Holiday Harbor multi build By Popeye the sailor - 1:20 scale

Nice work Popeye.  I have enough trouble planking one at a time !!!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

thanks Augie........actually I miscalculated........I have four of these hulls to sand!   I did a little on the Boulogne while I had it out.   I'm going to need to get a couple more tubes of filler.   I use the Elmer's wood filler - natural.    it's water based and I thin it down a bit more,  so I can apply it thinly...........most of it gets sanded off anyway.   thanks for the good word!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

And there is another master of planking !

Great planking job Popeye.

But with all those ship it's not a miracle that you can plank like this  :D  :D

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

I just hope I can plank these better than I did the Boulogne :D :D :D    a lot less sanding that -a - way!    thanks for looking in Sjors

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I brought out the frame I dubbed Moe and set 'er on the table.   with the others nearby,  I thought I'd show you a really cool progress report on them.   one with the first......one with the second,  and the last one with the third procession of planking.

post-612-0-81899900-1387904896_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-13175800-1387904910_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-58559000-1387904922_thumb.jpg

now,  to continue on with the planking.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking good.  You’ll be a planking expert by the time you finish all your boats.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I think we can call him that already.  The problem is, looking at these photos I feel like the day after New Year's Eve --- I'm seeing 3 of everything :)

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Very neat Denis, you do have your work cut out for yourself over the holidays.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

yes....I do gentlemen.........that's why I took a vacation next week.   I won't be back at work until the new year........plenty of time to get them planked out.   I appreciate you folks following along....they don't look like much at the moment.   the scavenger hunt goes poorly....not a good sign.  all of the funding at the moment,  seems to be going toward Holiday cheer.......I don't mind though.....as I keep tugg'in away at these bottles...hee....hee.   looks like I'll be watching the after holiday sales.......gotta do it though,  or I'll miss my dead line.   work on the planking has pretty much stopped.......although I may try and sneak in one or two more rows.   I wish each and everyone of you fine folks,  the best of the Holiday season......and you find your wishes fulfilled in the morn......

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

:cheers: hello Jud..........I think my sauce is about 5% :cheers: I can better my averages,  if I convert my % to #proof :cheers:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Such fun Popeye, looking good.  3 at a time looks like quite a bit of work...

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

thanks John.........say that to my fingers though.........they are beginning to get permanent dimples from all the pins :D :D :D    I have gotten further with their planking........although not as fast as I would like.   I'm using the pins with the round heads......the bad thing is that when I go to pull them out.......the round heads come off.   I have so many that this has happened to....I'm just throwing them out.   I bought a container of what they call  'map pins'.......they are much shorter than what I'm currently using.   the oak plywood isn't bad at all....the pins go in easily due to the soft core.   The hull dubbed Moe though is a bit harder,  being made totally of the regular plywood.   I did manage to get out there.......an attempt to do a little scavenger hunting,  but I was amazed at how fast the stores are switching gears.   the Christmas displays are almost gone at the Hobby Lobby I frequent.........only 2 - 3 isles,  compared to what there was a few weeks ago.

I took a tour through the doll house stuff as well,  only picking up the last two remaining packages of hinges......and a package of some really cool molding,  that I will find use for.   I have the site bookmarked that Andy had posted to Tom,  on his build,  so I'm not out in the cold in that dept.    it does worry me that I may have to wait,  to get the finer details,   but it won't stop me from getting the majority of the boats built.......most of this will come from nautical sites......the obvious parts.   the display of flat stock had been ravaged as well.

they had plenty of Balsa sheeting........but I don't want to use that....way too soft for me.   I found only two sheets of the 1/16 x 4 x 24 basswood.......I looked to see if they carried wider stuff.......but no dice!   so,  I ended up buying 12 of the 3 inch wide sheets.   I haven't looked at how I'm going to to set up the deck platform jig yet........that will better tell me how the sheeting will be cut.   one thing is for sure.......they won't have that hole in the middle of the deck :D :D :D

Ahhhhhh..........but what of that cover,  I had made for the Boulogne?   this kinda kills the intent I had for it,   but you never know....it could serve quite nicely as a pilot house roof! ;)    the purchase of this wood.......I toast to my younger son,  Kevin.   his Christmas present to me this year was a $100.00 gift card to Hobby Lobby.........his heart,  bigger than his brain.   he also made it a point to go with me when I went......I can tell he still has a desire to get into some sort of hobby.   I told him,  it didn't matter what his interest is in.....He'd have loads of fun in whatever he chose........plastic models........model rocketry.....HO scale trains or cars.   we made the rounds,,,,we had a great time :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I will Wayne........although I got only a little done today.   I'll pull double shift tomorrow..........promise!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Its good to hear your son Kevin is looking for a hobby. So many today think TV is a hobby. For me a hobby involves creation and all one creates in watching TV is a depression in the seat cushion as well as the brain cavity. Personally we've been TV'less since 2005 and I feel we're the better for it. I'm not knocking TV, its just some spend hours a day, but then say... I don't have time for a hobby.

I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but hobby lobby will send a 40% of coupon on 1 item per week to your email. Tammy signed up for it and typically takes care of it, but 40% off help make some decisions sometimes when something you want isn't on sale that week. I've also found that there sales rotate and if one waits but a short time, the savings is usually 25 to 50% off. 

I've never thought of checking out he dollhouse stuff, great advise.

Edited by themadchemist

thanks for the head's up Keith........I didn't know that ;)     definitely something to take advantage of  :)

I did a bit more today......but the admiral wants to put away as much of the Christmas decorations around the house as possible......so,  I guess I know what I'll be doing later.......buggers!  here is where I am at the moment.  this is Larry.........the first eight rows of planking is Obechi......the six additional rows of planking is basswood.  easy to tell,  by the way it sands out.

post-612-0-17659900-1388427850_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-27273800-1388427952_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-83162500-1388427961_thumb.jpg

Moe and Curly are past the eight row mark...........Curly has begun to receive the basswood. 

post-612-0-52325900-1388428294_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-77551900-1388428302_thumb.jpg

I also thought I'd show the fruits of this past scavenger hunt....not much,  but I didn't go store hopping either {what am I saying.......this amount of exuberance,  with the scourge of man,  would have any admiral jumping for joy}.....I must truly be mad ;)

post-612-0-30076500-1388428271_thumb.jpg

the two wider sheet are for the United States......for the spar deck.  once that is done,  I can get a better idea of how much skimping I can do with the gun deck planking.   update for this soon  :)    there are twelve narrower sheets there....they will be used for the Harbor build.

post-612-0-36083000-1388428475_thumb.jpg

these hinges will be for the boulogne Etaples........they were the last on the peg.   you can get these same hinges in most of the Midwest kits,  that require them.

post-612-0-28116600-1388428644_thumb.jpg

I bought this molding,  hopefully to use on the Harbor build.   I first saw some of this scribed wood,  when I was working on the Ambroid kit of the B&M snow plow.  in checking this out,  I found that there are a few places where this style of wood can be purchased.   I remember using ambroid cement in my youth:

ambroid.com

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks John  :)    you know......all these years of .....put it up.........and then ......take it down....is really starting to wear on this poor soul ;)

I'm ready to just tell her to   "pick a room" :D :D :D

planking has turned out to be everything I thought it would be.........SLOW!!!!    hopefully,  the next time you see them,  they will ALL be done.   then they will not only look better.......but I'll be very happy!!! :) :) :);)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Denis,

Turn off the computer.  Go to the workbench.  Plank away.  We'll wait. 

Simple ain't it?  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I'm curious when build nr. 9 and 10 will be arrived on the workbench..... :P

Very nice to see it all together Popeye.

Hope in 2014 we will see some finished builds  :D  :D  :D  ( no rush )

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Uh,oh.  I have a feeling Sjors is going to receive some retribution down the road for his last post. :P

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I don't blame him Augie.......the percussion from the fire works must have started early :D :D :D :D

No Sjors.........#9 & #10 will stay in my head ........where they belong!  ;)     2014 will be aimed at clearing up the clutter from 2013.   I can't lay it all on one year though.....because it was accumulative.  but I am hoping for a happier,  healthier Wharf!  ;)

sage advice Mark,  although my  'year in prospective'  has uncovered a bigger problem than it showed.   I will have a update for this soon.

..................a plank'in I will go  :)

I do have some good news on the broken down SUV........as was told,  the trans had a total melt down.   it is being rebuilt.   due to the Holidays and the problems with Fed-Ex and UPS {here in the US},  it has been hard to find the parts,  since they stopped making this style of Isuzu for quite a few years.   I was told though,  that we could have the truck back as early as Friday,  worse case scenario,  would be the beginning of next week.   I am hoping for the Friday choice....or we'll have to endure another week end  {I go back to work}                      I'll keep my fingers crossed! 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Planking's looking good, Popeye.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

thanks Bob........Have a great New Year............walking dead Marathon tonight.......me & Chinese food........I'll be there!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Love that you also frequent the "Households" doll house section of Hobby Lobby!  They have great stuff there if you can match the scale.

- Bug

H Popeye, looking great man.....3 at a time....fun fun fun.    To add to the Hobby Lobby thing, if you just go to their website you can get the 40% off a single item coupon anytime you need one or if you have a smart phone you can get one sent to your phone as you stand in line.  It's especially great for expensive items, but I use one every time I go....sometimes twice in one day if I have something I really need or the Admiral will get 1, and I'll follow her through the line and use one too.  They don't discriminate....they will use the coupon on your most expensive item.  

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

I didn't know that........thanks John,  I'll keep that in mind.   I'll be back on track with the planking soon........had to take care of a deck issue with my United States build.    got that resolved,   but now we had a decent snowfall...........time to shovel  :(    I'll be back at it soon!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I began to think of the doll house stuff,  after I saw the hinges in the Midwest kit of the Lobster boat,  Bug.   they are the same size.   I'd use the door knobs as well......but I don't want to give the impression that Suzie Smart,  or Sally Grow-a-tooth is going to walk through the door!

they do look cool though.........I can even get a chandelier for the main cabin........how posh is that  :)     mainly though....I'm just looking at the scribed wood.......I don't do wall paper.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: