Utrecht 1746 by flying_dutchman2 - FINISHED - Scale 1:48 - Dutch Statenjacht

Nice work Marcus.

Does Schmincke has retailers in the US. I got mine from here,and Germany, the latter cheaper than from the Netherlands. Like the brightness of them, very clear colours, and practical bottles with a pipet

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Thanks for all the likes. 

Saturday I went shopping for paint. I was going to get all from Golden Acrylics, but that was out of my price range ($11.00-21.00). Even Lukas and Schmincke were very pricey ($8.00-16.00). So in Hobby Lobby I compared the pricey colors with colors from Hobby Lobby 's own colors - Master's Touch - and got those ($4.00). Same name, same color but cheaper. Then went to Michael's and did the same process. These colors are from Liquitex - Basics ($3.50). One color from Grumbacher ($4.27). Only one pricey color - Prussian blue - from Liquitex professional ($8.70). 

I painted all the colors on a piece of wood. They all go on thick and I can't tell the difference between pricey and cheap. The Golden Acrylics I do have I got cheap a few years ago. The cheap colors are 4 oz. and pricey ones are 2 oz. 

My list of paint is as follows:

Prussian blue 

Mars black 

Phthalocyanine blue 

Cobalt blue 

Yellow ochre

Raw sienna 

Chrome oxide green 

Cadmium red deep 

Cadmium red medium 

Flat white (still need to get) 

So far I painted the wales Mars black. 

Furthermore, I took a tip from Ed Tosti on glue. Mixed white Elmer's glue with brown paint. He uses pigment powder. Results are the same. So now when I glue the deck planks they already have a dark line between them. 

Marcus 

Utrecht, Paint .jpg

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

4 hours ago, cog said:

AS far as I can see it will be brush work ... no airbrush ...?

Yes and I don't do air brush. I don't have the equipment. Maybe one day. Part of the hull will be white and will use a can for that. The cat boat was done with cans. I am pretty good with the brush, I have more control. 

Marcus 

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Thanks for the likes. 

After looking through numerous books, models and not finding how planking is done in the Dutch Golden age decided to do the second layer of planking like the replica of the Utrecht. The book from Hoving and Emke show how it is done. Joints are called 'nibbed scarph joint'. 

Painted the pavilion front, stovepipes and the skylights. The little blue pieces on the dowels go on the pavilion. 

Making the window frames (1mm square dowel basswood). I have made all the frames like this. 

Utrecht, nibbed scarph joint w.jpg

Utrecht, pavilion front, skylights, stovepipe painted .jpg

Utrecht, making window frames .jpg

Window are made and painted white and the frames are made of 1mm square dowel and painted yellow ochre. I enjoy making the little items. Also when I am not making the small items I am working on the second layer of planking on the boat, a tedious process as the wood needs to be exact, especially on the bow. 

Marcus 

Utrecht, window frames painted .jpg

Next project is unconventional as I drilled holes in the hull next to the first layer of planking. Put toothpicks in the holes and took 2 pieces of moist wood (6mm x 1mm) and bend it around them. Pushed the wood down so it would follow the curve of the upper wale. Then used clamps and scrap wood to hold it down. 

Marcus 

Utrecht, deck railing guide .jpg

Utrecht, railing bend & set .jpg

10 hours ago, cog said:

Another clamp forrest. I like the toothpick idea!

'clamp forrest'? I like that. 

I will make holes in the deck as well by lining them up with the hull. Glue tooth picks or beech dowels in the holes. Glue one strip of wood on the inside of the dowel and one strip on the outside and fill the space between the strips with scrap wood. Cover the top and voila, I have a solid railing. That is the plan. But things can change. 

Marcus 

Some more planking and I let the planks go naturally, no forcing, that means I have to install lots of stealers. Planking the bow is difficult. If it wasn't so bluff this would be so much easier. I've done several bluff bows so with every boat it gets easier. 

The masking tape is to hold the wet planks in place. 

Went to hobby lobby and bought 1 pound of Super Sculpey. Started playing around with it. 

Marcus 

Utrecht, stealers 2.jpg

Got a little tired of all the planking so I started preliminary work on a Boyer which is one of the boats from 17th century Dutch merchant ships from Hoving & Emke. Scale 1:48. The hull is 51 cm long. At this scale I can add lots of details. The Stern looks a bit like a fluit and it has a bluff bow. Nice practice for when I want to build a fluit. 

Xeroxed the plans and going to look for wood in my wood pile. Once I get going I will start a new thread.  

Back to planking of the Utrecht. 

Marcus. 

Put the pavilion windows together, the frames are titanium white and the frames are yellow ochre. Besides a few minute paint touch ups they are done. In Dutch this is what is called 'priegel werk' (sp.) 

Marcus  

Utrecht, pavilion windows .jpg

Pavilion windows: This was a difficult project. I used sculpey clay to set the window frames in, aligning the sides. After lots of trail and error, redoing the clay and measuring the length and width of all three frames together, I was able to get it close. Used bits of clay on the top as well to keep it aligned. Used white glue on the inside. Once dried and removed from the clay I can sand them a bit and touch up the paint. I have seen other models on other sites of the way the windows are positioned and they are all straight where as I have them on an angle and slightly bend forward to follow the contour of the pavilion wall. Maybe overkill. 

Marcus 

Utrecht, pavilion windows 1.jpg

Utrecht, pavilion windows 2.jpg

u, pavilion windows 3.jpg

Utrecht, pavilion windows 4.jpg

45 minutes ago, cog said:

Overkill or not, it looks very good, Marcus

Thanks Carl.

Finished the second layer of planking. I am pretty satisfied with it. Planking flows nicely towards the back and the bluff bow looks good as well. 

The will sand it tomorrow, and upload some pictures. 

Still haven't done any serious carving. I keep procrastinating on this, but will eventually have to do it. 

Marcus 

Finished 2nd layer of planking. Still needs to be sanded. The blue tape is to protect the planking on the back of the keel 

59f1f4af642a0_Utrecht2ndplankingdone4.thumb.jpg.a0562488c003eedfdf52837614dc444c.jpg Also a dry set up of how the pavilion windows are placed. Here I use balsa as a template. 

Marcus 

Utrecht, 2nd planking done 1.jpg

Utrecht, 2nd planking done 2.jpg

Utrecht, 2nd planking done 3.jpg

Utrecht, pavilion windows 5.jpg

19 hours ago, Omega1234 said:

Hi Marcus

Nice progress on the hull.  A nice round of applause for the windows, too.  They look great!

Cheers. 

Patrick

Thank you for the compliment , Patrick (this coming from the king of itty-bitty scale models). 

Marcus 

Edited by flying_dutchman2
Add

Finished the rudder and the post. Used cherry wood for both items and the brass pintels were attached with stainless steel insect pins cut to 3 mm in length.

Glued the pintels with CA on the rudder and post, once dry,  used a drill bit #79 (0.0145") to drill holes through the brass and partially through the wood. Then pressed the pins in. The pins are strong and they are great for this. 

Marcus 

Utrecht, rudder and post 1.jpg

Utrecht, rudder and post 1.jpg

7 hours ago, cog said:

Very nice crisp work Marcus

Thanks Carl. 

Nice idea about the clay as a holding device for those odd shaped parts Marcus. She's coming along great.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

It is starting to look like a boat. Glued the stem, keel and post. Also drilled two holes for the stand. I will be using two pieces of brass tubing of equal length. I may cover the tubing with wood. 

Marcus 

Utrecht, stem, keel, post & rudder .jpg

Utrecht, stem .jpg

Utrecht, keel, post and rudder .jpg

Utrecht, holes for stand .jpg

Looking very nice Marc! I like the rudder and pintles, they are nice!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

I had to rethink the railing. First time I soaked 2x6mm walnut and tried to bend it along the curve of the boat and ended up with a clamp forrest (Cog's definition). After the planks were dry they didn't keep their  curve. 

So this morning pulled out the saw and cut 2x2mm strips from Poplar _ Tulip tree, to be exact. Made a lot of these as I am bound to break a few. 

For the Utrecht I have been using a lot of Poplar. It has good bending characteristics, especially for bluff bows and it is cheap. 

Marcus  

Utrecht, railing 2x2mm pieces v2a.jpg

Utrecht, railing 2x2mm pieces v2b.jpg

Walnut is a b*tch to bend, even wet. You have to bend it further than the required bend to have it come close to the curvature you want. I had the same problem on the Dolphyn

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

On 11/2/2017 at 4:29 PM, cog said:

Walnut is a b*tch to bend, even wet. You have to bend it further than the required bend to have it come close to the curvature you want. I had the same problem on the Dolphyn

I was going to use the walnut as it is the correct width (6mm ) plus a 2mm square dowel to make a total of 8 mm high railing. I am now going to use 4 x 2mm strips and veneer it on both sides. It will be painted Prussian blue. 

I can also pin down the walnut with the smallest insect pins I have and glue a 2 x 2mm strip on top of it. I have so much walnut in my possession. 

Marcus