  getting a second coat of primer on the hull and rails.   I later found that I didn't do as good a job in getting coverage on the top edges of the rails.   no matter,  I can touch them up later,  when I get the deck area to that certain point that I'm looking for.

post-612-0-29257300-1415287313.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: