Utrecht by flying_dutchman2 - Scale 1:48, Dutch Statenjacht of 1746 - Finished

Rough sanded the boat and and the lines look pretty good. 

hull roughly finished 1.jpg

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Worked on the Stern. Sanding the angle of the back (spiegel). Created a gunport template and cut away the area where the final piece goes. I am thinking of using the template for this as it is hidden, so you will not see it. 

Stern with gunport template 1.jpg

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Have also been working on deck items, rudder and leeboards.

rudder, Stern post and brass.jpg

leeboards and brass plates .jpg

Another find were these drill bits (also from the deceased neighbor). 

What I like is that the piece (shank?) you put in the collete from the dremel all measure at 3mm diameter. Also all the bits are numbered. The higher the number, the thicker the bit.  

drill bits .jpg

17 hours ago, kees de mol said:

Very sharp, very hard, very expensive but the thin ones break like glass. (if you slightly bend them)

Keep up the good building

Kees,

Thanks for the info, I will be extra careful. 

Marcus 

Nice work Marc. I've never seen drill bits like that before!:huh: They look like they would be hard to replace.

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Finished the sanding the hull. Created templates for both the top of the deck and the top rail using the thick vinyl backing I salvaged from the old Samsung TV. That material sure comes in handy. 

Throughout this build I have been making lots of templates by xeroxing items from the plans and glueing them on the vinyl. 

templates for deck hgt. & deck rail. .jpg

template were deck is to be. .jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Faired the hull and did the final sanding. Made a radical decision by removing everything at deck height.   Once the deck is in place will glue the finished pavilion on the deck as well as the  sides. 

Hull cut at deck height .jpg

Forming the lower wales (one can never have enough clamps). The wales are two pieces of basswood strips. These will be glued together and painted black. 

I am still researching paints. The paint mentioned in McArdle's book is incomplete. Presently not everything is available and I was hoping angelfather, he is building the Utrecht as well, was going to list his colors on his build. 

So until then, I will be making all the parts until I have the paint colors. 

I thought curving the blunt bow was going to be difficult, but it wasn't. 

Marcus 

Forming the Wales 1.jpg

Forming the Wales laminated 2.jpg

Forming the Wales bow 3.jpg

Great progress Marcus.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thanks for all the likes. 

After sanding and resanding the boat I am now doing the first layer of planking. Starting from the keel and at the same time the edge where it goes straight up. Laying the planks naturally without forcing them in curves. 

Makes for a lot of cutting as they lay over the next plank. 

The bluff bow is an exercise in extreme curves. I'll do more of this with future Dutch Ships. 

First the wet planks are shaped and pinned with stainless steel pins. Once dry,  the planks are glued to the hull,  fastened with toothpicks dipped in glue a the toothpicks are hammered in the hull. 

Marcus 

59b7ff876e2f4_Firstlayerplanking1.thumb.jpg.ec1d9ceb13385317ae3eac7aec197017.jpg

First layer planking 1.jpg

First layer planking 2 bow .jpg

For a change of pace I created the wales. Made 8 of them and will pick the best ones. Due to the extreme curve of the bow I used one strip of wood to cover the whole boat. Two on each side resulted in a crooked piece of wood. Using one long strip of wood resulted in a nice curve that fits over the bow. 

Also, made the 2 skylights. Still need a roof and painted. Paint I will get in the next week or two. 

Note for Carl (cog) . My wife requested I built the windmill this winter. So I will do that. 

I have plans for a garden windmill (polder molen)  which is a replica of one that is located in Amsterdam and my dad worked there as an accountant after he retired from the Dutch foreign service. I emailed the plans to Carl. 

Marcus 

Utrecht wales.jpg

Utrecht skylights .jpg

Nice progress, Marcus. Lovely detailed skylights too.

I haven't planned a time to build the windmill myself. I'm still pondering wether I will build it at the given scale or if I blow them up. BTW I got the original plans from the chap here in Noord-Holland too.

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

28 minutes ago, cog said:

I'm still pondering wether I will build it at the given scale or if I blow them up. BTW I got the original plans from the chap here in Noord-Holland too.

How large do you want to go? Does that chap have any other plans as well? 

Marcus 

Thanks for all the likes.

The skylights turned out well. Since I got the micromark table saw I have been cutting all kinds of wood and in many sizes. It is a great tool.

I have also been working with those drill bits I showed a while back. Broke a few. Just like Kees de Mol said, they break like glass. If you don't drill exactly straight, they break. I drilled itty-bitty holes in the brass flat rods.  I am using insect  pins that I used in my past college days. 

Marcus 

IMG_20170920_062903.jpg

42 minutes ago, flying_dutchman2 said:

How large do you want to go? Does that chap have any other plans as well? 

Marcus 

I think about 1.5x - 2x. As far as I know he doesn't. I drop him an email, after I find it ;)

Carl

On 9/20/2017 at 9:43 AM, cog said:

I think about 1.5x - 2x. As far as I know he doesn't. I drop him an email, after I find it ;)

I think 1.23 meters is large enough for me. Twice the size becomes around 2.50 meters. That will make a nice statement. All you need is create the internals and you have a fully operational windmill and you can grind some grain. 

In Holland, Michigan there is a completely working grain mill. They bought it in the Netherlands, took it apart piece by piece, shipped it, and put it back together. 

Marcus 

Nice progress Markus. Talking about windmills, that's another project on my bucket list.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

the 2.5 m is to the top of one of its wings when pointing straight up, which means the housing will be just over half of that (~ 1.5 m). For other mills have a look here: Dutch Windmills

Carl

Thanks Carl for that URL, I saved in my Bookmarks file. It'll save me a lot of time designing my own but then again I'll miss all the fun ^_^

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

On 9/24/2017 at 7:28 AM, cog said:

Thanks for the link. I will thoroughly check this out. I will put the windmill built in the thread of "what else do you do besides ship building". 

Marcus 

Re sanded the keel area. Wasn't curved enough and took about 10 millimeters away (yes, that is a lot) and looks much better now.

Furthermore, created the deck beams with a curve and they are dry fitted. The little area of scrap wood is where the steps come down. Once steps are in place and you look into the area of the hull, I want it to look neat. I may just add a mirror with furniture. 

Marcus 

Utrecht, keel redone .jpg

Utrecht, deck beams .jpg

Created the lower and upper wales  a while back and painted the top pieces black. I had some acrylics from past projects. The paint is Mars black #1200-2 series 1 from Golden acrylics. 

They will each be in two layers to build up the thickness. Upper wale is 4mm, lower wale is 6mm and the space between them is 8mm wide. Created a 'wale template' by laminating 2 pieces of walnut strips of 5mm thick and 8mm wide. Glued the first layer of both wales to the hull, put the template between them and lamented the second layer of the lower wale on top of the first layer. 

It is a bear to bend them without breaking them. On one side at the bow there is a small gap between the hull and the wale which I will fix. 

I am overall happy with all of the results. I have made lots of mistakes in the process and have learned from it by redoing it. 

Marcus 

Utrecht lower wale .jpg

Utrecht wale template .jpg

While the lower wale was drying, worked on the Stern window frames. It is created from 1mm  square dowel. 59d6afa8c9439_UtrechtSternwindows.thumb.jpg.227f4d011bf42d534cf810922eaafdb2.jpg

Glued the second layer of the top wale. Very frustrating. Broke two of them trying to make it fit in the bow. Where the stem goes there is 15 mm missing. Once all dry a piece  will be fitted, sanded and painted and I hope it is not that obvious. I made many wales just in case I broke some. 

Utrecht, upper wale bow .jpg

Utrecht, upper wale .jpg

Carl, 

Will get you pictures without the clamps. Working on them now. Sanding them and adding some filler 

Marcus 

Thanks for the compliment, Geoff. It is coming along.

I finished the wales. Painted them there final coat. I love this acrylic paint from Gordon. Goes on thick and with a brush, I can spread it without streaks.

I am to the point where I need to get more colors. Gordon has some of the colors I need and available locally. Lukas and Schmincke acrylics I have to buy on the Net. 

Marcus 

Utrecht, wales painted bow .jpg

Utrecht, wales painteda.jpg