Holiday Harbor multi build By Popeye the sailor - 1:20 scale

oh......I almost forgot !

I was really impressed with what I saw of the doll house lighting kit Lawrence........I think I will go in that direction.  it runs on normal household current.....a transformer plug in.   the connectors are what really swayed me.......as I mentioned,  if I fit one in the lower part of the hull,  when I want to light it,  I can simply plug it in.   they are really small lights.......I believe they are LED......my initial inspection of the kit was looking up at it and day dreaming of what I could do with it :).   I knew if I took it down from the wall peg,  it would end up at the check out............and I didn't have the cash for it.   I have my budget director working on it.......I should get the green light very soon.  then I can tell you much more.   I can tell you though,  that they do not appear to be heat generating lighting.....so that is a big plus.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Your FLEET! is looking real good Denis.... how do you keep track of everything?.... sometimes I can't remember what I'm supposed to do next, and it's only one build :huh: .... you're very good at what you do  :im Not Worthy: 

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

I like the badge idea.......two side windows with two fascia windows in the center.  framing out the walls is not a huge deal either.  I have a lot of the cut offs from the flat stock,  I keep them in a plastic bag.....I'll be able to use some of it up.   I also plan on doing shingles for the outside,  and that will use up even more.

I made a discovery as well.......the starboard wall is a bit off.  I measured every which way,  when I saw it,  and it boils down to the conclusion that the stern has twisted.  the hull has been around for so long without sealer.........I'm sure the temp and humidity had caused this.   anyway I look at it,  it would be a major job to fix it.  if I fix it by adjusting the wall,  it will show there...the wall mass will be uneven.  if I remove the structure and adjust the bulwark,  it will not only throw the transom wall off,  but the hull rails as well.  the only resolve I can see,  will be in how I do the roof.   I have no choice......it will have to be a pitched roof.

well.....I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.......I'm not going back.  the admiral told me not to.  so I started by tracing out the profile for the badges.

post-612-0-40102800-1415812815.jpg

post-612-0-06175600-1415812830.jpg

then I made the other three

post-612-0-50457000-1415812862.jpg

the studs were installed...also to center the doorway for the front wall....I'm thinking double doors.

post-612-0-80530100-1415813095.jpg

to make the outer wall flush to the bulwark,  I'm shimming the port side wall.  in looking at the front wall,  it can be seen that the wall problem doesn't show here at all.   it's because the problem lies with the starboard transom post

post-612-0-39841300-1415813797.jpg

since the bulwark height is enough,  the fire stop can serve as the bottom window frame.  the top will need to be framed in though

post-612-0-21147000-1415813967.jpg

the windshield panel was made and cemented in place

post-612-0-36067700-1415814014.jpg

more of the outer covering was added to the starboard side.......it also show the upper framing

post-612-0-62384800-1415814175.jpg

now to finish the outer covering and cement the profiles in place.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

thanks Frank :)   it's a good thing that each build has their own personality........I'd be lost too!   thanks for the good word!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Sorry about the glitch, Popeye.  But knowing you, it'll work out fine.  Besides, you do NOT want to disobey your Admiral !!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

so,  with the upper and lower badge profiles in place,  it now looks like this

post-612-0-59778800-1415891735.jpg

...and a view from the inside.   it will be how the windows come out,  is whether or not the interior will need to be fleshed out.

post-612-0-35539500-1415891839.jpg

as I mentioned earlier,  the port side needed to be shimmed,  due to the bulwark splay.   the starboard side wasn't that bad.  I had stripped out some planking earlier for the life boats {that I need to get back to} for the trawler Syborn build.  it came in handy here.

post-612-0-49423300-1415892099.jpg

then the covering and framing the top of the window.

post-612-0-20798600-1415892154.jpg

with the profiles cemented in place,  it now looks like this

post-612-0-00834700-1415892232.jpg

now comes the big question.........what is to come with the transom wall?   the window is framed in.

post-612-0-55427400-1415892294.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I have to agree as well...you're definitely having a lot of fun and powering ahead. Looks great so far and I can't wait to see how things progress from here. Out of curiosity, do you think you could post some pictures of your M&M Funship? I know that you've referred to it many times, but I can't find a link to it on this forum.

If so, that'd be great!

Thanks and all the best.

this one is the Jingle Belle Sjors...the caroler's boat.  sadly the other one is waiting to be wired in.....then I have to finish planking the hull.

when I'm ready,  I'll work on the Christmas tree boat and get her to the same point as the Jingle belle.  I wish I could do it to them both.

hello John.........all this sawdust......I was wondering where you were ;)   I thought I would power through some of this build for a while.  you probably noticed that this has turned into a dual build.   the hull dubbed Larry is no more.........it has left the fleet to become the Andrea Gail.  I think you'll find the modifications interesting ;)   glad your back........I missed you :)

thanks Omega.......to look for the M&M Fun Ship shouldn't be too hard.......I did a build log on her.   it can also be seen in the completed scratch gallery.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/gallery/album/104-mm-fun-ship-by-popeye-the-sailor/

the build log seems to have disappeared......might have happened during the last glitch...........>sad<    here is the build log that I did on Word Press

The M&M fun ship – {part 1} « M&M 'fun' ship – a 1:33 scale semi scracth build

thanks for the kind comments and to those who hit the like button.....more coming soon!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye--- your build log is gone????  Wasn't it on MSW 2.0???

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Denis, It's a while since I looked in and jeez your making some good progress.

Is your building pre thought or is it just tongue in cheek build as you go, whatever you use it's working mate.

Not to myself " must look in more often".

Be Good my Friend

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

thanks Omega  {I saw your post}  :)    if I only had another build like that one  >daydream.......<    the entire concept was thought up from the very beginning.......there was no deviation in the build process.........and the only addition to the build was the brilliant nudge to include windshield wipers {thanks to Andy} :)    the Holiday harbor is the second set of my original experiment....using parts panels from existing kits,  to create hulls...just the hulls.   they can be outfitted to model other ships and boats.  the trawler Syborn is the other half of the first experiment.

post-612-0-14487400-1415968023_thumb.jpg

I have saved some of the panels...these are from the Billing's kit Mary Ann.   this would be good for folks who aren't too good at CAD,  or are on a tight budget.

I believe so Augie.   the build was started in May of 2012,  and finished in October of 2012.   I forget when it was.....but we had that second glitch.   at least it still can be seen in the gallery :)   I'd put it back in.

thanks Mobbsie!    yup.......that's what happens when you decide to take the quantum leap!   a lot of measuring,  cutting,  and agonizing ;)    but your going to have fun...and that's what counts!  your going to enjoy the control you'll have,  instead of looking at parts,  and weighing out whether they are good enough or not to use.   I have a concept for the Harbor boats,  but that's all......the only one that I'm following instructions for is the Andrea Gail.   all I'm using it for,  is for parts and what they look like,  so I can make them from scratch.  there is a difference though...freedom.  it depends greatly on the subject your modeling.  frequency aside.........always glad when you pop in for a looky  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Lawrence.......the layout for the Jingle Belle is really starting to take shape!   now,  if I can only get some paint on her ;)   I'll be glad to get what I need for the tree boat,  so I can get her up to speed.   thanks for the good word!

now I had better get that helm in shape,  before I break off those window frames!   almost did it there,  a couple of times!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Darn it Popeye......that was the old MSW.  New one started in Feb. 2013.  I didn't think she went back that far.  Glad she's in the gallery.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I forget when..........I'm just a modeler!  :D   I'm lucky to remember my own birthday.   makes me glad I did the one on Word Press...sad thing is....it don't have all of the comments everyone posted on it.........it was such a fun build :)

As for progress........I don't have much,  but it's a tiny step forward.   the framed wall at the transom has now been sheeted.......it will have flush mounted windows.

post-612-0-37591200-1416009699.jpg

....and a look at the interior

post-612-0-93983200-1416009732.jpg

after almost breaking the frames for the helm for the second time....I thought it best to add some frame work to it as well.   I want to try something a little different with this one...I still have some figuring out to do.

post-612-0-40848600-1416009943.jpg

I gave the roof line at the windshield a wide border,  and then lined the sides of the roof line with some 1/16 square strip.  going down the sides,  I used 1/16 X 1/8 strip stock.  I also laid some 1/16 pieces on both sides of the helm,  at the main deck ......takes care of those tiny gaps...hee....hee  ;)

post-612-0-75712300-1416010297.jpg

well,  that's about as far as I got..........ran back and fourth helping the admiral today.   we made what we yanks call  'woopie pies'  {chocolate cake with creme filling}.   then bran muffins........yea.......yea....I know........'cuz I'm such a regular guy!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I was lucky enough to catch the M&M build before the crash > daydream.....< .... it was a fun log and although could be recreated, it would never be the same without the banter. It was finished by the time I joined, but that made it no less spectacular. That's such a shame. So much was lost that tragedy, it was like the loss of a ship in so many ways. :(

you say "the Holiday harbor is the second set of my original experiment" but what of the lobster twins? I'd count those as original and one you cut the frames for IIRC. Time to cut back on the woopee pies as the sugar is effecting your memory ..... and are those the spinach cream variety by any chance? :P

I really agree with you on the custom build and the freedom is brings. Everyone should try one.

Popeye the Ambassador of Outstanding Multiple Customization Building (AOMCB)...I figured a title like that needed an acronym. :)

freedom..... what a wonderfully abstract concept she is  :dancetl6: 

thanks Kees......doubt I'd be able to compare to the work that you do ;)   your new build looks awesome!

there is a difference though Keith.......the lobsie twins were the product of a goof.   the day that Capt. Bob made the startling comment,  I knew I had pushed it too far.    since I created the first two hulls,  it was easy to switch gears on it and make it a dual build.   I did find out one thing though........sheeting the hull in balsa is not for me.   I think I swallowed some water on that one  :D  :D

but....if you say so..........it spawned another hull  {I want to make a couple of others some time down the road}  I won't debate it!

the Holiday Harbor boats are a deliberate experiment  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I look forward in seeing more of your fine build John,  when you get settled back in.  I think your build is a bit more complex,  as far as reference goes  :)    it like what I always hear though.....any progress is good progress ;)   thanks John!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Good idea on the old templates to make new bulkheads...

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

it's great for those who are in between builds,  don't have a stash of kits..........and saving up for a kit they've been eying.  in the meantime, they can trace out a set of bulkheads....and away they go!   like your Morgan John........it's a whaler,  and there are many other ships that have the same hull construction and shape.  with a little modification,  there very well could be more.   I'd love to get a hold of some from a large scale sailing ship,  but with what I have in cue at the moment........I'll leave it as a pipe dream  ;)

to think inside the box......one must remember there is an outside as well ;)   keep on thinking free!

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I did do a bit more to help strengthen the helm.  I had mentioned to the admiral that I was favoring the lighting kit.......we kicked that ball around a little bit.  :)    then we started to muse over this one.....the possibility of lighting it came into the picture  {my god.......she thinks I can do anything!}  Boy!  don't I have her snowed!  :D  :D

I ran some framing along the bottom of the windows and started to install the dash.  I might add in a cabin door...engine  access and such.

post-612-0-53702900-1416275504.jpg

post-612-0-73281700-1416275518.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Denis it is fun following along with your builds.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

what can I say Ed......she's my sounding board.   I've run many ideas by her........a few times,  even  pulled up some pictures for me.  she won't do sails though :D    it's nice to hear that other folks have admirals that are behind them in what they do.......I know Michael's does.

thanks Michael......it would be even more fun if both boats were up to snuff with one another.  the real fun part is yet to come....outfitting them  ;)

thanks John for the vote of confidence.   now all I need is for Phyl to see your post........I can just hear it now......."see......even he knows you can do it!"   I'm thinking........... ;)

I guess you can say that.....get a bunch of revved up carolers on board........someone sneaks some beverage on board {name your poison}.........they'll be kum-buya 'round that tree in no time!    the results of the scavenger hunts have to be kept sealed for the time being.  Christmas is a time of surprises......t'wouldn't be fun if you knew what you were getting  ;)  :)   thanks for the good word Lawrence.

thanks to all who hit the like button :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Strenghting ... what a familiar word ...

Overstrenghting ? ... too

Very nice work, Denis

Live turorrial in episodes

And seasons

Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic