Holiday Harbor multi build By Popeye the sailor - 1:20 scale

G'day  Denis 

Wow,  amazing  work that you have done. The shingles, doors, door nobs etc looks superb. Sorry that I was missing in action for a week or so, but what I've  seen, does you proud. 

What's your thoughts about the roof? Aren't you going to keep the pitch roof? It's a pity after all the brilliant work on it, and not to keep it, but it's up to you. I always trust your ideas.

Keep them coming 

Havagooday 

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

thanks Greg.....no need to worry about being missing in action........the log is always here  :)   I fully understand.   thinking about the roof.......the height in large part,  doesn't look right to me.    I haven't done anything yet...snow removal and a hectic work schedule got in the way.    I hope to have an update very soon  :)     thanks for the good word and looking in.......always good to see you  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nice, nice, nice !!!!!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Though a steep angle on the roof is good to get rid of snow when it gets to heavy, it looks disproportionate on your boat. Here in Holland, we have floating homes, and as far as I can remember those have flat roofs, or hardly any angle to it at all ... hmmm, maybe slanting backwards only ... trial an' error probably ...

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Your boat is a boat of your imagination.  Do what you want.  You will be happy with your dream boat, not what others tell you a real boat looks like. 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

love your sense of adventure Bob!  :D   oh,  I intend to.........but I think a seriously high pitched roof like that,  might be a bit over the top..{had to put the pun in there}.   I won't dismantle it..........but I think it would be neat to compare the two.   besides,  I'm beginning to sound like Bob Villa  ;)

that was my thought on the roof Carl.   if I were to have the pitch the other way,  it might act as a spoiler when the boat powers up.   that might push the stern lower in the water....and pull the bow out of the water.    I did that to the M&M boat......the aft lavatory roof slants backwards.    the overall height of the vessel was kept at a minimum,  and kept somewhat in the proportions with the width of the hull.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

as mentioned......the shingles are going to be a slow mover.   I did complete the stern wall though,  and made it half way up the port side wall.  here is the stern wall.

post-612-0-19172600-1455148019_thumb.jpg

and with the window...haven't done anything with them yet.

post-612-0-38781100-1455148060_thumb.jpg

I hope to get the port side done tonight.......and maybe get a start on the front wall.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

G'day Denis

I'm hooked on this log, can't wait for your next log update. Again your shingles are looking great.

Havagooday mate

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

thanks Greg and everyone who hit the like button......I did complete the port side.  I even cemented together the windows,  but I didn't cement them in place......that will be later.   should have the picture for you to see soon.  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Your boat is a boat of your imagination. Do what you want. You will be happy with your dream boat, not what others tell you a real boat looks like.

Bob

...and just to add to Bob's words. In the real world, if there's a compelling need for a particular design for a full sized boat, then someone will build it. Correspondingly, someone will buy it and, someone will use it.

The point being, that there are some butt-ugly ships out there. But nobody said that they shouldn't be built. Likewise, I see no reason why something like your ship could not exist, especially if someone (such as yourself), was imaginative enough to dream of it.

All the best

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

thanks Patrick........I appreciate your kind words.   not to worry........there's still a lot of insanity left in these 'ole bones  :)

I fully intend to go stark raving mad with this build......even if it kills me  {well,  maybe a slight fever....anyways}  :D :D  I promised you folks an update.......trouble is,  real life is playing with me.  but I got a plan of action......I had to work Monday evening at the airport,  after leaving Wally early to accommodate it.   I had to work today.......and tomorrow for my boss over there.....he wanted the time off.   {can't blame him}.   so I'll work these two days,  and Saturday at Wally......and then take Sunday and Monday off {at Wally},  to give me a nice long week end!   I may have to work a few hours here and there,  but I'll have plenty of play time  in the meantime  :)

anyway.......the stern came out alright......and I was almost done with the port side.

post-612-0-02813700-1455238096_thumb.jpg

the bottom was laid down for the front wall.........this is going to be tough because of where it is...the deck side.

post-612-0-66618900-1455238174_thumb.jpg

while I was letting the last of the shingles dry on the port side,  I thought I'd cement the windows together.   they will need some touch ups when dry

post-612-0-49037600-1455238290_thumb.jpg

I have some plastruct 1/4 molding.......the joints in the windows were grooved with a triangular file.   the molding will be cemented in these grooves to make the gaps disappear.

post-612-0-84249400-1455238430_thumb.jpg

when done,  they look like this

post-612-0-93642000-1455238469_thumb.jpg

so,  in place,  now that the clamps are gone,  the port side looks like this.

post-612-0-30841600-1455238551_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-31726300-1455238565_thumb.jpg

I did get a start on the revised roof.   again......please don't think that I troubled by anything that is said.......far from it.

I see the key words........I'm not daunted by them........I use them.   they gave me this wonderful idea......too good not to at least give it a try.   it's going to add so much more to the build.  ;)   it started by getting a tracing of the roof.   I also have to take into account that the structure has a slight warp to it.......I got rid of it with the roof.......now I will do it with the new roof.  it is lined with 5 mm planking strip........I goofed slightly with the width,  so I slid it back about 5 mm and gave the stern window a roof edge.  you'll see when it is in place.

post-612-0-73881400-1455239417_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-02393300-1455239432_thumb.jpg

the edging will lap over the structure,  and hide the warp.   more as I get further along.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Uh-oh... you're not adding an ice rink on top are you?   A hot tub would be nice but it would be a bit cold getting there. ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Beautiful work Denis - I enjoy following along !

Current Build: Willie L. Bennett - Model Shipways

Future Interests:  Friendship Sloop - BlueJacket Ship Crafters

Cape Cod Catboat - BlueJacket Ship Crafters 

G'day  Denis 

Don't worry about  Mark's idea, I've got a better one. Do an Australian theme and have a beach scene with santa lying on a beach towel and his suit hanging on a tree! Lol

Havagoodone mate 

Greg 

thanks to all who commented and hit the like button.  :)   lots to think about........but I can't seem to do it with a straight face  :D

Mark.......bug........are we trying to guess what the purpose of this vessel is during the off season?   hint.......the captain's name is Bubba  :)

you do understand Greg,  that Santa's complexion is about as white,  as the underbelly of a new born gosling.......poor soul would blend in with the beach sand!  :D  :D   I better not say more........or I'll get coal next year   :ph34r:

thanks Gerty and John.  :)   glad your enjoying the log.

I have been working on my idea.......if I do get pulled away this week......it will just be for short periods of time.   It had better......my watch lists for both forums are beginning to get long again.    hopefully,  I can show you a comparison tomorrow.  stay tuned  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

well........I got it to the point where it's about as finished as the roof.   so.......what is to become of that platform?   it all begins with some 1" posts........

post-612-0-07562800-1455501215_thumb.jpg

....later to be cemented around three sides.......for the time being.

post-612-0-40946200-1455501280_thumb.jpg

the next step,  came the planking,  to box it in.

post-612-0-05436100-1455501332_thumb.jpg

progression.........

post-612-0-56328400-1455501360_thumb.jpg

progression..........

post-612-0-66443800-1455501446_thumb.jpg

progression...........

post-612-0-22555300-1455501474_thumb.jpg

until all three sides are done and sanded.   that little on the port side was an idea that I ran across the admiral's inspection.........she likes my other idea better  {it figures}.

post-612-0-19843600-1455501619_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I am thoroughly enjoying your fantasy come to live.  Marvelous job on the shingles Dennis and with the windows in the walls - - - what can we say but - - nnniiiiiiiice.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

G'day Denis 

A SHRIMP BOAT CAPTAIN? Is that what you are hinting at?  :P  ;)

I love the roof mate, and you're right not using the itch roof!

Well mate

Havagooday 

Greg 

post-16911-0-82737600-1455512760_thumb.png

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor

sorry I didn't get to post all the pictures..........walking dead was due to come on.   for those who watch it.......it was a treat, wasn't it?!?!?!? Holy cow!!!  :)

when the admiral finally saw what the improved roof was for,  she was quite relieved.   she thought it was to be attached to the stern in some weird way,  elongating the boat.   I was indecisive concerning stairways........1 or 2.......but I think 1 will be sufficient.  it won't be an ordinary flight of stairs....just something I want to try.   the posts were little buggers......I even used CA........but every time I went to plank,  1 or 2 would come loose.  fix 'em....let'em set.....then try again.   once the ground work {the first row of planking}  was done,  the rest was easy.  in regards to that short 1 inch section of bulwark in the front, well,  I should have waited......or at least left provision for butt joints there.........but no matter,  I can work it into the deck.

thanks Piet.......there's more to the evolvement...... I'm sure you'll like that as well  ;)

that would be cool George.......best I can do at this time though is a couple of 50 cals.......will that do ?  remember,  it's deer season   :ph34r:   Bubba gotta eat........right!?!?!?!

I love war movies.......I have the original  'Hamburger Hill' {it's not the movie the clip comes from}  :D  :D  I also have  'Good Morning Vietnam'   not sure where you were going with it,  but I thank you none the less  ;)

thanks for all the likes as well  :)

so........I think the minds have been made up.  whether it becomes a heli-pad,  or a rooftop cafe'.........I think the flat roof is the better idea.    the boat is no longer out of proportions,  and the build ebbs back to a more nautical theme.   the comparison is as follows........those for the pitched roof....

post-612-0-92904300-1455540299_thumb.jpg

....or is the flat bulwarked roof better.......

post-612-0-48577700-1455540340_thumb.jpg

I took a few other shots of the new roof......    the tops of the bulwarks have all been sanded flush to the posts,  and the sides have been sanded as well.   I even did inside between the posts,  to knock down the juts and edges from the planking.  I should do more 'cuz the planking  'lines' can still be felt in places....I may not fuss to heavily on it though...after all,  it is a family owned charter fishing boat during the off season.

post-612-0-02753700-1455540750_thumb.jpg

as you may recall,  the model does have a warp at the stern.......I did the 'ole college try to thwart it or at least hide most of it.   I think I did a reasonable job of it........the starboard side looks to be the most visible.   you'll see it when I do the starboard side windows.

post-612-0-19503600-1455540929_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-17201700-1455540964_thumb.jpg

I hope to get more done today  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

My personal choice would be for the flat roof. not only is it more nautical bit also gives you many more options regarding other activities like fishing or whale watching, or even watching Americas cup racing.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I'm kinda diggin' the flat one. It gives you a ton of options regarding what to fill it with.

Btw - little know "Bug" fact, Adrian Cronauer's job in "Good Morning Vietnam" was what I did in the Air Force for 20 years.  

there's a long list of pros Michael.......my thoughts exactly  ;)  I'll save the pitched roof for something else........like a Gnome village or something {I'll get on that right away  ;) }

love that movie as well Bug.......anything that Robin Williams did was good.........yes......even Popeye  ;)    one of these days I'd like to do the ship that his pappy owned.....so far I've found little info on it.  very interesting job....here's a trip for ya.......try to write it the way he says it  :D  :D

I'm working on the front bulwark and the stairway.   in hind sight.......I should have made the front part stationary,  and made the back part removable.   but it doesn't matter,  I can make the stairway and roof as an assembly.   will see what happens  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

That looks much more gooder Popeye Dennis!  I would have thought you'd opt for an open railing with a nice wooden cap rail.  Would make it a little more "airy" so to speak.

No matter, you can also install a few quarter feed tourist binocs for the whale watching instead of swivel guns B)  make a few extra buck that way ;)

All kidding aside my friend, it's really looking very spiffy.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

G'day Denis

Let me explain: Captain Bubba was a shrimp boat captain is a quote from Forest Gump. Hence my thoughts what you might be doing somehow. Havagooday

Greg

nawwww,  if that were me.......I'd be too busy eat'in  ;)   ....a poor man with a full belly.........errrr,  where's me grog?

hey!  I might even have somewhat of an update here somewhere.......hang on a moment  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

hi there Piet.......I'm glad you like it  :)   stanchions.........you know I did think of that.   I went down to the local Home Depot and bought a roll of wire.......a bit late,  but I did.  don't know if the wire will fit in the Billing's stanchions......gotta check to see if I have any first.   If I don't,  I guess I'll be ordering some........need some for the syborn,  my trawler.   there's always the Christmas tree boat  ;)

anyway,   I did a bit more refinement on the upper deck.   figured I'd better get a front bulwark up and done  ;)

post-612-0-38000800-1455598429_thumb.jpg

I even set up the stair well.   I didn't even give these post time to become loose.........on went the planking.

post-612-0-45403500-1455598550_thumb.jpg

it didn't take long...........all that's left now,  is to build up one of the inner stairwell walls

post-612-0-81384800-1455598612_thumb.jpg

I finally took care of that short crack line on the floor.

post-612-0-46736400-1455598706_thumb.jpg

...and then the cutout for the stairwell.

post-612-0-89020700-1455598744_thumb.jpg

flipping it over,  the opening was beefed up and the front cap was laid down across the underside......all this does is prevent it from sliding back and fourth on the structure.   the borders around the sides and this cap are the locator  'bracketing'.

post-612-0-43184400-1455599024_thumb.jpg

at the moment,  the front wall is getting shingled up..........it's late though and I'm beginning to poop out

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

The upper deck looks good.  Now what goes on it?  Hmmmm.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray