Niagara by greatgalleons - FINISHED - Model Shipways

Hey Brian or should I say mr. President according to your photo , I use wood glue on all of the wood. Around the cannon ports and sweeps. I have a length of wood dowel of 5 inches with a needle at one end to apply small amounts of wood glue.

post-2054-0-80402600-1398040694_thumb.jpg

Edited by greatgalleons

REAL small amounts! I have some scrap wood and I took a small strip of 1/32 and tried my watered down glue idea. It doesn't leave leave any residue from glue squeezing out but I'm hesitant to trust it to be as strong. Whataya think? Think it'll be as strong? I'll try your idea but sometimes my hands shake just a little too much.

Brian

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

Hey, now we're talking. Alligator clip to hold it in place and pull the knife out. In other cases I can use those bent pins. Put them in, and rotate them onto the part when the part is where I want it.

THANKS!

Brian

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

I thought the president was... JustBlowinInTheWind. I have a great picture - or should I say apropos - of Sarah Palin I'll change it to soon too. 

In Dry Dock:

Lol! I only get the blues every 2 years.

In Dry Dock:

Incredibly clean rigging. Very well done!

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Incredible work. The stays look great! I might also mention, you work fairly fast. Niagara is looking very nice.

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

Painted the waterways and planksheer,  I tried Humbrol paint but it was too thin a paint and did not cover the scorch marks from the lazer cutting.   I went with Testors Matt color since it was thicker and covered the scorched marks.

I should have paid more attention to the image that showed the cans. Probably because I spent some 35 years building plastic everything, I went with testors enamel. Nice and thick. Looks like crap. Exactly what is that paint you used so I can order some and figure out how to sand all the paint off.

In Dry Dock:

I saw that you said you had a lot of wood left over. By any chance was any the planking around the gun ports and sweeps? If so, I'll pay for shipping on whatever you have.

Brian

In Dry Dock:

Once again, thank you!

In Dry Dock:

Are you alive and well? You haven't been on here in awhile. Did the admiral ground you?

Brian

In Dry Dock:

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely gorgeous. Well done. (:-)

MIchale

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Congratulations on a great looking model. It is a work of art. Thanks for sharing the build.

Russ

AJ, Your Niagara looks fantastic. You did an outstanding job on her.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

I could look at these photos for hours and still find sweet new details. 

Fantastic build and many thanks for the build log.  I continue to learn a lot from you... :)

Thank you.....

RR

Till next time.....     😎

Steve

Finished:              Artesania Latina Constellation;   Model Shipways USF Confederacy:  Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company

Current Build:     Syren's Winchelsea 

Congratulations on your fantatic model. Very fine work and the pictures do it justice.

Time to splice the ole mainbrace, I'll wager!

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, Pee-Shaw. Mine's going to look at LEAST 1,000,000,000 times... worse...

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

Thanks for the lessons :piratetongueor4:

In Dry Dock: