Holiday Harbor multi build By Popeye the sailor - 1:20 scale

Hi Denis

I'm catching up on your last couple of updates and wow, she's really coming along beautifully.

What's more, after seeing your photos of the lit cabin, I think two words immediately came to mind - magical and whimsical. The Windows just add to the overall effect.

Beautiful!

Cheers

Patrick

Denis, You wont fine Future in the stores. I think Pledge bought out Future years ago but modelers still refer to it as Future.  The ten year old bottle of Pledge I have says, "Pledge with Future shine.  Premium floor finish.  Long lasting shine tough acrylic protection."   The back label says it is a tough acrylic finish that contains no wax.

I use it both as a sanding sealer and as a finish protector. 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Loving the door knockers!

- Bug

You are playing with a fire, Denis ! Be carefull. Verrrrry nice work, my friend

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

thanks Patrick.......I was hoping that it bring words like those to mind.  after all........'tis the season   ;)   thanks for the good word!

thanks for the head's up Bob......I didn't know that.   I bought this other stuff.......did a test with it this morning.   the ingredients says that it has a plasticizer in it......sounds like it's right up my alley   ;)    thanks for the good word as well   :)

thanks Bug........they were a quick thought.  kinda neat......a sort of scrooge / marley thing   ;)  definitely worth adding into the build.   good to have them finally where they should be......before they get lost or something.  thanks to you as well   :)

no worries Nenad......it's a synthetic fire  :D  :D  thanks!

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Bob is right you won't find it as future. I also have a old bottle, and found a new one at Ace Hardware. What you will look for is acrylic finish.

I also use it for a sealer, primer, and finish. I find it 101 uses for it. Also great for putting on photoetch parts. Never thought about making windows out it until I saw your log.

Very nice progress Popeye Denis, drip edges on the roof, no gutters though ;) .  Then the door handles and knockers, wowsie babe, they do look like antique bronze, very classy.

Paint job on the hull came out really nice too.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thanks Piet...you might say I thought of you when I did the doors.   I pre drilled all my holes.......sanded any drill leaving from both sides of the 'brass plate'.   ......didn't solder though.....figured it would be too hot  ;)  I'm glad you like 'em........makes me smile  :)   thanks for the good word.

I did things rather quickly last night.......never got a picture of the door in place,  in normal lighting.

post-612-0-07998600-1454636056_thumb.jpg

I finished the last set of port 'badge' windows....

post-612-0-42837500-1454636099_thumb.jpg

.....took 'em down stairs and got them painted right away......then I got the bottle of that stuff I bought and read the label.....

post-612-0-61527100-1454636172_thumb.jpg

never knew that about the future......guess they should have changed the name to  'the past'  {'once upon a time' probably wouldn't have fit on the label}.   I saw this stuff ......it will even shine stone......might be great for the man cave {ba-dum-bump!}.  I poured some on a piece of plastic wrap and spread it out....took 1/2 to an hour to fully dry.  then again,  it may have been too thick....but that's me though......always lay'in it on too thick  ;)   kind of a change of pace...not watching paint dry....but errrrrrrr, {between you 'n me}  just as boring.           wanna watch with me...........OK!

post-612-0-22039100-1454636976_thumb.jpg

OH!  I forgot.........I dry fitted the windows before I took 'em to be painted.........

post-612-0-42998400-1454636848_thumb.jpg

anyway.......after they were painted {this time for real}......the window film was cemented on.....I'm not going to change the windows......I'm going to paint this stuff on the back of them.

post-612-0-60735200-1454637231_thumb.jpg 

I even took out the part of the front window,  that I colored,  and put in some new film.

post-612-0-64107500-1454637346_thumb.jpg

when I painted the floor shine on......{I was informed,  it is not  'stuff'.......it has a name},  I put the windows face down on the plastic wrap.   after I done a couple more,  I noticed that the film on the ones I had done,  were looking like they were beginning to sag.  so,  I flipped them over and lightly blotted the film onto the plastic wrap.   this should straighten them out.  so now they are all done......they need to dry

post-612-0-68128700-1454637743_thumb.jpg

I should add that the ingredients of this floor shine....doesn't have any wax either......it has what they call a plasticizer.  it also activated the white glue.......it was seeping through a little....so it was good that I flipped them over.

the big test will be tomorrow........

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hello Denis ,Your words of warmth are sincerly appreciated by the Admiral,also mentioned your nice lighted cabin and the neatness of your paint job,we are sure you are an inspiration to others as to your "off the grid so to speak" ideas and the execution of them,nicely done .many thanks Edwin.

thanks slow2cool.......I know my plastic modeling friends use it as well.   I've never used it......     I'm pretty sure though that future or an equivalent,  could be used for window maker.   I've used that product too........put out by Testor's.   we'll see how this works out.  thanks for looking in  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Ed and urmilla  {I hope I spelt your name right}....you just keep watch'in.   just a little more to go,  and I'll hopefully be dress'in 'er up.   you'll think it's Christmas in July!      thanks for look'in in and the good word!  :)

thanks George......got my fingers crossed!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Beautiful !! work Denis.... love those doors and windows... looks real cool when it's lit up....... are you going to lease or move in yourself :P

frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Sweet work, Denis.  I'm waiting with you to see how the glazing turns out.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

hey there Frank!   thanks a lot..........:)   lease...........I dunno........can ya sing?  :D  :D  :D      B.Y.O.O.    {bring your own otterman}  ;)

thanks Mark :)   flipped them back over this morning.......they stuck to the plastic wrap,  but peeled right off with no trouble.   I'm giving them more time to cure........look really shiny  ;)    I started the siding shingle work ........gonna be a bit slower than I thought.   tell ya when I do the update  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I got a bit more done today......wasn't sure what I wanted to do first.   I settled on some shingle work......finally do something with all that mahogany I chopped up.  setting up the ruler again,  lines were drawn on the strips.......I used 10 mm as a guide,  but they are different widths.   they will give the appearance of separation lines between the shingles.

post-612-0-08806900-1454717228_thumb.jpg

this isn't all of them......just enough to start off with.   for the next step in preparing them,  I took a razor blade and cut triangles out at the ends of the lines.

post-612-0-39446200-1454717376_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-74001300-1454717394_thumb.jpg

I started with the starboard wall........cutting one of the bare strips into narrower strips.  these strips I will line the bottom of the wall 'field',  in between the trim.   then the first shingle strip is cut and placed,  it will act as a backing for the triangle cutouts,  and won't show any white.

post-612-0-36863900-1454717695_thumb.jpg

I kept the stagger of visible shingles @ 8 mm....don't know why I chose it.........seemed like a good increment.   as they climbed up the wall,  they presented a problem.   originally I was going to make them from basswood...individual shingles, and I was going to taper the thickness.   but,  I used the mahogany instead,  and I didn't taper them.  now the shingles wanted to jut out from the wall.  to cure that,  I cut short lengths of odd pieces of planking,  and clamped them,  in an effort to make them lay flat on each other.  as you can see,  the triangle cutouts are also staggered.

post-612-0-99758900-1454718264_thumb.jpg

the windows got shuffled around while this was going on......first on my desk.....later on the main table.  I examined them at that point and flipped them over.   they came free from the plastic wrap easily......now they can get some air,  if they need it.   they're very shiny  ;)

post-612-0-07175100-1454718447_thumb.jpg

finally,  the wall was done and had time to dry........I could remove all the clamping stuff.   the 8 mm spacing was good all the way up.

post-612-0-50939000-1454718652_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-83200400-1454718668_thumb.jpg

three walls left.........that's not counting the roof

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Patrick George and Ed  :)    I started in the stern wall.......I can only do a few before they get too unruly and I have to clamp them.   when the walls are done,  I'll either give them a coat of flat lacquer,  or I have some poly urethane.   that should bring out more of the color ;)  thanks for the good word!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Super nice, Popeye.  I like the plain wood for this.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Great stuff Popeye...love the mahogany shingles! 

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Hi Denis,

Here I am again, popping up to check that you haven't gone completely of the rails and I must say I have no need to worry.

There's far too much progress to mention all at once but I have to say that the windows, lights, shingles, paintwork and drip rail all look absolutely great.

I wonder just how the warming cabin effects the boats stability though.

I do have a suggestion for the roof, have you thought about putting Solar Panels on, might work. Just a thought.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Nice, now one doesn't see shingles on too many small vessels, on the small roofs of the galleries on the sterns of some of the big three masters yes, but Denis you are breaking new ground here.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

A warming house on the deck of a boat.  Is this what you call a Houseboat?

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

thanks to everyone for the kind comments....and to those that hit the like button.   I tried to keep fantasy and probability in balance...it's obvious that I've strayed more towards the fantasy side of things.  still......quite a bit can be done to make it all come together.   to try and reclaim the probability aspect,  I would need to do some reconstruction.   ........a thought just came to me  ;)

I agree with you..........the height is the factor here........keep everything else,  but ditch the height thing.   .....and I've thought up just the thing  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

As Scooby would say: "Rut Row"   :)  :)

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hey Denis, glad you thought of me drilling your great looking antique door handles, at least you didn't break a drill bit like i did ;) 

Here iI learned something new, using floor finishing stuff to make glass.  Who would have ever thunk that, amazing.

Shingles look fantastic too, where will your imagination go next?  And now you are thinking again.  Whenever you start thinking  we get hit with another surprise.  Different roof maybe?

Cheers,  

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Pfff, had to catch up ... felt like running after a freight train at full speed ... my your creativity is making overtime ... fabulous ideas, and realistaion of them ...  glad you took wooden shingles, and not ceramic tiles ... those might be a tad heavy

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

interesting conversation with the admiral last night........I told her about part of the idea that I thought up........and she actually tried to get me to keep the roof.   

yes Piet.......a different take on the roof might put her back on the road to probability.   the height alone is the problem....kinda thought that myself after I made it.   I'll have to play with it to see how it will work  :)    thanks for the good word!

thanks again for all your nice comments.....and for the likes!   next couple of days are going to be busy for me.......hope to have an update soon  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: