Holiday Harbor multi build By Popeye the sailor - 1:20 scale

sorry to hear about your dad Greg........hope he gets better for the Holidays {although you may celebrate it differently that we do here}.  kinda hard to have the Christmas spirit when there is so much sickness around me,  when here I am,  sitt'in here as right as rain.........I hold out hope for all of you fine folks.  I hope you all find that little bit of joy that's reserved....just for you  ;)    thanks for the good word........I have to work this morn,  but I hope to get a bit of table time in........I want to do a mock up of the windows,  to show what I have in mind  :)    bear with me

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

gee.......I have some time to myself........now,  what do you suppose I oughta do ?   by george........I think I'll do a little play time!   I did try my experiment with the Testor's Window Maker........this time I used a board {seen earlier,  I think}.   after painting some more netting,  I used plastic wrap to act as the barrier.   I know........the window maker will stick to it........I'll try to remove it after,  but if it don't come off.....so be it.   it will be fine  :)  icky-may!   the netting was stretched over it.......as best as I could get it.

post-612-0-90713900-1450373151_thumb.jpg

I used up almost the whole bottle.........just as well,  it's pretty old.   I did find out that it's water soluble....washed my brush out after I was done ;)   I'll get a fresh bottle in the near future.   there is a little bit of wrinkling......but not as bad.   you can see how clear it turns........this is still a little tacky.

post-612-0-92787200-1450373334_thumb.jpg

well......anyway,  I couldn't wait.  I still had to make the windows for the port side,  but I took all of the other windows down cellar and gave them a primer coat.  

post-612-0-93734800-1450373456_thumb.jpg

to insure that the wrinkles wouldn't be a bother,   the two front windows were cemented down in a position,  so that they would flatten them.   I took a piece of 1/8 flat stock and clamped it on top of the windows to act as sort of a pressure plate.

post-612-0-35565700-1450373668_thumb.jpg

as for the door knockers.......they were cleaned up a little,  stuck on a piece of tape and painted flat black.   after they were dry,  they were dry brushed with gold

post-612-0-95414400-1450373775_thumb.jpg

the clamps were removed........I gave it an hour or so.......and this is what the windows looked like.  the white glue did activate the glazing......they were stuck to the table {not too bad}........but the table has a Formica top and they came up easily

post-612-0-60664800-1450373974_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-75760200-1450373995_thumb.jpg

I like 'em........can't see through them.   it would have been cool to do some interior work.........perhaps I'll do something down the road  [i'll do a mock up with the window maker later and show you all what it looks like}.   as a matter of fact,  I gotta start thinking of a roof  {wouldn't be a warming house without one}.  anyway......here's what the windows look like now in a dry fit.

post-612-0-73452400-1450374386_thumb.jpg

I have one more process to do to them........I told the admiral....and she told me I wuz nutz!   as I was doing this stuff,  I sent the stern window to the press........here's what it looks like.

post-612-0-45795200-1450374494_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-12807700-1450374511_thumb.jpg

I have today off as well.......gonna try to get some more done,  but I have Christmas shopping to finish up on.   the starboard side windows went to the press next.   I have enough here to do the port side windows.

post-612-0-03218800-1450374701_thumb.jpg

I also have to look at shingles...........not the itchy kind either  {not any fun at all}........I have an idea....you'll see very soon ;)    oh........before I forget..............my son bought me an ornament this year.   it was fine when he first showed it to me,  but when I took it out to put on the tree,  the bow lights had come loose.   a quick tie with some thread and some CA took care of the problem, and it now hangs in the tree  :)

post-612-0-98646000-1450375257_thumb.jpg

hope everyone's holiday is running according to plan  ;)  ENJOY!!!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Denis the window glass looks great!

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

thank you very much John and Michael.  I bought a pack of colored markers......I plan to color in the small areas of the netting.  I'll see how close to stained glass I can get  ;)

thanks Patrick..........I'm going to see how it goes....but that's what I'm shoot'in for.   I'm going to make the roof removable.  I can store the battery packs in there........more to come,  I'm sure  ;)

I got the starboard windows cut out........still got to fit them better.   got some pictures here for ya  :)

post-612-0-07485400-1450394066_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-90391200-1450394083_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-06633100-1450394100_thumb.jpg

looked into the top to get this one.......

post-612-0-90482500-1450394131_thumb.jpg

didn't think it was close enough to show the interior..........stuck the lense of the camera in the port side opening...and fired one off  :D

post-612-0-02573600-1450394220_thumb.jpg

thanks for the fine comments and the likes  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Is this the one you're moving into?  :D ....... just kidding those windows came out real nice !!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

if I'm not careful Frank.........if I'm not careful  ;)  thanks for the good word my friend  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Denis the window glass looks great!

Michael

I sort of agree with Michael, but it doesn't look great: it looks outstanding!

Great idea about the windows mate. I'll be putting that into my memory vault for my next build.

Havagooday mate

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Excellent work on the windows.  The netting worked out great.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Your wife is right Denis, you are crazy - - - but, but, but in a very nice and creative way.  Stained glass windows on a boat, who would have thunk that  :rolleyes:  

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Very cool idea, and nice execution.  Well done Denis!

- Bug

• 2 weeks later...

thanks Lawrence......got a few things that seem to be slowing me down,  but I'm still finding time to play.   I'm trying a couple of experiments at the moment......not looking too good for the stained glass look.

now that Christmas has past......and I've taken a vacation,  I tried the last process for the windows.   it worked out for a short time.......but the longer I lingered with the marker pen,  the more apt I was to go through the 'glass'.

post-612-0-74037700-1451256345_thumb.jpg

when I began to see what was going on.......I stopped.   the liquid chemicals in the ink marker was breaking down the white glue.   holes were forming.......I turned to the sample of netting I had treated with the window maker.  I took it off the board it was pinned to.   to my surprise,  it came right off the plastic wrap I had used as a barrier.   it wasn't as clear as I thought it would be either........

post-612-0-05872500-1451257119_thumb.jpg

up close to anything though,  it was a different story.....

post-612-0-23462000-1451257163_thumb.jpg

I thought that it might be best to make another set of windows.......removing the existing material would be quite messy.  but before I did that,  I wanted to see if this material could handle the marker ink.   it didn't.

post-612-0-91132300-1451257422_thumb.jpg

it bled through.....sigh..........    so that's a bust.   I think I have enough material to finish the last set of window frames....and redoing the one I ruined.   oh well........it was a good idea while it lasted.   back to the drawing board.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Bummer that idea didn't work Dennis, but I think John is right about the water-colors. Seems like they'd be less corrosive to the material.  :)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I have been followong your build. When I have some time I was going to try making windows. What I had in mind was to use the netting, but I was going to try future floor wax. It is still water based, so I was thinking about using food coloring. Not sure is I should put the food coloring in the wax then pour it into the netting, or try the food coloring on the wax in the netting when the wax is dry

Bummer on the markers Popeye Dennis.  The water color paint is one idea but so is acrylic.  Acrylic is also water soluble and can be made to be opaque when thinned down.

Good luck with whatever you'r going to use.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

I think the problem is the white glue and the window maker are both water soluble.   I'm not sure what you could paint on it.   You could... and it sounds pretty iffy even to me, is white glue and food coloring.  Make up as many colors as you need.  The problem will then be bleed over to the next piece of glass.  If that could be stopped, then it might work.  I like the effect you were trying to attain, though.

Or.. do a little on each glass piece.  Let it dry and then do it again.  Maybe you were doing to much at once on each little piece?

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Denis

Just a thought...and a very laborious solution, perhaps. Could you use some sort of stencil to cut the exact shape of each mesh panel out of coloured plastic (like cellophane) and place it in each panel. You could then sandwich them in between two clear sheets of plastic. Could work quite well, but it'd be fiddly for sure. But that way, you'd Be pretty close to simulating a stained glass panel.

Anyhow, just me thinking wildly...

Cheers

Patrick

a big thanks to you all.........I'm so overwhelmed with all the suggestions.   they make me feel that it really wasn't such a fool's errand after all  ;)  when I showed the admiral,  she loved it.......but when I told her what it was doing.......kinda bummed her out.   I'm not going to give up the idea just yet..    in all of the suggestions,  it still boils down to the fact that I'm working with something that is water soluble.....which means that anything introduced to them will upset the apple cart.   I didn't think the window maker was either.......but I guess I found out with this final test.   it doesn't say anything about the makeup of the window maker on the bottle.......oh well......we know now  ;)   I have two more ideas that might work:

attempt to bond the mesh onto some clear cello......I have some really thin stuff in my inventory.  then I can try to color the cello instead,  using the mesh as a guide.

take a ride to the local Hobby Lobby and see if they have sheets of stained glass in the doll house dept.   they have carpeting,  wall paper,  and different treatments for the interior and exterior.

I just thought of one more idea.........see you folks in a moment  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Future (Pledge) floor finish is basically clear acrylic.  Once dry it would be stable.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

OK.......if we can't put the color directly on the 'glass'  .......perhaps we can add a backing.  I took another piece of mesh and scanned it.

post-612-0-07861900-1451322139_thumb.jpg

I did a few adjustments as I went along.   the first two I did normally......the third is in grayscale .......the fourth one I tried black and white,  which didn't come out.......and the fifth one I adjusted the gamma and highlights

the normal ones

post-612-0-47971600-1451322329_thumb.jpg

in greyscale

post-612-0-37663400-1451322351_thumb.jpg

and then the one where I made the adjustments

post-612-0-04176500-1451322391_thumb.jpg

I should perhaps paint the mesh copper and then scan it again.   I can color in all the facets and the line them up to the panes.   once marked off,  they can be glued to the back of the windows.  of course,  I'll have to treat the paper with decal bonder, so the ink doesn't run or go nuts when it glued on.   whadya think?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Print it on an overhead transparent sheet.

bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I think Bob is onto something there, Denis.   Those clear sheets are mylar and won't distort.  Plus you can "color" them.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Very well done. It is a fantasy-model is it? For the windows. Why dont you use some transparant paint? Vallejo has some colours in transparant. Or some thinn transparant coloured paper or coloured packaging foil? Just some thoughts.

thanks for the added thoughts..........I'll look into it.   I probably can find stuff like this at Hobby Lobby    {I got a gift card for Christmas ;) }

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

G'day Denis

I had a similar problem a few years back, i lied, 20 years ago. Well you can doo all the work in photoshop and print it on a good quality architecture tracing paper. Then sandwich the tracing paper in a document heat protector. You might have to pass it through a few times. But you should get a very clear ridget window glass.

Havahappynuyear from down under

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

try the mesh again but try colouring PVA glue for the glass and drop it onto the mesh with a cocktail stick, some lovely ideas here 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat