HMS Victory by gieb8688 - Sergal - 1/78 - Restoration

Hello All!

Hit my first major snag of the restoration.  As I was working on adding tension to the back stays for the mizzen mast, the top slipped.  Apparently I forgot to glue it into the cap.  Whoops!  Looks like re-work of some lines will be necessary.

Thanks,

Mark

20200611_114537.jpg

20200611_114513.jpg

20200611_114502.jpg

Current Build -

1/78 Sergal HMS Victory Restoration

On The Shelf -

Marseille

Finished the standing rigging I am going to do for now and moving toward building the two small boats for the davits, using the Model Shipways small boat kit.  Decided on a few small changes based on reading posts from fellow builders:

• First - Decided to glue the supports to the 4 formers to add strength to the forms before adding the ribs.  Reading other build logs indicated this was an issue, with the formers breaking, when following the instructions as written.
  • Second - Used the laser cut "sprue" to get the curve for a filler piece on the bow.  Found a scrap piece of wood the same thickness as that which runs along the keel and simply cut out the form.  You can see the stencil in yellow in the picture.  Saved me trying to bend wood for the bow curve.  
  • Third - Saw that the number one former was shorter than the rest as was pointed out in another build log.  Made sure to true up the number one former.  
  • Four - A lesson learned from another build log was to glue a single piece along each side of the keel then cut out the areas needed for the ribs.  

Glue up has started and shortly I will start on wood bending.  Seriously considering using less thick wood and laminating for the four core ribs on the formers.  Decisions, decisions! 🙂

Thanks,

Mark

IMG_20200617_075339_837 (1).jpg

20200617_105951.jpg

20200617_110007.jpg

20200617_125017.jpg

20200617_125042.jpg

Current Build -

On The Shelf -

Marseille

Greeting Mark.   

Things are looking good with your rigging. So a break to assemble the small ships. Are there only two ?  I think there were four on the jotika Victory, but I only made two of them.  I am still putting copper plates on the hull of Diana,  but I have loads  of money in my swear box for an holiday !! Covid permitting. Keep enjoying it . Regards DAVID

Hello David,

I hope all is well with you and your family!  At this point I am only building the two small boats that hang from the stern davits.  I was thinking I might look into doing the small boats that reside mid-ship, but lots of other "small" bits to complete first, aka running rigging! 🤣  For some reason I felt a strong nudge to get the stern small boats built next.  Running rigging is going to challenge me a bit since I was only able to salvage 3 of the 9 spars I need.  Looks like more scratch building on my horizon.  At least the standing rigging at this point gives me a proper looking ship! 

I am looking forward to seeing that copper plating done on Diana!  Well, after your swear jar vacation. 🤣  I really like the progress so far.  Excellent work my friend!  

Thanks,

Mark

Current Build -

On The Shelf -

Marseille

Hello,

After a few attempts at wood bending, I think I have arrived at a workable solution.  Not the prettiest, but for my needs it should work.  Finally have the curved ribs and formers glued to the build board so the proper building can begin.  I think the first effort will be to fair up the ribs a little so I can get some consistency with laying the hull planks.  This is definitely a challenge at 3.5 inches! 

Thanks,

Mark

20200622_082444_001.jpg

20200622_082519.jpg

Current Build -

On The Shelf -

Marseille

Here is the latest update on my small boat build for the restoration.  Finally have the keel on the building board and now looking at planking.  As you can see I did a little fairing of the ribs, but they are pretty wonky.  At this scale, I am going to move forward and hope the planking will "right" some of the wrongs.  I can imagine most of you are cringing at that last sentence!!   😂  Wish me luck!

Thanks,

Mark

20200623_104344.jpg

20200623_104323.jpg

20200623_104358.jpg

Current Build -

On The Shelf -

Marseille

Hello,

Planking has been completed on the first small boat.  Looks more like a picket fence, but for my very first planking attempt, I am happy with it.  Looking forward to getting it off the build board, giving it an initial light sanding to see what else I need to do to get it looking a little more finished.  While a challenge, new skills were developed, with many, many lessons learned.

Thanks,

Mark

20200626_153421.jpg

20200626_153428.jpg

20200626_153436.jpg

Current Build -

On The Shelf -

Marseille

Hi Keith,

Funny you mention that..............I had a piece of veneer out of my wood bin and laid it across the hull to see how it would look!  I may definitely go that route.  Stay tuned for further details! 🙂

Thanks,

Mark

Current Build -

On The Shelf -

Marseille

Greetings Mark

Well done. Seems you are enjoying it now. I did know it was so small. 

I have a few left over from  the  Victory  to build if you want them !!!!.    And I  have a few to make for the Diana with a bit of luck. Keep enjoying it. DAVID. Still putting tiles on ..

Hello Mark - I just opened your log and after perusing it, I’m sure your Uncle would be very pleased at what you are undertaking.  Anyone who’s worked on these great ships understand the huge time investment one makes, which is clearly the case for your Uncle.  It looks to me like he left you a great place to start and you’ve taken it to heart; very well done! I’m so happy your Aunt did not throw the kit out!  I’ve asked my son that if/when my ship is unfinished and I’m gone that he is to finish it and he has agreed.   If that is ever the case, I would hope he would address it as you have.

Thank you for allowing me to watch your journey!

Rob S

Rob

active projects: HMS Victory, Mamoli 1/90 scale

Hello,

Boat 1 almost done.  A little bit of touch up, plus stain and she will be ready to hang off the davit on Victory.  While far from technically correct as far as form and layout, I am happy with it as a first ever build.  Now on to the second boat! 

Thanks,

Mark

20200706_144104.jpg

20200706_144049.jpg

20200706_144045.jpg

Current Build -

On The Shelf -

Marseille

Mark, I think your uncle will be smiling. Nice job!

Current build: Model Shipways “Confederacy “

Completed builds:

Mamoli “Royal Louis“

Mantua “Royal Caroline”

Scratch 1/4 scale gondola “Philadelphia”

Scratch “Hannah” from Hahn plans. 

Progress update.............the second boat is planked and off the building board.  Planking was much, much easier this time, though as you can see, I will have a fair amount of hull clean up to complete.  Very happy with the results to this point.

Thanks,

Mark

20200713_145525.jpg

20200713_140213.jpg

20200713_135720.jpg

20200713_120625.jpg

Current Build -

On The Shelf -

Marseille

• 2 weeks later...

Hello David!  

I was just thinking about that the other day.  Will need to keep plenty of glue handy and the lid off the swear jar! 🤣🤣

Thanks,

Mark

Current Build -

On The Shelf -

Marseille

Greetings Mark 

Excellent work on the little boats, seems you have enjoyed it. Don’t know about small boats midships as they hide the waist. Seems you have a lot of patience, so do you fancy sticking some copper tiles on the hull of my Diana ?? Keep enjoying it.    Regards DAVID

Hello David,

I am still considering building the small boats midship.  There really isn't a large amount of detail on this ship, so having the small boats midship would not cover up too much.  At this point though, I want to get all of the remaining rigging done, add some rope coils, finish up the odds and ends needing to be finished, then maybe the remaining small boats.  Still need to add oars to these two as well.  As you know, never ending list of things to do!! 😂 

Would love to help with the copper plates, if you are somewhat flexible in quality!! 🤣🤣

Thanks,

Mark

Current Build -

On The Shelf -

Marseille

• 2 weeks later...