HMB Endeavour by kiwiron - FINISHED - OcCre - 1:54

Good stuff Ron - the deck and hatches look fantastic. Have a great Christmas. We'll be on the mainland for our summer holiday - always love it there!

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

nice work on the hatch covers........noticed that you've capped off the plywood decking ends......nice touch as well.   thank you for the Christmas wish...........I wish you and yours the same and more!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Ron...... the ship is looking real nice , good work on the hatches.... Just dropping by to wish you and yours a Merry Christmas and a Happy 

New Year!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

• 2 weeks later...

Happy new year,have a good 2014.1st Planking i re-did a bit at the aft end i was'nt happy with much better now.  

post-837-0-41661100-1388614041_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-33228400-1388614052_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-15667400-1388614063_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-79199100-1388614073_thumb.jpg

Current builds: HMS Victory - Caldercraft 1:72

Completed builds: HMB Endeavour - OcCre 1:54   HMS Supply - Caldercraft 1:64. Fishing boats, Bremen,  Palamos.

Hi Ron

Nice build so far.

Do you not use forceps or bull dog clips to clamp the planks together, this way you will have less sanding to do.

Just a thought .

Denis.

planking is coming along super!  Happy New years to you and yours!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Looks good Ron. I'm guessing you are going to use solid plugs for the bow and stern? A clever method to complete a difficult hull, if that is so. Look forward to updates.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Thanks for your comments men,off into another year i hope everyone has a good ,healthy one.Might even get the house fixed this year ha,ha,ha.Alistair i will be using balsa for the bow and ply for the aft end.I'll haveto watch the stern flow shape, the bow is straight forward with the 0.6mm 2nd planking.Denis i use clamps on some planks that are to far out but can easily sand the rest to come out ok.Just watching the flow of the planks from all angles on this ship,ok so far.ron.

Completed builds: HMB Endeavour - OcCre 1:54   HMS Supply - Caldercraft 1:64. Fishing boats, Bremen,  Palamos.

very nice Ron........never saw a stern built up like that........interesting ;)   good luck with the sanding  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks a lot Popeye,Not a bad idea with the sterm reinforcements much easier planking 0.6mm plank than 2mm.Just need to trim up the bow to look reasonable as well.

doesn't look like you'll need to use very much filler........just sand your contours and go with it.   I like the thin strip as well.......it behaves well and very easy to cut tapers.  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

1st sanding done need to fill just behind the front balsa filler,it looks a bit to flat there i need to round it off better.Also removed a stern piece that was blocking the fitment of the rudder up through the deck,lucky i found it now.

post-837-0-74061800-1389058410_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-91955100-1389058418_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-99178700-1389058424_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-84148100-1389058430_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-47576000-1389058488_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-77078400-1389058494_thumb.jpg

Nice job on the stern.  That had to be some tough/precise sanding.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks Augie and Greg,the stern was easy as it goes and keep checking the keel against it.Being hard wood to sand made it shape up slowly which was good.

great job!.......the stern came out especially well.  that is one heck of a blunt bow  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Coming along very nicely Ron, the next layer of planking will seem like a doddle after that :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks a lot gents,after sanding,filling sanding a few times she's about ready for second planking also a bit at the stern for 1st planking.

post-837-0-56379300-1389428936_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-66006800-1389428940_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-40687000-1389428945_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-40860800-1389428950_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-13112000-1389428954_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-60578800-1389428959_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-34135600-1389428963_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-69112000-1389428967_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-35777400-1389428971_thumb.jpg

Hi Ron

You have done a wonderful job on the sanding.

Looking forward to the second planking ( is it Walnut ? ) what glue are you going to use.

Have you decided on the colours you are going to use.

Keep up the good work, just lovely workmanship.

Denis.

Hi Ron,

That looks like a nice sound base for the second layer of planking. Very neat.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Thanks Denis and Slog.Below the wale will be Sapelli and above limewood.The glue i used last time was ados contact and super glue just on each end worked ok but may try pva on a couple to see how it goes.The pva i use is dry in about half an hour.Not sure on the colours yet blue near the bulwarks for a start anyway.

Looking good Ron, waiting to see how you plank the bow and stern, interesting build.

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

i'm waiting to see how i tackle the blunt bit and pointy bit as well.

Hi Ron,

The method I used for the 'blunt bit' was to use a couple of 16mm MDF formers.  I basically drew the deck curve on to the mdf for both sides and then cut the back side to the same curve so I could use clamps.  If I remember each former could hold 4 or 5 strips so after soaking and clamped in position to dry I had 8 or 10 strips waiting to use.

Having them drying in the forms instead of temporary pinning to the hull meant I could continue planking the hull whilst the next batch were drying to shape.  The good thing was even for the lower planks which don't match the forms were still roughly bent to shape so fitted also without forcing them as the strips were still flexible enough to adjust to the slightly different curve.  I can post up some photos if it isn't clear since they were lost from my log during the 'great crash'

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks Slog, great technique that would work really well, the 2nd planking is only 0.6mm thick so no need for a jig.The wale needs a jig though being 2mm limewood.Just put some diluted pva on the balsa at the front i read about that on someones log so when i plank it the balsa won't soak up the glue.

Hi Ron,

Just looking at your at the head on photo in post #89 above; you may want to double check the line of the wales where they hit the Stem.  I think they should be more horizontal in stead of reaching up to a peak and then curve down and round the bow to the sides.

Thats what I understand and tried to get it so on my build but like i say you might want to double check this incase I am wrong.

I used balsa on my bow also and don't remember having any issues with glue the planks to it.

Cheers

Slog

EDIT:

Check page 58 of the AOTS. This shows better what I am trying to explain.

Edited by Captain Slog