Niagara by greatgalleons - FINISHED - Model Shipways

the cannon ports are slightly bigger on the plans than are allowed for on the build,  I added a piece of wood to the tops of the bulkheads so I would have room to place some planking above the cannon ports as shown in the plans.   I made a cannon port jig to check for exact size for each port.

post-2054-0-60771700-1384905834_thumb.jpg

post-2054-0-23650500-1384905835_thumb.jpg

post-2054-0-14608000-1384905836_thumb.jpg

post-2054-0-72369900-1384905836_thumb.jpg

Hello A.J.

I'm following with interest! Your right, a great little ship with a interesting history. Looking good so far! oh and I like your work area. After 20+ builds it should looked lived in, (a little Dr. Doolittle-esk) ;)!

Warm Regards,

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

I notice that there is a gap between the planksheer and where the outer hull planking will be attached.  this is one reason why I have not painted the waterway and planksheers yet.   I will add some filler wood and file and sand them flush with the bulkhead also.

post-2054-0-36632300-1384982047_thumb.jpg

post-2054-0-00169300-1384982048_thumb.jpg

post-2054-0-47807000-1384982048_thumb.jpg

Edited by greatgalleons

I have made some planking pins using a 1 1/2 inch straight pin.  Its bent and soldered at the bends in order to hold the planks onto the bulkheads while the glue dries. I have been using these pins for years on double plank builds,  keeps me from putting holes in the final planking. 

post-2054-0-99391900-1385067998_thumb.jpg

Edited by greatgalleons

What a great idea, I wish I had thought of that for my build. I following you build with interest.

Best wishes

Jimbob (Richard)

A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words.

I was so tempted to get Niagara last time I saw it was on sale. Shes such a nice looking ship and there is so much available reference material on her. Brigs too appear to be so much more manageable, fitting into a smaller space but still giving you all that sail and rigging area. I'm wondering what my next project will be, I think I will have what I am working on done by midwinter at the latest and I have to think of something to build next. If I go with a kit I am certain it will either be Niagara or Pride of Baltimore.

Niagara USS Constitution 

Hi AJ

Going back to your comments about the Humbrol paints

I sand off the scorch marks and always apply white undercoat before putting the top coat on

The top coat could need 2 or 3 applications

Regards

Ken

Under construction  US Brig Niagara

Completed  HMB Endeavour - Caldercraft

Well , I think that after seeing the yellow paint on the build I have decided since this model is for my personal collection I'm not going to use the colors suggested. I just don't like yellow or green on my ships. I have tried several colors and will post the updates as soon as I find a suitable and complimentary set I,m pleased with.

Hello AJ,Kens idea of some undercoat to help cover the burnt areas,my be a good way to go.I"ve found a thinner painting with more coats was bringing better results than the thicker paint,Just my 2cents worth,your progress and workmanship is looking real good,have a good weekend.Edwin,

I noticed that the Niagara actually has a copper plated hull below the water line, I guess the green pain on the hull is supposed to simulate a patina copper hull, I may try some of the copper tape also. I'm using this Niagara as a practice model so I can get used to Modelshipways kits, I still want it to turn out nice but also get some experience in order to build the Syren after this.

post-2054-0-37193300-1385319121_thumb.jpg

Edited by greatgalleons

Great progress, A.J.  After closely examining the picture above, I do not believe that the current ship is coppered, because you can see the individual planks where the copper color is.  Also, the original ship was not coppered, as these ships (Niagara and her sister Lawrence) were built rather hastily and were designed for very short lifespans (I believe just the one battle of Lake Erie.)  As they were not ocean-going vessels, and had only a 9 ft. draft, copper would be an unnecessary and very expensive addition.  She would look good with a coppered hull, though, and it's your build... ;)

~Bob

Edited by rfolsom

I'm new to this site and being quite computer illiterate, I am really stumbling along here.

I don't know if the colors shown on your prints are the original colors or not. The colors shown are located on page 3 of the plans. I'm an absolute novice who is toying with the Niagara model.

I realize there are a lot of Niagra builds here on MSW with several techniques to creating the bulwarks. Normally consisting of placing the raw wood all in place and sanding down the finished area and then pain stakinly painting with brush or even airbrushing masked areas. I chose a different technique of pre painting the wood before cutting to size to fit onto the bulwarks because I,m just not as steady with a small paintbrush anymore.