Holiday Harbor multi build By Popeye the sailor - 1:20 scale

awwwwww.....I was only kidding!   it was great to meet you and the admiral  :)  if I ever get a chance to travel......I know right where to go  ;)

on the ship front.......there's still more to go.   the ribs that make up the main deck aren't going to take much,  but the bow section is going to give my dremel a good workout!   Curly's giving me a fit.......but I'll have that update up soon.  ;)   thanks for the good word......can't wait to see an update on your build  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

So the three stooges then? this will be interesting to see how you wangle their personalities into the boats.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

for the moment Michael,  that is what I'm calling them.......they have no subject at this time.   I simply named them,  so it would be easier to tell which hull I am working with.   the names will disappear when they branch off into their intended subjects.........hopefully,  it won't take long to get them to that point.

as I mentioned,  Curly has been giving me a fit........it appears that  #2 & #1 ribs are not wide enough.

post-612-0-10538000-1384880859_thumb.jpg

it was late,  so I ended my work on it,  and figured I'd continue on it after my work week was over.   well,  I did........and I found that the post on #0 {the stern rib}  had cracked,  causing it to go  'wide'.   rather than try to fix it and cause a weak point,  I might just make another part and replace it.

post-612-0-97736600-1384881151_thumb.jpg

another thought I realized,  is that the stern will be planked anyway.......why not just lay a few planks on it and use the part........at this point,  it will be secure.  I will fix it and reinstall it :)

....guess it wasn't that big of a problem......now......was it  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

just a small update.........I did end up planking the stern rib and reused it.   I've also been doing some faring to the aft sections.....an effort to smooth out some of the imperfections.   I'll need the dremel to do the bow sections...there a lot to remove there.  I'll use the bulwarks to align the bow with the main section,  since I'm electing to do this alignment in two quadrants,   you'll get a better idea of what I'm doing with the next update.   thanks for looking in.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

If your using a dremel Popeye easy does it, It's not easy to get it right.

By the way your package will be leaving me in the next couple of days ( model related ) :D  :D

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

understood........all I really need to do,  is remove most of the taper to create the shape of the bow.......I can use a sanding block to get the rest of the shape down to where it needs to be.   the rabbit at the stem is going to be the worst part.   I promise to be very careful.   I will keep an eye on my mailbox........I forgot to tell you........I have a flasher!  a friend on mine in Canada sent it to me.   I haven't dug it out yet,  but I think it also has a built-in switch :)    thanks again for being so generous........I really appreciate it!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I figured that I would update you on the progress of the hull frame that I have dubbed Curly.   as mentioned,  I did reuse the broken stern rib.  I also found that narrowing the stern rib,  and ribs #4 & #5,  I can further eliminate the gap problem,  noticed with the jig.

post-612-0-58961300-1385172296_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-07871700-1385172310_thumb.jpg

I had the jig strips on the posts,  when I glued in the starboard side deck beam.   this oak plywood is pretty flimsy,  so I removed them after the glue was dry.

post-612-0-98168500-1385172542_thumb.jpg

I had to trim a couple of ribs on the port side,  in order to get the beam to follow the same curve as the starboard side,  but in the end,  it worked out.

post-612-0-63835300-1385172717_thumb.jpg

I leveled the beams at rib #6 with the cut - away.   one side is a little high.....I need to square it off.

post-612-0-34528100-1385172872_thumb.jpg

the planking of the stern was just as well........I'm going to be doing it to the other frames anyway,  before I do the bulwark planking.   hopefully I can have all three done for the update.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking good Popeye.  And thanks for one more glimpse of America!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I have to repair her........I had her in front of a window.   it was a warm one and I had the window open.   a good gust of wind hit her broadside and sent her on the floor!   the only damage she got,   was a block broke free and the bow spirit and winch popped off.  I did a bit more to the hull frames and I fixed her this evening.   while I'm working on the frames for the next update,  I plan on getting back to the Goth.   I gotta get motivated.........the admiral is beginning to notice.

the AmericA is all better now!  ;)        thanks for noticing Augie.......and thanks for the good word  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thank you John.........now don't get used to those names.....now :)    I'm trying to get them to where I can name them properly.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Holy smokes Popeye.  You didn't say a word.  Talk about a 'shakedown cruise'.

Glad to hear she's back to normal.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

sorry for not posting it..........I was going to add it to the AmericA build.   I don't have any pictures of it,  so I didn't bother.   it's alright now..........a little repair work and she's good as new.   thanks for your concerns gentlemen,  but the damage was very minor  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye, I think if you try renaming them now you'll have a mutiny on your hands.

You've had a few problems with them but that's half the fun I think, dragging knowledge from the darkest recesses of the mind in order to fix it.

Their coming along nicely mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

that's what I like about builds like these  Mobbsie.........the M&M fun ship was a lot of fun to do.   it was really cool how the process went......from the idea given to me by the admiral......to the completed build.

I don't think there will be too much of a stink........by the time I get them to their on their real subject paths,  everyone will be pretty sick of the three knuckleheads....just me throwing a bit of humor in,  for good measure.   I appreciate your saying so though.   you talk about problems.....yea,  there is a couple,  but nothing major..........but I'll show you a good reason why I want to get the bulwarks done so quickly.

I wanted to show this process of the stern and bulwarks done all in the same step,  but I think I had better get this up,  so you can see why.   I have two of them that have that oak plywood......tough stuff you might think,   but....errrrrrrrr,  not so much.   I pretty much had Curly's stern planked up,  when you last saw them.   I want the hull planking to lap over this planking,  just as I did with the Boulogne.

post-612-0-34965000-1385530304_thumb.jpg

now they are all getting their stern's planked........symo - planking!

Larry is done here.......I'm going to do a bit of faring and shaping to the aft section,  and along the bulwark posts.

post-612-0-57937000-1385530518_thumb.jpg

I notice that it's a bit uneven at the bottom,  but once fared,  I will take care of that.   the other two have already gotten a bit of sanding,  Larry's the last one.

post-612-0-33686600-1385530782_thumb.jpg

........and now .......for the reason.

post-612-0-45334500-1385530847_thumb.jpg

these posts are thin...........and the oak aspect doesn't help it out at all.   there is a lesson in all of this....never skimp on the framework.....I will never cut corners like this again!   so I had to stop on the shaping on Larry's aft for the time being.   I am going to beef these up a little,  but I wanted to wait till I get the deck platforms in place,  before I did it.   I also wanted to add a few more,  like the Boulogne plans instruct.   I may have to do it beforehand.   so.....anyway,   here is where they are at at the moment.   I still have to shape the bow section,  before the bulwarks are planked.   that is still the next step of the process........and then move on  :)

post-612-0-91870100-1385531530_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks John for the vote of confidence.........true that the post in question,  really isn't going to see that much tension from the planking.   I can do a slight bend to them,  but I shouldn't have to wet them at all......I didn't do it for the boulogne.    I'll just have to fit a plank and see how it reacts.   thanks for looking in........I was wishing I could have more to show.  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks for the suggestion Ed.......I did that on the bow spirit of the Gothenborg  {it hit the floor}.   I could simply graft a new piece in there,  but I want to see if I can do it without too much fan - fare.    I'll be sure to document the repair.........I just checked it,  and it didn't dry straight overnight.   if anything else....this will be a good log,  in how to think by the seat of your pants  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

more progress made on the  H H trio.   today was bow faring day........this was done out on the front porch.    the first to get the trim job,  was Moe,  since he is made totally of the 1/4 inch plywood.   as the bow was fared,  I went over a few of the high spots and cut imperfections.   after that,  it was sanded with the block,  to smooth everything out and clean it up........especially at the bulwarks  {I can continue to adjust them as I go along}.   these first pictures didn't come out as good as I wanted them to,  but I think you'll see the shaping well enough ;)

post-612-0-60037400-1385598268_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-01383000-1385598279_thumb.jpg

when I felt it had the right shaping........I was a little too steep with the Dremel,  but it gave me a good reference for the other two.   I made sure that there was a good sill for the planks to sit on.   time for Moe to get on the table.

post-612-0-15623000-1385598422_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-89578800-1385598430_thumb.jpg

the first bulwark planks will be full length,  since these will also serve as a stabilizer for the frames.   I have other planking for the lower portions.   the first one is cemented in place.

post-612-0-01416300-1385598569_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-40222700-1385598582_thumb.jpg

during the time this one dried,  I had fared the other frames and readied them for the sanding.   I did break away from time to time,  to help with the prep for the Thanksgiving feast.  later on,  the other side was cemented in place.

post-612-0-95230100-1385598604_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-86656700-1385598848_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-89593100-1385598872_thumb.jpg

unfortunately,  the sanding of the other two was put on hold for a bit.   when I cut the ribs for Curly,  I had one that encountered a void in the plywood.   I was going to fill it in earlier,  but I forgot.   I did it before the sanding got too far......the sanding started to tear away the outer laminates.

post-612-0-98402100-1385599102_thumb.jpg

with that done,  I began to sand Larry,   being very careful of the bulwark posts  {I didn't fix the one that broke....I just re-cemented it}.  I had it lying on my leg.....and I was sanding away at her.......and then I heard a resounding crack!  whether it was the stern post that gave me trouble....I didn't bother to check,  but it had broken on one side.  I glued it back together,  and splinted it with a piece of wood.

post-612-0-08624900-1385599400_thumb.jpg

I'll be so glad when this phase is over.............another thing I can say about this oak plywood,  is that it didn't react well to the Dremel......kept wanting to gouge.  the regular plywood  was much better in this respect.......it behaved much better,  and I could get a much better curve.   I look forward to the time when the hulls are planked,  and I won't have to deal with manipulating it anymore.   like I stated earlier, never again  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Denis doing three at once seems like a great deal of work! they are beginning to take shape though.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

it does in the beginning,  Michael.........the planking is going to be quite a job.   but once the hulls are done,  and the work is confined to the deck and fittings,  I can branch out and work on them.....one on one.   some of the fittings will be identical,  but i also want to give them their own character.  this will give me a chance to see what process works quicker than others.......in the event I show these around,  and they seem.........."lucrative"  ;)

I expect the problems John.........it would be a fool's errand,  if I didn't.   but I like the idea and concept......it's a wide open field.  this is probably going to be the hardest part.   after this,  it will all be creativity and gravy!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hope you had a good day outdoors for the sanding festival.  Looking really good.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Planking and deck and then - - - Oh boy, I can hardley wait.  :)

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Popeye,

I'm still following you.

How many builds have you on the table now?

6 or 7 ?

And you don't mess up with stuff that you need for one build and using for an other ?

You are confusing me....

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

ohhh,  I didn't sand outside.........I did it in the front porch!   I had a good time in spite of it all.  thanks Augie....hope you had a good day as well........plenty of turkey!

for now Bob......it's just the bulwarks......but it will get hot and heavy real soon!   crap!  it sounds like a Vin Diesel movie! :D :D

I'll answer you later Sjors..........but I think it's eight!  don't say that though.........or I'll get confused too ! :D :D :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

we had to run out for a birthday party Sjors.....sorry I had to cut you short.  .....getting confused.....well,  no not really......not when you have lots of boot boxes :)   I get new boots every year it seems.....I save the boxes  {they have a flip top lid}.  I used to keep the kit boxes around.......but they are quite bulky and take up a lot of room.   I just punch out all the parts and bag them according to step...long parts go in a planking bag {I have a lot of them from all the planking I've gotten already},  and I label them.   once everything's in the boot box,  I label that as well.  the parts panels get bagged and saved in a special box I have for them.  the boxes get stacked in the closet,  and the bags get put in one of the tubes in my organizer.....that's what two of the big tubes in the back are for {just the right height}.   every kit is now compact and set up is easy.

that's also the beauty with scratch built models......there aren't any parts!   I do have the trawler,  that I have already bought parts for....that build has a box.   when I start acquiring parts for the H.H. Fleet,  then I will set them up with a box.     now......if I only had a system for my tools ;)

I have a little more to report on the hull frame that I dubbed  'Moe'.   I have the second row of planking on the bulwarks.   a few more rows,  and it might start to look like something  :)

post-612-0-05807200-1385759482_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-32865300-1385759497_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-46853100-1385759511_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-44612300-1385759520_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-67792100-1385759529_thumb.jpg

the one thing I am really happy about,  is the shape  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I understand it completely Popeye.... :mellow:

For every ship you have a boot box....8 ships, 8 boot boxes....16 boots !

Man, you can open a store and sell them !!!!!!

Moe looks great and the shape is perfect.

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif