US Brig Syren by Charley54 - Model Shipways

Hello all

I can’t believe how much I have learned from all the other great build logs here on MSW so I thought it was about time to get going on my own. I actually started my Syren about a month ago and have been working on it as time allows. I am thoroughly enjoying it so far even though there have been some challenges.

My background like many others has been primarily plastic and RC. I can build a plane out of balsa or foam anytime but I have very little experience with this kind of woodworking. I mostly fly electrics now but I also like heli’s, cars and nitro trucks.  So, without further fanfare, I present my interpretation of the US Brig Syren.

Just for orientation here are a few pictures of my shipbuilding environment.

post-6591-0-24201200-1383873855_thumb.jpg

Everyone seems to take a few new kit pictures- so here I go.

So, one of the first things I noticed was that, after pawing through the absolutely fantastic instruction manual for a few days, I became aware that  I was messing it up pretty badly. I wanted to make sure I could keep it fine shape for future use so I took it to the Admiral and she put together the –new and improved- version. What can I say, that girl is always looking out for me.

post-6591-0-68169900-1383875143_thumb.jpg

post-6591-0-40007800-1383875175_thumb.jpg

post-6591-0-97314900-1383875210_thumb.jpg

Hi Charley,

Welcome to Model Ship World.  I look forward to following your Syren Build Log. 

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

From personal experience I can’t stress enough, as many others have, that a complete detailed inventory of the kit should be made. My particular kit was missing 4 separate bags of Britannia castings as well as all of the framing templates for the kit. I have to- tip my hat- to Eric at Model Expo for providing those missing parts, at no charge. Thanks Eric.

post-6591-0-98173200-1383880133_thumb.jpg

Edited by Charley54

I spent several days going over the instructions and plans while also reviewing the build logs here on MSW.

Right away I was dealing with what I considered a pretty nasty warp as well as a twist high up on the BH former right at the stern.

At this point I forged ahead and clamped the BH former between 2 pieces of straight stock, glued on the rabbet strip then cut the rabbet without incident. Next, I glued on the stem knee and keel. I let the whole assembly dry overnight then took off the clamps.

Well so much for that idea. I discovered that the laws of physics still apply, the warp was still there although somewhat modified.

I did some research and asked a couple of questions here on MSW then proceeded to build myself a keel holder as shown in the picture. I had already purchased a product known as a keel clamper which I discovered although fine for holding a hull to work on is almost worthless for use as a device to straighten the warp I was dealing with.

post-6591-0-75589500-1383881123_thumb.jpg

post-6591-0-78272200-1383881161_thumb.jpg

post-6591-0-88495100-1383881190_thumb.jpg

After seeking some input from some helpful folks here on MSW - I charged into the unknown and installed each bulkhead, one at a time, starting from amidships and working towards the stern. I cut and installed filler blocks at each bulkhead as I went, squaring everything along the way. After I completed the back half of the hull, I then worked my way forward using the same process.

In this manner I completed the basic hull, pulled it out of the keel holder and eureka! It was straight and solid.  It seems strange to condense something so monumental  to me down into a few sentences. I have to admit I felt a tremendous sense of accomplishment. I never had so much fun in my life!

post-6591-0-28664800-1383882499_thumb.jpg

post-6591-0-31312900-1383882678_thumb.jpg

post-6591-0-44797000-1383882711_thumb.jpg

post-6591-0-62904200-1383882740_thumb.jpg

post-6591-0-16901400-1383882769_thumb.jpg

Nice work Charley.  Those blocks, if fit snugly and squarely, work wonders.  Keep her in her keel holder as much as you can.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Looks like you are dealing nicely with the warp. As Augie is saying, the blocks will stabilize the framework. By the way, your kit backlog is quite impressive!  :)

Have fun with the Syren!

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Looks good...But dont forget to taper that stem...The figurehead wont fit otherwise.

Chuck

On to chapter 3

It seems the framing templates sent to me from ME were somehow out of scale. I was more than a little anxious when I laid them on my hull for the first time and nothing lined up. I spent some time scratching my head and finally asked for some help. Chuck was kind enough to send me some new templates in the correct scale as PDF files and, after trying these, everything amazingly looked like it was pretty close to where it should be. Picture me happy!

post-6591-0-10806700-1383930141_thumb.jpg

post-6591-0-61709300-1383930167_thumb.jpg

Off to a good start, Charley.  Mind if I pull up a seat and follow along?  My Syren is sitting on the shelf awaiting her turn in the shipyard...in due time!  meanwhile, taking notes on your build for reference.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Overhead shot is showing a nice straight bulkhead former.

Don't forget to plank the lower deck between bulkheads 16 and 20 before you get too far along.  You don't want your crew going down the companionway and falling into the bilge :D

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Looking great Charley.

I'll be watching and learning from you as I begin my build.

I just hope I don't have inventory issues, or out of scale parts.

Cheers

Rowan

Current Build - US Brig Syren - Model Shipways - 1:64 - 1st wood build

Armed Virginia Sloop with complimentary 8x paint MS paint set - Model Shipways - Ordered 31st October 2013

Victory Cross Section - Corel - Ordered 15th October

Wow! another Syren. I will enjoy this.

Charley - I just noticed we are neighbors. Well at least in the same State. And you are even closer to our illustrious Dr. Per. If you would like I can add you to the distribution of our local club. Just PM me with an email address.

Edited by Floyd Kershner

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Hi Charley,

Permission to come on board ?????

I see there is still room at the balcony, so if you don't mind, I'll teak a seat there.

You have a great example at some other builds of the Syren.

So enjoy and I will follow you at the build.

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Edited by Sjors

I decided to take a short break from framing yesterday to correct a couple of missed steps.

First,  I tapered the stem so the nice lady has a place to "take the air".

I am still experimenting with photos. Right now I am having better luck with my phone camera than with my Nikon. I never could figure the darn thing out. Anyway I hope to improve depth of field and focus as soon as I take the time to read the directions.

post-6591-0-16706100-1384112562_thumb.jpg

Next I got to work planking the lower deck.

I trimmed some 1/16 by 1/8 strips to the approximate size. I didnt see any reason to be exact since the ends of the planks don't seem to show.

Then, I messed up. The directions say to run a pencil over the edge to simulate the caulking. Well I had this charcoal pencil, that I use for weathering on the plastic builds that I like to do. So, I thought, hey, that will work. It turned out to be not such a good idea. The charcoal dust is too fine and got all over the place, which was not the best outcome in this case. It made the deck look a little dirty and sanding of course just makes it worse. Anyway, lesson learned.

Everything went together fine and I had completed my first deck. I havent decided about the stain yet. I have the Golden Oak that Chuck used but I saw a can of stain at Hobby Lobby that was called Driftwood. How cool is that. I think I might try it. I like the light gray deck idea so I am going to grab it and give it a try. I'll post a picture when I am done.

post-6591-0-49883400-1384113857_thumb.jpg

post-6591-0-43514500-1384113877_thumb.jpg

post-6591-0-46381400-1384113894_thumb.jpg

I think a 2B pencil is preferred by those who use this technique.  It's always a good idea to check your exact finishing technique on some samples of the wood you'll be using before you actually get down to putting it on the ship itself.  Can save you some surprises :)

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I agree with Augie, many use a 2b.  When I was doing my Syren, I was reminded not to go too heavily.  You will find that even the graphite will powder a bit, not as badly as the charcoal but enough to cause difficulty. At first I did and the graphite started to get on the front of the plank giving it a dirty look as it was handled for gluing.

Richard T.

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

I've got 2B and 4B. Is the general consensus 2B ?

I'm assuming 4B is too soft and gives too much caulking effect.

Current Build - US Brig Syren - Model Shipways - 1:64 - 1st wood build

Armed Virginia Sloop with complimentary 8x paint MS paint set - Model Shipways - Ordered 31st October 2013

Victory Cross Section - Corel - Ordered 15th October