HMS Victory by gieb8688 - Sergal - 1/78 - Restoration

Greetings,

With being house bound due to the virus, thought it would be a good time to work in the Victory restoration.  Finished up the stern work for now, though boat davits will be coming in the near future.  Trees have been built, although they need detail work.  At least now she is starting to look like a proper ship!

Thanks,

Mark

20200321_162238.jpg

20200321_163152.jpg

20200321_162603.jpg

20200321_163126.jpg

Current Build -

1/78 Sergal HMS Victory Restoration

On The Shelf -

Marseille

Greetings Mark

Well we are going back a long time here !!  I Remember it well. I have just had a look through a few years of your log, and the work is very good, especially the rigging which is excellent. I am supposed to be building the Caldercraft  Diana, but it has been waiting a few year for the second planking to be finished, as I myself have not been around for a while. Anyway good to see you again, and my best advise is as always just take your time and enjoy it.  Regards David

Hello David,

Wonderful to hear from you and welcome back!!  Thank you very much for your kind words.  This restoration effort certainly has been a journey!  Not too bad for a rookie, huh? 😆  I am very much looking forward to seeing your work on Diana.  An unanticipated windfall from the Covid 19 virus is plenty of working time on the restoration!  

Thanks again,

Mark

Current Build -

On The Shelf -

Marseille

Hello,

Some upper mast work completed last week.  Stained the masts in an attempt to match the existing patina and pretty happy with the results.  Everything is glued in its final position and now the rigging work starts.  More knot tying to follow! 😊

Thanks,

Mark

20200327_151005.jpg

20200327_144455.jpg

Current Build -

On The Shelf -

Marseille

Hello again Mark

My favourite part of the build....  A little bit of advice before you get to far into your rigging. Get plenty of rope coils around the masts and around the deck area, plus areas that you  may be belaying to, so they look like the end of the belayed rigging. Yep !!! Your running rigging does get snapped a lot trust me. The only good thing about that is you can afford a good holiday out of your swear box. Anyway plod on, all is good. I have nearly finished planking.      Regards DAVID

Hi David,

Thank you for passing along the pictures of the coils!  Certainly does add a bit of realism to the ship.  I have seen some techniques on how to accomplish this successfully, so I will poke around here and see what techniques are being used.  Do you use a preferred technique?  Any pictures yet of your Diana planking? 

Thanks again,

Mark

Current Build -

On The Shelf -

Marseille

Hello,

Upper shroud work is progressing nicely!  Also thought I would include a bow shot, as well as a picture of the model when it was originally completed back in the late 1970's or early 1980's.  Everything on the bow had to be scratch built. 

Thanks,

Mark

20200402_104405.jpg

20200402_154212.jpg

20200403_142254.jpg

Edited by gieb8688

Current Build -

On The Shelf -

Marseille

Hello Mark 

All is looking good. I have been looking around a few old logs and came across Jerry’s from a few year ago.  Can you remember when you we’re asking him about your davits and how to position them, and I had an idea how it might work. Did you ever manage to check it out. My Diana’s planking will be on show soon!!!   Keep up the good work. Regards  DAVID.

Hello David,

Looking forward to seeing the Diana planking and all the effort you have put in on the ship!  Yes, I do remember the conversation on the davits.  Actually that exchanged helped me to get the correct lengths of davits, or at least what I am going to go with for the davits.  Unfortunately the seemingly never ending rigging "black hole" has caught me, and I have yet to work on the davits or small boats!!  🤣 Still, progress is being made and my restoration is actually starting to look like a sailing vessel again.  Almost done with the ratlines on the upper shrouds!  Pictures to follow.  

Hope all is well with you and your family!

Mark

Current Build -

On The Shelf -

Marseille

Hello Mark,

Hope all is well.  Just wanted to say hello to you and David and let all know I'm still alive.

Best,
Jerry

Hello Mark,

Very nice job on the rat lines.  Spaced well, tight and tidy.  Good job.  Couldn't do any better my self  LO

Best,

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Thank you very much for your support.   So happy to have the ratlines done!  Don't zoom in to closely on the pictures though. 🤣🤣  I made the mistake of drinking a fair amount of coffee before trying to finish the last few rows.  Would not recommend that approach!! 

Thanks,

Mark

Current Build -

On The Shelf -

Marseille

Greetings Mark

Hope all is well. Well done, they look really good. Did you work out the  length you needed yourself ? Telling you the road you know, fit them at the end of your build. Keep enjoying it.  DAVID

image.jpg

Thank you David!!  Yes, these davits were measured to a length developed from our conversation a while ago.  Looking forward to seeing how they look mounted on the ship.  Thank you too for sending this picture.  

Mark

Current Build -

On The Shelf -

Marseille

Hello,

Completed constructing the boat davits and a test fitting.  Clean up, permanent mounting and rigging to follow.  Can't wait to build the small boats for these davits!

Thanks,

Mark

20200424_103815.jpg

20200424_103724.jpg

20200424_083612.jpg

Current Build -

On The Shelf -

Marseille

Greetings Mark

Splendid work. They look really good. Do you have the small boats to assemble ?   And when you go to war you  will have to lift them up, because they will get destroyed  by your cannons !!      DAVID

Edited by Shipyard sid
Warning for Mark about he’s davit positions !

Hello David,

Thank you very much!  Looks like the measurements we discussed a while back were spot on.  I purchased two Model Shipways boat kits for the davits.  These two will be my first proper "builds".  Still need to clean up the davits, get them mounted, stained and rigged.  I think the hard part is over though.  I hope you and your family are well!!  By the way, very much enjoying the Diana build log.

Thanks again,

Mark

Current Build -

On The Shelf -

Marseille

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings Mark

Well you have done a cracking job on those Davits  !! Well done.  Now the running rigging,  the chances are the Davits will get damaged if you leave them on  while doing the rigging as Keith as told you. Best take them off till last.  Just keep enjoying it. Best regards. DAVID

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings Mark 

It’s looking very good. Love the standing rigging, it brings the ship to life. Take your time and don’t forget the Davits !!! And any other sticky out bits like the bowsprit for example. Ok away you go again.    DAVID

Thank you so much David!!  I just wish the photos could truly capture how she looks.  Unfortunately they don't.  Excellent point about the davits and other sticky out bits!  I have almost knocked them off a few times already!! 🤣  I think once I get the standing rigging done, I am going to take a pause and work on building the small boats to hang off the davits.  For some reason I feel the strong need to build the small boats.  I appreciate the support and encouragement.

Thanks,

Mark

Current Build -

On The Shelf -

Marseille