Holiday Harbor multi build By Popeye the sailor - 1:20 scale

thanks Nenad.........not that I plan to drop it any time soon  :D  :D    almost breaking things off is a constant worry for most.......just my way of heading it off at the pass!  ;)

whoa Baby!!!!   that the high test brand!   I only do regular ;)    I think it best to just have a radio behind it or something......the vibrations mat tend to jar things loose  :D  :D    thanks for the idea though.   if I started to do things like that,  I think 'ole Nick would get the impression that I was trying to horn in on his turf!  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Very neat and clean work Popeye.  You gonna put windshield wipers on the cockpit glass for encountering heavy seas??   ;)

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

you spoke to Andy huh.........;)      jee,  haven't really thought about it........windows are big enough.    I've added them to three of my other builds.........not a bad idea.  I'll keep it in mind Piet! :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Don't start doubting yourself now mate, everybody knows what you are capable off and that's why we follow you, we love what you do, when you do it and how you do it.

Leaves me nothing else to say other than "DO IT". :P  :P :P  :P  :P  

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, "Supreme Ruler of the Universe" has a certain ring about it don't you think, I don't want to say from an "active member" sounds a bit rude to me. :D  :D :D  :D  

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

sorry 'bout that Sjors....I was doing some exploring yesterday.   I need to make the cap rails for these two,  so I turned to the Boulogne to see if there were supplied parts for them....and there are {for the curvature of the bow}.   I then went into the 'parts panel box' that I created for them,  and dug out the templates to trace them.   trouble is,  they need to be made thicker than the flat stock that I have on hand.  I don't want to glue them together as layered,  to make them thicker.........I rather make them from solid pieces.  not seeing any useable wood from the parts panels {yes, some of them are sacrificed when I really need a particular wood},  I thought a bit further.  I do have what I need,  but I hate to ruin the pieces........I have to show you......I'll be right back.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

so,  here is what I'm looking at Sjors.    in checking out the capping rails for the Boulogne,  I took them and dry fitted them on the Jingle Belle.  now I wish I had a picture of the parts panel......you could see how efficient they were in utilizing most of the panel blank,  when they laser cut the parts.   some of them aren't so good.......quite a bit of cast off after the parts are punched out,  which is good in the event that you'd need to make another part.  perhaps I can do that later,  when I cut the parts out.  so here is the Jingle Belle with the rails,

post-612-0-61166900-1416426035.jpg

during my search for the rails,  I happened on the box I had found in the cellar.   this is full of eyelets,  in about several different sizes and colors.

post-612-0-80954100-1416426179.jpg

I started to separate them.......I set up several medicine pill bottles to put them in.  I had to stop though,  because it became to monotonous.  this will take time.

post-612-0-18216900-1416426797.jpg

these can be used a number of ways........but the two best aspects for them are hawse holes and portholes.   they can also be used for sheave holes as well,  if one can be satisfied with them being totally round.   when I first found this box,  a future project came to mind.   I have some parts,  that I came by a while ago........there is a story but it's kinda long,  and I'm sure you don't want to hear it.

post-612-0-36659600-1416427058.jpg

these are parts that belong to a Billing's Danmark kit.  I got the main part of the keel,  the bulwark panels {2} and the lower panels {2}.  I also got some of the fitting parts,  brass rods,  and a block of balsa {which I already used}.   to look at the lower sections,  these eyelets would be perfect to insert in the holes to dress them up.  

post-612-0-46844500-1416427317.jpg

post-612-0-56896600-1416427329.jpg

I have the plans for the Danmark as well.  My plan is to take the parts diagrams and have them blown up 1:1 to the model,  later to be transferred to wood.......but just the hull parts,  since.....who knows,  it might not even be the Danmark when I'm done.  the reason to show you this.......I've been wanting to, and the face that I was looking at them when I was talking to the admiral about the cap rails.   I need to get the wood to make them,  and she made the suggestion that I use the bulwark panels to make them

true.....these panels are of the thickness I need.   but,  in checking them out,  due to the laser cut holes,  it would be a terrible waste of wood to try and cut them out.   so,  it's errand time.......I will take the admiral with me.....perhaps we will do some more scavenger hunting.   I am glad to finally be able to show this to you.   it's another project that I have in mind,  and when I'm ready to roll it out........your surely to be the first to know!   I'll try and cook up some meaningful progress when I get back  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

New avatar?

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Nothing like a good "junk yard" of extra stuff to find what ya need in this hobby. I've sometimes surprised myself when I take an off the wall piece out of my junk box and use it for something unique and necessary.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Nenad:    just the spice ;)

Sjors:      I was glad to show you just one of my future ideas.   I still need to get to hobby Lobby for the wood......and maybe even the lighting kit.   I really like to get the tree boat up to speed with the Jingle Belle

John:      I don't throw anything away.   in the few years that I've been doing this medium  {5 - 6 years},  I've amassed quite a bit of inventory......I have a filing system that works fairly well for me.   I have a separate one for the wood....I have some old pictures,  perhaps I can take some updated ones to show you.

thanks to all for the likes and the kind comments  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I do the same thing...throw nothing if it has any potential to get into a model of something

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

I was out today.......I got the wrong thickness wood......1/8 instead of 3/16.  bad guess on my part.   I also had a closer look at the light kit and almost had a heart attack......they want $70.00 for it!   I looked at the piecing out the parts,  and walked out of there spending $37.00.

I'll show you what I got soon.

you never know John.....what was meant for one thing,  can be fashioned and altered for something else.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Another spice?

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

yes Nenad.......it more fitting :)    I have another one I found that looks really cool,  but it doesn't fit either.  so,  I went back to what fits better.

anyway.....I promised I'd show you what I scored in my recent scavenger hunt.   as I mentioned,  the lighting kit was about $70.00.....I should have looked closer the first time.   I wouldn't have been so shocked.   I decided to go piece meal with it to save a little.   first,  the transformer for $19.99.

post-612-0-02192200-1416609435.jpg

this will attach to the bus board that I got for $9.99.   I'm going to take a close look at this,  because if I can do it,  I want to cut this down to about 3 or 4 outlets.   the rest will be hardwired in the hull,  for the lights that have plugs already on them.  I'll cement the plugs in place,  so they don't fall out with time.

post-612-0-66118200-1416609978.jpg

I found the website.......these are exclusive to Hobby Lobby.   they don't carry any of the metal parts for them.........if I can do what I want to do,  all I will need is solder and heat shrink tubing.   I also picked up a package of outlets and these really cool bulbs,  that are supposed to flicker.   they will be perfect to set up near the windows.

post-612-0-20488700-1416610325.jpg

as far as the wood goes,  I didn't go back to get the correct thickness.   I took some 1/16 &  1/32 flat stock and glued it together.......it's being pressed as we speak.   I'll see how this works out when I trace and cut them.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

the dilemma over wood thickness is over........it's not much of a picture,  but I ended up gluing two pieces of flat stock together,   to get the blank I needed.

post-612-0-01143000-1417098381.jpg

it was left this way for a few days.   while I was working on the reels for the Andrea Gail,  I did this at the same time.   the parts were traced out.

post-612-0-36412300-1417098548.jpg

rather than try to use the scroll saw {which is out in the garage........and the truck is stuffed in there because of the snow storm}..........I used my trusty box cutter to cut them out.   they turned out a little rougher than I would have liked,  but with a little clean up,  they should be OK to use.  if not......I still have enough to make another set.   I have the first one sanded.

post-612-0-50699700-1417098995.jpg

I got three more to go.......

post-612-0-28559900-1417099022.jpg

clutter..............gotta love it!  :)  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Yaaayy Popeye, a man after my own heart, making his own planks!  That's what I did too, making my own plywood.  Hey, a man has to do what a man has to do - - - uh, that goes equally for the femenis here  ;)  Can't find the size of wood you need, make your own.

From way down here in chilly Florida, at least for the next few days, the thingies you cut out look good.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thanks Piet........I will need to thin them down just a tiny bit.   the wood I used is standard measurement......and apparently the bow caps for the Boulogne must be metric.   don't think I have any planking that thick either......most likely cut metric as well.   not a big deal.   I had good intentions to get to the table today {thanksgiving}.......but after a big meal, all I was lucky to do was get to my recliner!  :D

glad I could make you smile......I thought I'd see pockets where cement didn't get to.....but it looks like I did a good job of spreading it out.

thanks for the likes everyone who chimed in  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

better late than never........I had made some progress a couple of days ago,  and I wanted to add more before I showed it to you.   I finished sanding the first set of bow rails,  and installed them on the Jingle Belle.

post-612-0-24531400-1417664788.jpg

post-612-0-63233800-1417664800.jpg

post-612-0-46531700-1417664835.jpg

I made up a pair of side rails for her,  but I can't do them at this time.   I need to get the front wall of the warming room framed and sheeted.   I still need to frame in the windows {they will be doubles},  and the door tread is already in place.

post-612-0-85559500-1417665155.jpg

they will be double doors.   I have done more.......I'll try to get them up for you soon.   tomorrow I need to get a new keyboard and mouse........everything seems to be breaking down all at once!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice work on the bow rails....... looking at that framing job,seems you've done some construction work at one time or another!! :P

frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Nice framing there, Popeye.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

thank you Frank,  Augie,  and John for the good word.   thanks to you as well Keith for the like.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

"A new keyboard and mouse"

A mouse playing a keyboard on the Jingle Belle.  Looking forward to that.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

yepper Bob.........you never know what I'll find in one of my scavenger hunts  ;)    they had a complete set over at the local Home Depot,  but they were way out of scale {their trees were pitiful too!}.   we found one in a tree lot behind Dairy Queen......a stone's throw from our house.  I was impressed with the quality.

my keyboard had a bad case of sticking keys and my mouse lost the ability to scroll.   happy to report that I have a brand new 'matching' pair..........no more sticking 'J's' Sjors  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

New keyboard and mouse... nice framing.... what more can anyone ask?  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

New keyboard and mouse!!! Hmmm ... with or without tangled/tangling cords ... We have some other festivities first before setting up the green monster. Enjoy your non-sticky keys and silky scrolling mouse

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

putting some old knowledge to work........helped rebuild our home after a fire {when I was a youngster}.  I learned quite a bit from my dad  :)

never really got into wireless Carl.......but I'm up and running again,  and I hope to have a bit more progress for you all  ;)  thanks for the good word!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I finished the framing on the front wall.   now the objective here will be to get the wall sheeted and the side rails on.

post-612-0-03948200-1417831357.jpg

after sheeting the port side lower portion,  the side rail was installed.

post-612-0-96703300-1417831428.jpg

then it was to continue sheeting the wall with the bits and pieces I have lying around.

post-612-0-81921700-1417831503.jpg

the starboard lower portion was put in place.

post-612-0-51459300-1417831618.jpg

then the starboard side rail was added.

post-612-0-56083900-1417831656.jpg

outside of the trimming around the door and windows,  the wall is done.

post-612-0-42202800-1417832004.jpg

post-612-0-55829100-1417832026.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: