HMB Endeavour by kiwiron - FINISHED - OcCre - 1:54

she's looking awesome Ron! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi, im from tauranga and starting on the AL endeavour kit soon. I know its jumping in the deep end as a first build but i build geometric staircases for a living so like the timber bending challange! ill be watching your log like a hawk! It looks awesome and has my brain in overdrive about changes i can make to be more faithful to the real ship.

Hi Shaun,You'll enjoy it maybe not all the time until you see your progress.there are AL Endeavour build logs here,every kit is differant also the replica is differant to the aots etc books so it's a guess really to see how the original was.At least the name is the same.Maybe we should have been born 200 years ago to know for sure.Take your time if not sure ask there are very helpfull people here.

Current builds: HMS Victory - Caldercraft 1:72

Completed builds: HMB Endeavour - OcCre 1:54   HMS Supply - Caldercraft 1:64. Fishing boats, Bremen,  Palamos.

Tiller rigging done the same way as Cpt Slog,kept breaking blocks trying to put wire all the way around.Other odd bits done on the deck cleats,hatch cover,steps,boats lashing rings,anchor pulleys.Chain plates next,I got some Amati ones so time to check out everyone else's builds to see how it's done.

post-837-0-35786400-1413792551_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-62857200-1413792556_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-27707700-1413792562_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-13566300-1413792566_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-32568100-1413792571_thumb.jpg

Completed builds: HMB Endeavour - OcCre 1:54   HMS Supply - Caldercraft 1:64. Fishing boats, Bremen,  Palamos.

Coming along very nicely Ron; you'll have her fully rigged before you know it :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

looking better and better Ron.......beginning to look busy!  tiller rigging is sweet  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Details are really bringing her alive.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks a lot for all your great comments chaps.Denis i'm a complete amateur compared to a lot of other Endeavour builds.Pat looking at Gregs rigging not sure if i want to get to it to quick.Greg i fitted the kit supplied belaying pins but can get some more as i need them.Popeye the tiller rigging is from Cpt Slog and Shipaholic nearly at the end of the deck work.I seem to spent a lot of time re-glueing parts back on.Thanks Augie i'll leave off the anchors,small cannons,flagstaff i can see those being glued back on again and again.Just painting the deadeyes today.

• 4 weeks later...

One year into the build,got a bit further than I thought.Just waiting to get motivated again to assemble the deadeyes,chain plates etc.

post-837-0-62536100-1416174447_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just thinking about the angle to fit the chain plates,should i wait to put the mast on to see what the angle of the shrouds are?ron.

You've been busy Ron, she's coming on nicely. 

Mate, if not too late, one thing I have learned from experience is not to fit the capping or edge strip to the channels after you fit the deadeyes - just let them rest in the slot temp held in place with some painters or low-tack tape.  I glued the strip on and all was fine for many months until I started rigging.  When I fitted the shrouds to the deadeyes, a couple of my weaker chainplate joints gave way and I had to remove the edging to repair the chainplates.  That proved a little difficult and I was lucky doing any real damage but it was a real m%&*#$@ to sand the edging to align with the top/bottom edges of the outer contours of the channels again.

A lesson I have stored away for future builds :)

cheers

Pats

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

The way I've done it Ron is to stick a dowel in the mast hole and set it as close as possible to the fore/aft angle of the real mast.  Mark the height of the lower mast top on it.  Now just tie one string on there, long enough to go below your channel.  Now you can check the angle of the chainplates by simply moving the string to each deadeye position and carrying it below the channel to the hull.  It will also show you that you're avoiding any obstructions below the channel ---- like gunports!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Your build is looking awesome! Ron, a  lot done in a year's time. You'll be done before Christmas ;) (just wishful thinking) :D

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Thanks very much Pats,Augie and Frank now I know how to do the next step,great ideas.Frank it'll be done by xmas just don't know which one yet.ron.

The way I've done it Ron is to stick a dowel in the mast hole and set it as close as possible to the fore/aft angle of the real mast.  Mark the height of the lower mast top on it.  Now just tie one string on there, long enough to go below your channel.  Now you can check the angle of the chainplates by simply moving the string to each deadeye position and carrying it below the channel to the hull.  It will also show you that you're avoiding any obstructions below the channel ---- like gunports!

That's the way I did mine also.  

Your Endeavour is progressing nicely Ron.

Slog

Edited by Captain Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Thanks to Shipaholic,Banyan,Augie,Slog for your advice.I did different sizes of deadeyes to the instructions following Shipaholics ship.My channels are in a different place to Shipaholics that's why the angles are a bit different.

post-837-0-11737000-1417382413_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-52865000-1417382417_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-24720200-1417382422_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-68905600-1417382425_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-81659000-1417382429_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-52811400-1417382433_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-82213100-1417382437_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-41323900-1417382443_thumb.jpg

looking very nice.......when you cap them off,  are you going to go all the way around,  or just the fronts?   I just align the gun ports with the slots in the plate.  since a very small portion of the plate will locate forward of the mast {if at all},  it makes the location a bit easier to discern.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks Popeye,i'll just cap the fronts after I've done the shrouds.Good idea lining up the gun ports with the slots in the plate you know exactly where you are then.The vent covers worked out pretty good for me.Onto the ships boat for a change of scenery now.

Some odd bits done,handle for the small cannon.Spare top masts the ships boat sits on,lantern I should have painted inside first,rudder chains.Ships boat planked just needs sanding & some filler,the small pins were just the right size to hold the planks until the glue dries.Anchors I tried rope around the brass rings but couldn't get it to look any good,maybe try again later when I fit them.I removed two of the big cannons for now they lined up so in use they would have blown the deadeye and rope to bits,not very clever.

post-837-0-07957000-1418000613_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-07462000-1418000619_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-85668700-1418000625_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-41518800-1418000633_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-03831200-1418000638_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-54088400-1418000643_thumb.jpg

Looking good.  Love the anchors.  Now be careful around that stern.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Ships longboat done, I tried an oar from scratch turned out better than I thought so I kept going,i'll put the best ones on top.Onto to the bowsprit now and the drill lathe,a lot more detail than the Supply bowsprit.The small cannons,anchors will be going on near the end.

post-837-0-31442400-1418277629_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-79306500-1418277636_thumb.jpg