USS Constitution by BRiddoch - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

• 2 weeks later...

This really looks great. I'm working on the CW Morgan, and about ready to start planking. Your coppering job will be of great help on this. I'll be using it for reference. I just completed the Constitution by Revell after 44 years of working on it. I hope the Morgan doesn't take that long cause I won't be here that long.....I'll be following this. Thanks for the pictures.

John

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Finally finished the coppering over the weekend.  Pics to follow later today. 

Bob R.

San Diego Ship Modelers' Guild
Nautical Research Guild

USS Constitution Ship Modelers Guild

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - 1:76 scale.

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways - 1:48 scale

Higaki Kaisen - Woody Joe - 1:72 scale

I still have the bottom of the keel and the edges of the stem and stern to copper.  Should take about an hour.  Oh yeah...I will do the rudder now so it will patina evenly.

Bob R.

post-516-0-76619400-1371508097_thumb.jpg

post-516-0-00329700-1371508122_thumb.jpg

post-516-0-31875400-1371508145_thumb.jpg

post-516-0-00691500-1371508171_thumb.jpg

Nautical Research Guild

Bob:

That coppering looks very good. I think coppering the rudder now is a really good idea. Nice work all around.

Russ

Very nice.  A moment to sit back and enjoy for a while.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Bob.  That's a very nice job on the coppering. She is one big hull and you

did a good job of keeping the run of the plates true. Well done. :)  

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Inspiring accomplishment. I am stuck and can't seem to get back to work. I have been building masts & spars. Finished everything but the upper main spars and got stuck.

By the way, I'm reminded of the people who thought that the moon landings were staged when I look at your shop. Nobody has a shop that clean and organized. It would take me a couple of days to clear my bench to that level. Must be the sign of an organized mind. Perhaps it's the secret to such outstanding work.

Looking forward to the next phase,

Bob

Current Build:  Mantua "USS Constitution - 1797"

Pending:  Model Shipways "USS Constitution"

Completed:  Model Shipways "USF Essex -1799"

Model Shipways "New Bedford Whale Boat"

Billings "Zwarta Zee" (RC)

BlueJacket "Sequin" Tugboat (RC)

Bob,

Very impressive. Back to the Longboat?

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Sweet on the coppering.  Like everything else, it looks perfect.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks all.  I am debating whether to paint the iron red stripe or leave it be.   Yes Chuck.  I will spend a few hours on the longboat.

Bob R.

Nautical Research Guild

Hi Bob,

You really did a nice job on the coppering, very impressive.

Jim L

What we ever hope to do with ease, we must learn first to do with diligence. - Samuel Johnson

On the Building Ways:                           Launched:                                                 Contracts Signed:                    Member:

The Nautical Research Guild

The US Naval Institute

I'm curious about the copper tape. I have seen other tape from cellophane tape to masking tape to duct tape dry up or get gooey over time. I'm talking decades of years. Does anybody know how the material used for "coppering" the bottom of model hold up? I'm asking because in about a year or so I hope to start my Conny model. It would be a shame if after all the hard work,patience, and devotion to detail were to unravel due to the ravages of time.

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

JSGerson,

I don't know the life span of the copper tape, but I can tell you this, it certainly sticks.  It is difficult to work with but I had no problems with it sticking.  I think the key is surface prep.  You also need to avoid touching it.  Once I had a few dozen plates applied, I used Armor-All Glass Cleaner to wipe it down with a lint free cloth.

Bob R.

Nautical Research Guild

Thanks all.  I am debating whether to paint the iron red stripe or leave it be.   Yes Chuck.  I will spend a few hours on the longboat.

Bob R.

Well I might as well throw my two cents in. I guess it would depend on what time frame the model represents. As you well know, what it looks like today, is not what it looked like in the thirty's never mind what it looked like in 1812. Today the actual ship has a red stripe, in the past it didn't. If the rest of the model represents the ship as it looks today then by all means add the stripe. But that's just me.

That is my primary concern Geoff.  I am building as she sits today but don't want to ruin the copper tape job.  If I paint the stripe it will be with an airbrush.

Bob R.

Nautical Research Guild

Bob I have a question on your coppering the hull of your Connie.

I have almost complete belt one on the Starboard side and I notice that a few of my plates tend to curl up slightly. Even after I press them back down, some of those curl again.

Have you or any of the other modelers experience this and /or have a recommended solution?

Continue the pictures, they are awesome.

Gerry

Current build: Model Shipways USS Constitution

Past Builds: Mamoli Friesland,  Pan Art San Felipe

I'm curious about the copper tape. I have seen other tape from cellophane tape to masking tape to duct tape dry up or get gooey over time. I'm talking decades of years. Does anybody know how the material used for "coppering" the bottom of model hold up? I'm asking because in about a year or so I hope to start my Conny model. It would be a shame if after all the hard work,patience, and devotion to detail were to unravel due to the ravages of time.

I was hoping some expert would comment on this subject.  Since no one has, allow me to venture that copper tape, unlike masking tape or so called duct tape- is intended to last forever.  It is used in making stained glass constructions.  You apply the tape to the edge of the glass, fit the pieces together and then solder over the joints.  Although when looking at the glass you see the silver solder, it is actually the adhesive of the tape that holds it together.

Duct tape is actually a very poor tape for most permanent repairs, and in fact using it in an A/C system is NOT recommended for the reasons you state.  There is an aluminum foil tape that is made for permanent duct that any reputable contractor will use.  You can spot it easily because it is very shiny and will cut you if handled improperly.  Masking tape is, of course, intended for temporary "masking."

I wish I knew enough about it to comment on the chemical or bond nature of the tapes, but I don't   Perhaps someone can take a less anecdotal approach and answer your question properly.

Well I might as well throw my two cents in. I guess it would depend on what time frame the model represents. As you well know, what it looks like today, is not what it looked like in the thirty's never mind what it looked like in 1812. Today the actual ship has a red stripe, in the past it didn't. If the rest of the model represents the ship as it looks today then by all means add the stripe. But that's just me.

I asked my nephew this question about the copper tape. He works for a company in Japan (he speaks very fluent Japanese) that deals with adhesives and coatings, matching buyers with sellers of these various products. In other words they match the problem with a solution. He does all their technical translations into English as well as maintain their website. He is NOT a model builder however. He responded:

Good question. I've actually never come across copper tape before, but I'll look into it. It's something we don't cover specifically, and if I haven't come across it, that probably means we've never covered it. That said, I can tell you all kinds of things you never knew (or wanted to know) about copper tape.

You are correct in assuming that no tape lasts forever. Under specific conditions (mostly sealed conditions) it can last years, even decades. They use all sorts of tapes in construction now, but that is usually for temporarily holding things together until something more permanent is used (screws, etc.). But in a sealed environment, such as that inside an aluminum window frame, it will last as long as your house is standing. In fact, those tapes are often used for waterproofing and not as a structural element, so must be virtually immune to water and moisture.

But the big problem with adhesive tapes is two fold. The first is that most are pressure-sensitive, which means they don't even try to be permanent. The second is that it really depends on what you are taping (the adherent). I am assuming you will be working with wood, and very porous wood at that. This means that oxygen will reach the adhesive layer relatively easily, and quickly. This will oxidize the adhesive (not to mention the copper itself), and cause it to become gooey or dry out, depending on the adhesive agent. The difficulty is in finding a copper tape that uses the right adhesive agent for the adherent. Most stick to wood pretty well because wood is rough, but before applying the tape, make sure there is as little dust as possible. This will increase the life of the tape.

You could also put a transparent sealant over the tape to increase it's life. I assume you would add a sealant to the ship anyway, so you would want to do this after applying the tape (granted, the solvent in the sealant could dissolve the adhesive, just as the solvent in the adhesive could dissolve the paint it is on and cause delamination). In the Tiffany lamps, the solder is basically used to seal the tape so that oxygen does not reach the adhesive agent. Copper tape is used because copper is heat resistant and conductive and can thus withstand the soldering temperature and bond well with the solder itself. I doubt you could solder copper tape on a wood surface, though. Not that you would want to anyway for the application you are considering.

From my understanding of how adhesive tape works and knowing that you would not be working in a nice environmentally controlled area with pressure gradients to whisk away dust as you worked, I would find an alternative. Tape is what is usually called a PSA (pressure sensitive adhesive) and is thus always in a moist state. So I would use a true adhesive that dries completely and copper foil strips. I know that would be more difficult, but if you want it to last years, or decades, to me that seems like the better option.

I'll see if I can find anything on existing tapes in terms of durability, but I have a feeling that copper tape is not designed to be applied to wood or organic surfaces (paint, etc), so I would recommend against it.

I don't know if I have opened a can of worms, muddied the waters, and befuddled everyone. Let's see if he can come up with a more definitive answer.I would hate to have to glue individual strips with CA glue to get long lasting results. 

I am afraid I cannot speak intelligently on the properties of the tape or adhesive.  Luckily I did not have the problem of "curl-up".  I used a small piece of 3/16" x 3/16" basswood as a burnisher to press the tape down over both the wood and the lap over onto other pieces of tape.  To date it still holds.  I did not use a sealer as I am told that it tends to dull the appearance of the copper.

Bob R.

Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Bob

I have tried to minimize handling and contacting the tape.  I use the paper backing to press it down now and that has seem to help some.

any other ideas would be appreciated.

Mercdaddy

Current Build:  Model Shipways USS Constitution

Past Builds"  Mamoli's Friesland ,  Mantua's San Felipe

Hi Bob..... it's been awhile since I've looked at your progress, things are looking awesome, despite the unfortunate mishap. You did some great work on the head rails and seats of rest!, plus the rest of this outstanding build. The Connie is such a great looking ship , everyone should have one! :P. I envy your stays in Japan ( not the flight), I spent a couple years there  and just loved the country and its people.

Excellent job on the plating too Bob !

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

That copper tape (if it is what I'm thinking of) was designed to allow you to run electrical wiring up walls (for lamps and whatnot) without having to make holes in them, becoming virtually unnoticeable after being painted. I would think that a product like that would have to have a fairly good, long lasting adhesive in order to live up to electrical and fire code requirements. I don't think that in the long run, it should pose much of a problem on the hull of a model ship

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy