Lost parts - Corel Ranger, Keel and Deck

coastie

Earlier this year I bought a Corel Revenue Cutter Ranger. The hobby shop gave me a deep discount because the keel was badly warped. I said to mysel - no sweat I'll make a new one.  

For some unknown reason known only to my subconcisous I put the keel (along with the false deck) somewhere in the black hole of my garage. I think I placed them somewhere flat so they can straighten out.

I don't have much hope in finding them anytime soon, perhaps when I'm gone and buried someone will run across them and think "What is that?".

So my questions are:

A. Kind I get replacements from Corel, if so how?

B. Are the plans generally accurate to scale? I have access to a Laser cutter in which case I can have spot-on to the plan keel/deck/bulkheads.

Pieces will be made from solid basswood instead of ply.

Edited by coastie

If you measure some of the other parts up against the plans you will have point to work from. This is what I do when something is missing. ( have bought some uncompleted kits)

I've done that and for the most part the pieces are a tad bigger than the plans. Also I've notice that for the bulkheads the cutout profile are a bit outside the printed lines.

There were some differences between the plans sheet and the materials in my kit. Also, the instructions and the plans are at different scales.

The bulkhead framer matches the plans although the slot for the mount aft of bulkhead 7 does not match the plans.  My deck was about 5mm longer than the diagram on the plans.

Note that the plas are at 1:64 while the instruction book is 1:50

Edited by trippwj

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

There were some differences between the plans sheet and the materials in my kit. Also, the instructions and the plans are at different scales.

The bulkhead framer matches the plans although the slot for the mount aft of bulkhead 7 does not match the plans.  My deck was about 5mm longer than the diagram on the plans.

Note that the plas are at 1:64 while the instruction book is 1:50

I forgot about the scale difference between plans and instructions. Right now I'm using the 1:50 scale from the instructions to reconstruct the keel. I overlayed an outline of the 1:50 keel to the 1:64 plan and see the difference. So I'll stick with the instruction plan.

Instead of waiting for an access time to a laser cutter I went ahead and looked at my scroll saw again to cut the new pieces. When I tried earlier the blade was all over the place and could not make a precise cut. It dawned on me that the blade I was using was too light for the job. Replaced the blade with a thicker one and sure enough I was able to cut the keel out with minimal trimming and sanding.

Next I will cut out a new deck, first with heavy card stock to insure the holes for the masts will set properly in the false keel. I'll let you know in a day or two how it works.

Sometimes I don't trust my own skill enough to take that first leap. Now that I've done that it's full speed ahead.

Edited by coastie