Utrecht 1746 by flying_dutchman2 - FINISHED - Scale 1:48 - Dutch Statenjacht

Nice! Although the POF way of building is the more original, the POB looks more like a ship to me. Funny how we get used to the nowadays usual way of building models...

Hans   

Owner of Kolderstok Models - 17th century Dutch ships.

Please visit www.kolderstok.com for an overview of the model kits available   

• 3 weeks later...

I am not building much on the Utrecht as the weather has been great here and I fried my pc, so I have to use my wife's pc to upload pictures. I overclocked mine to the max...... Oops. 

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

That's the problem with overclocking ... You have better weather than we do, for we are having nightfrost every day! Still ... no time at all for the Utrecht ? What a pitty ... we'll just have to sit it out ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

11 hours ago, cog said:

That's the problem with overclocking ... You have better weather than we do, for we are having nightfrost every day! Still ... no time at all for the Utrecht ? What a pitty ... we'll just have to sit it out ...

I felt guilty. So today was cloudy and colder. Worked on the POF and glued it all together. Made template from the deck to see if the boat is  correct in length, and it is. The POB is the correct length as well. Pictures will follow. 

I find scratch building tough. There is a lot of guess work especially the details such as the deck items. Some of the plans are two dimensional. I have been looking at other books on flat bottom boats and it does help. 

I am writing this from my phone and sitting next to the BBQ where I have a leg of lamb on the rotisserie. Smells good. 

Three weeks in June my wife and I will be going to Europe. Chicago to Iceland (nice viking museum). Iceland to Amsterdam. Rent car. Drive to Hamburg to FLensburg to Copenhagen (another viking museum). Copenhagen to Oslo on ferry. Oslo to Stockholm (wasa museum). Stockholm to Turku-Finland. Helsinki to orvo

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Continued.

Helsinki to Porvo. Drive to the Russian border, take some pictures and not get arrested. While in Helsinki take a day trip to Estonia. Fly back to Iceland and then to the US. 

the maritime museum there in Amsterdam, hear they have the only and biggest source of information about the yachts that you and I are constructing

Would be weird if they hadn't, Brian ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

On 28-4-2017 at 11:56 PM, flying_dutchman2 said:

Amsterdam. Rent car. Drive to Hamburg to FLensburg to Copenhagen (another viking museum).

Thats a lot of driving and only 3 weeks and in June??

Take flights on some of the budget airlines that is probably cheaper than the gasoline and the return fee for the hired car for such a trip.

Saves you a lot of time, to be spent somewhere else instead in a car on busy roads... (its June remember, summer time. unless you drive through the nights it can get very busy on the roads)

just my 5 cnts..

(And by the way, the russian border is not that bad anymore..... unless you purposefully start picturing military objects)

On 5/1/2017 at 8:59 AM, YankeeD said:

Take flights on some of the budget airlines that is probably cheaper than the gasoline and the return fee for the hired car for such a trip.

Saves you a lot of time, to be spent somewhere else instead in a car on busy roads... (its June remember, summer time. unless you drive through the nights it can get very busy on the roads)

just my 5 cnts..

(And by the way, the russian border is not that bad anymore..... unless you purposefully start picturing military objects)

I am from Amsterdam and visited both the Rijks and maritime museums after their renovations. Took lots of pictures as well. Uploaded them on msw. Search museum. My mother used to live in Amsterdam, but has moved to Heerhugowaard. I need a car for visiting her and staying with friends.

I  know it's a lot of driving but this is the way we always do it in Europe. With a car we always see more. June in the north? More daylight, especially Iceland, can't wait. I remember when my dad worked in Helsinki and I would go on vacation in June. I would see the sun go down in the west and come up in the east all at the same time.

One last thing about driving. Where we live in the US, distances are minimal. Big country. Want to go somewhere? Expect to drive between an hour or two. The Midwest is vast. Chicago is an hour drive from my house, without traffic.

Marcus 

On 5/1/2017 at 8:59 AM, YankeeD said:

just my 5 cnts..

I know it's a lot of driving but this is the way we always do it in Europe. With a car we always see more. 

First 2 are pob version the last 2 are pof version. The yellow stuff is a combination of yellow glue and saw dust. Fills the holes and in some areas thickens the frames. This will be sanded. 

Marcus 

Utrecht pob1.jpg

Utrecht pob2.jpg

Utrecht pof1.jpg

Utrecht pof2.jpg

Thats true, you see a lot more and you are free to go as you like. Also know about how you feel about distances in the US. Used to work and travel there for years and have relatives living in Vancouver, but did not know you did it before. So you are used to the traffic and the way of driving. Makes it easier I guess.

Well, have a great holiday!!!!

Rgds Hans

Hey Piet - you're not working hard enough on your Utrecht. It looks like there is some fungus growing on it...:P 

I think you should skip your holiday and continue to work on the Utrecht this summer....

Hans   

What's in a name and vacantie is a Dutch thing. I may live in the US but I always take vacation. I work to live. Not live to work.

Marcus 

23 hours ago, cog said:

Name change Marcus? Or should I say Piet ;)

Haha - I mixed up some people - sorry Marcus (must be the fungus...)

Hans   

Have great vakantie Marcus!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hello Marcus!

Have a nice time in our old Europe!

Don't worry when you are going round Hamburg. There is a lot of trafic and there are big building sites on the Autobahn.

Best regards Hartmut

on the : Staatenjacht Utrech

At last finished:

Gianna a Pinco Genovese

HMS Agamemnon

• 2 months later...

Vacation was great and got lots of pictures especially from the maritime museums. Sorting out well over 3000 pictures of 6 ship museums and will show the highlights starting with a new thread. 

The following is a picture of the micro carving tools I purchased from my neighbor ($100). Bottom right are custom made carving tools. He made his own. So with some of the blanks, I can create some myself. 

He died last year and his wife is selling all his stuff. He was a watch maker and hoarder. 

He had 4 large Tupperware boxes full of watches some working most of them not and he collected face plates, all neatly put in envelopes in alphabetical order, thousands. He has an itty-bitty drill press and lathe from Germany. If she can't sell them, I'll make her an offer. Still need to look over the rest of it. 

Working on the Utrecht again. I am working on my carving skills with clay and plaster of paris. Also doing some deck items. Those carving tools sure come in handy. 

Marcus 

IMG_20170725_073628.jpg

1 hour ago, cog said:

Good to have you back Marcus. Glad you had a great holiday, missed you passing by on the A1 though. Looking forward to some posts!

Oh, that was you waiving. Couldn't stop as I was keeping up with the car in front of me. Europeans like to drive fast. 

Marcus 

On 25.7.2017 at 8:44 PM, cog said:

You call that fast ... :wacko: granpa in a wheelchair, although that implement would be easy to make a wheely

Yes, Carl is right! Fast on the german Autobahn?  In the 80. and 90. you can drive realy fast. But today? Most are 120km/h the aloud limit. But however, nice to have you back again.

Cheers Hartmut

on the : Staatenjacht Utrech

At last finished:

Gianna a Pinco Genovese

HMS Agamemnon

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Marcus!

I 'm looking forward to your ship model of Statenjacht 'Utrecht' .

I've never found the flute zeehaen's inside structure drawings on bow and stern.Later, I personally felt that the structure of zeehaen might be closer to a ship like Utrecht.Because there is no basis, so have been shelved, did not continue to make, maybe I'll change my mind and change it into a hull model.

Besides being outside most of the time, I have been working on the boat. 

I had a terrible time constructing the bow. Tried everything, but couldn't get the curve just right. Tried blocks and sanding them. Tried clay, no good. So I worked with card. Copied the last frame onto card and drew horizontal lines every 5 mm. Made a template from the stem and glued that on a piece of wood. Fitted the deck layer to the stem and left the rest empty. Cut the first layer out from card and fitted that between the stem and the frame. Kept cutting away with scissors until it fit. Did that with all of the layers. 

bow template 1.jpg

bow template 3.jpg

Once I got that and curve was there substituted the card for pieces of wood. This was a long process but it worked. 

Glued the bow to the frame and voila, I had it. Added some putty and a bit of sanding and I am really pleased with it. 

bow roughly finished 1.jpg