Holiday Harbor multi build By Popeye the sailor - 1:20 scale

yea....we got a lot of folks crying in their snowcones up here  :D  :D  what crazy weather we're having  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

G'day Denis

Looking very interesting. To answer John's question: why don't you put lots and lots of candy on the outside with a big oven inside. You then can call the boat "the Hancel and Cretel". Just an idea mate ;)

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Nice framing indeed Denis.  And I hope you're staying warm up there.

- Bug

thanks for the good word Greg and Bug!   also to all who hit the like button  :)    my admiral....what a peach!  she saw the look on my face when I came up from the cellar,  after the botched paint job.......she directed that I do my painting in the house.  she pointed to the kitchen table.  I simply told her ....'you don't know what your saying!"   our weather has moderated.........I've cleaned up the mess on the hull,  and even modified the top rails.  they had a couple of shallow spots on the bulwark.   I'm at the point now,  where it's time to mask her up again.......this time....the main hull color.  I should have an update soon.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

An appreciative Admiral is worth their weight in gold, Popeye.  I'm looking forward to the update.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I will have something soon Mark........had to work this morn.....got home an hour ago.   I have an errand to run and then..............:)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

As ive said before Denis, your admiral is worth her weight in gold.

We in sunny Australia don't have your problem, so we don't know how much if a pain in the backside it is.

Keep on trying mate.

havagooday if you can

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

John said the same thing Greg..........if you folks have a Wal-Mart........I can relocate.   :D   :D    I have a very understanding admiral...she loves the boats,  but has come to dislike plastic   :D   I got the Santa Maria for Christmas......she got it from a website that I like to window shop  oldmodels.com       it's a Revell kit that was produced back in the mid 60's.   it doesn't specify a scale,  but I think it's around 1:89.   she cringed having to order it :D   :D  it should be interesting when I get to it.   :)

now,  it's update time......When I had done the cap rails,  I used some basswood that I had gotten in an earlier Billing's kit.   the cut of the strips was not that great...the edges looked very rough.  I figured that I'd be sanding it anyway,  so it might smooth it out.  it didn't......ended up sanding the outer lip close to the bulwarks.   I was going to let it go.......but the more I thought about it,  the less I liked it.  I was able to fatten up the starboard side with some 1/16 strip stock,  sanding and blending it into the existing cap rail.

post-612-0-45342600-1454022388_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-56793400-1454022420_thumb.jpg

I wasn't so lucky with the port side though,  so I had to replace the offending section

post-612-0-90584300-1454022546_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-64413400-1454022558_thumb.jpg

with a bit more sanding and blending,  I can finish fixing the green bleeds,  and get her masked up for the second stage of outer hull paint.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

by this time,  I have her masked up and down in the cellar,  having her primer touched up.    ...and while this was going on,  I did a little work to the roof section,  thickening up the front and rear eves.

post-612-0-41485500-1454023848_thumb.jpg

I'll show the parts involved.......but first the look of the hull,  back to square one.   the masking wasn't much,  I only did the green part.   the masking tape had to be trimmed,  since it was wider than the strip itself.

post-612-0-25572600-1454024015_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-55292500-1454024029_thumb.jpg

now that this is done,  it will be masked even more........time for the main color.   it took a while,  as you can guess.....and then back down to the cellar it went.   as for the actual paint work........let's just say I ran into the same technical difficulties.

it didn't run like the green did,  but it exposed cracks in the hull.......ghosts.......and a weird thing,  where it activated the primer and rippled it.   only in one area though...kinda curious what caused it.   while it was drying,  I did the rear eves.   it starts with strips of 1/16  square stock...inner and outer under the eves.

post-612-0-69215800-1454024507_thumb.jpg

then,  a fascia board was cemented over them.

post-612-0-66559400-1454024565_thumb.jpg

this will hide any gaps along the front and read fascia walls,  under the eves.  the outer surface is then sanded flat,  getting it ready to accept a cover board...I'm looking for something decorative.

post-612-0-46235700-1454024983_thumb.jpg

when the back pair are dry,  they will be sanded too.   any gaps in the roof sides will be covered with shingles.   now I go play damage control........it's really not as bad as it sounds.  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Fun build Popeye and really enjoying following along. Of course sorry to read about all the painting woes, but sure you'll figure it out! 

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

thanks Kees........kinda got into it after I saw how the M&M Fun Ship came out.  that one was easy though.....I had everything planned and figured out before I even began building it.  I even added a few things,  thanks to suggestions folks gave me.   The Holiday Harbor Fleet was a concept I had,  but I was starting from scratch {literally},  but I had no concrete ideas in how to go about it.   it started with three hulls........one of them ended up becoming the Andrea Gail.

so now I'm down to two hulls........the Christmas Tree Boat still needs to have it's hull planking done {believe it or not}.  I've been focusing on the Jingle Belle........probably because I've already given it a name.  you can say that I like this form of modeling......I still have a subject and I have a lot more freedom to add detail and imagination.   the jury's still out on the stress level though.......they can be just as stressful,  as building a replica ship.  thanks for the good word.......I still gotta catch up with your build.   fantastic work your doing!

Thanks for the good word Patrick.......and thanks all for the likes!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Nigel..........it's just me,  refusing to give up on the Billing's paint.   I like the paint..........it has a nice shine,  and it dries to a very hard finish.....come in handy with the minor bumps and nudges.  usually I mix up the entire bottle,  but of late,  I've been doing it in batches.   here's a couple of shots of the paint work.

post-612-0-29289800-1454028048_thumb.jpg

the port side didn't come out too bad.......just a couple of small cracks.   nothing too serious

post-612-0-58539200-1454028116_thumb.jpg

but,  the starboard side had a bit more wrong.  the white blotch you see is where the rippled primer was.  I've already sanded it out........take care of the other issues and I'll re shoot it.   there is one other mistake I made.......I forgot to cover the scuppers.  I can imagine what the deck looks like :blink:  :unsure:

thanks George...........trouble?!?!?!   now,  whatever do you mean  ;)    me.........get into trouble?! :ph34r:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Marty.......welcome to the project  :)     I did a few repairs to the hull and took it down to touch it up.  that one spot has resurfaces again!  I did however,  remove the bottom masking and most of the green area {I left the area where the spot is masked for the time being}.  I like the looks of it.......next will be the bottom paint,  and the pin striping along the borders.  I should have something to show for my troubles soon  ;)

thanks for the good word!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

it was a productive morning........a little bump,  but otherwise A-O-K   ;)     I had said....the heck with it......the bottom paint is going on as planned.   I used the Model Master paints this time....Dark Drab for the bottom paint color.   funny how it works though.......you get comfortable doing something.....and then other things get in the way.  shopping......Gibbs......putting a starter in my son's car.......things meant to keep one on his toes.   I wanted to get a shot of the hull without the masking on the bottom,  but I was too fast for myself.   I had the upper part of the hull masked and ready.   all I could get was this

post-612-0-61472500-1454111484_thumb.jpg

I almost did it again........I was removing the masking before I took this

post-612-0-50355500-1454111539_thumb.jpg

I left the deck masking still on there,  so I can fix that bad spot again........still don't know what's causing it.   it's not as bad,  as it first appeared.....so I may be getting the better of it.  there are a couple of really minor bleeds that can be easily touched up.   take care of them,  and fix the blemish......and I should be ready for phase 4.

post-612-0-98694100-1454111994_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-66160200-1454112006_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-69485300-1454112019_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hey Denis

What a brilliant paint job!  She's looking really swish, now.

I have to admit that seeing your last photos, has reinforced in my mind just how large these full sized hulls must have been.  I guess that's a case of 'form following function', given the large amount of fish that these ships would've carried.

Nicely done, of course, as always!

Cheers

Patrick 

thanks John.........good that I'm on my work week ......it will give the paint time to fully cure.  then I can fix the bad spot.   we'll see what it looks like when I do the last bit of it   :)  thanks for the good word....and the likes   ;)

thanks as well Patrick.......the Boulogne Etaples...the hull that I modeled these from,  is a stern trawler.  it was very easy to modify this hull to become the Andrea Gail.  but I liked the large deck...I'd have lots of room to play with :)   I still need to get a prop,  so I can do the rudder,  but I ca play a bit more on deck....and I will.   I gotta put in another order....I getting much needed supplies a little at a time.  I need to replace the parts for the Boulogne.......then I can bring her out for a while ;)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

hello Lawrence.......always glad to see you  :)    yea......going through the boring stuff right now.......watching paint dry {and hoping it won't ripple in a certain spot}.   your just in time to catch an update.......I think we can move on now  :)   thanks for the good word my friend........and thanks again for those who have been following along.   I've been hoping that ideas would be coming to me a hundred miles an hour {like the Andrea, or the M&M}......but with this build,  I seem to be flying by the seat of my pants.   who would have thought that it would be so hard to nail down a concept here?   I'm going to keep going with this build.......perhaps I'll get a brainstorm ......and off I'll go  ;)   but for anyone who is new to the hobby,  of those who want to try something different.......I like to think that I'm doing this to let you know that there's more than 'a' ship in that kit you bought.  look at that hull you just created and think of how many ships have that same hull construction.  hopefully,  you saved the parts panels,  or traced out the bulkheads,  just for chuckles and grins.   then make that other hull,  and see where your imagination takes you.   I have the perfect kit to further show this....{actually,  I have two}...........I can't wait to get to them!

anyway....................last week began to show us a splash of color for the Jingle Belle.  there is one  'fly in the ointment' though......hopefully I can fix it and move on.   three colors are already on the vessel......there are two more that will adorn the outer hull.   OK.......sand the offending area....again.........

post-612-0-14353400-1454509588_thumb.jpg

it was then brought back down stairs and given another shot.   to my amazement,  it looks like it's starting to come back!

post-612-0-45483500-1454509732_thumb.jpg

knowing that I had to work last night at the airport,  I decided to let it dry and see what happens.   I did rip the masking off the top part of the ship.   I was very happy to see that there was minimal over spray in the scuppers.   I will have to decant some primer paint to remedy the situation,  but a light sanding will remove most of it before the touch up.

post-612-0-57753500-1454510400_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-23759000-1454510413_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-12572500-1454510427_thumb.jpg

so,  let this be a lesson to you.......never leave your scuppers open.   now,  I've cleaned up the front and rear roof edges along the walls.......they look good.......but what about the roof edges along the port and starboard sides?

post-612-0-49019400-1454510703_thumb.jpg

for this,  I'm going to add drip edges.

post-612-0-91385800-1454510756_thumb.jpg

I did get to finish this before I had to leave..........I can fine tune this when I get home.   I took one last look at the drying process,  and was amazed to find that the nonconformity had almost disappeared!   there is a slight blemish from the sanding.......the spot can be seen,  but only at certain angles.  I can live with that  ;)   we'll move on from here!

post-612-0-26647400-1454511225_thumb.jpg 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looks great Denis, the drip edge is a good idea they work very well.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

your right Michael......since every house has got 'em  :D  :D  :D    don't know why I didn't figure them in.   I guess you could consider it a casualty of freehand modeling.   thanks.........and thanks to all who hit the like button.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

since I started to do the drip edges,  I'll finish them.   both drip edges are in place,  and at each end,  I matched them up with triangular pieces of planking.   these will be trimmed and sanded flush with the mating at each end.

post-612-0-22676200-1454548916_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-27365800-1454548928_thumb.jpg

trimmed and sanded,  they give the edges a beveled look.......front and back.

post-612-0-17277300-1454548985_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-16993100-1454548999_thumb.jpg

with the roof put on the structure,  both pitches of the roof now lap over the edges,  like they are supposed to.

post-612-0-65006000-1454549061_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-78312900-1454549072_thumb.jpg

next I'll have to see if drip caps can be done to close them.   there's still more to go yet for the roof  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I don't know if I mentioned this before.......but I was looking for future floor wax,  and do you know that neither of the two big grocery chains carry it!   I did find something though......I haven't done anything with it yet.   I was looking at the windows and resumed finishing off t he last set for the port side.  I also picked up the doors....they still need to be finished as well.   so,  I set up the ruler again and laid them out.

post-612-0-34846500-1454550954_thumb.jpg

I made up a pair of door handle plates.......pre drilled them so not to cause any adverse damage to the doors.  the top hole is for the door locks and the bottom is for the handles themselves.   the heads of two 10 mm brads and two shaped pieces of brass rod,  will serve the purpose quite nicely.  cemented in place,  they look like this.

post-612-0-27923700-1454551267_thumb.jpg

as I did with the door knockers,  I now have to do to them......so I masked up the doors.

post-612-0-16323500-1454551358_thumb.jpg

first painted with flat black,  and them dry brushed with gold.......I'm hoping to achieve sort of an antique brass

post-612-0-56262500-1454551427_thumb.jpg

then.....of course,  to finally find a home for those door knockers

post-612-0-46704000-1454551487_thumb.jpg

as I was doing this,  I was putting the windows,  that were already finished,  back in place.  I had shown the candle lights I'm planning on using.   one crapped out on me,  so I only have one left.

post-612-0-99488200-1454551632_thumb.jpg

now that the roof is assembled,  I can show you how the structure will look lit.  the effect with the roof makes it all worthwhile  :)

post-612-0-39074700-1454551739_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-16414500-1454551754_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-89701400-1454551768_thumb.jpg

the admiral really liked the lighting effect.   still more painting to the hull and cap railings.......not to mention the siding and getting the roof finished........and of course,  the windows....    I swear,  it will NEVER end  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

hello there Ed........glad to hear that my favorite reader is doing better!   I hope she's following this build.......I'm sure she'd enjoy it.......I'm hoping it gets a bit more interesting.   Once the warming house is close to being finished,  I can then get into more boat oriented stuff......like the pilot house ;)

I'm keeping her in my thoughts,  to be sure....tell her I hope the trend continues for her.   give 'er a hug for me.   you two kids stay off the dance floor.......no jitterbugg'in.......OK!?!?!?!?!  :D  :D  :D  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Wow Dennis!  She's coming right along!  A house on a boat, and complete with raised-panel doors! Who'd have thunk it? Amazing!!  :P  :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

thanks George.......I was surprised how much light the single candle light gives off.   the roof really helps out with that.  I still haven't quite figured out what function this boat has during the  'off'  season  ;)   thanks for the good word!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: