Niagara by greatgalleons - FINISHED - Model Shipways

I think I'm too slow to win a race Bob.  Matter of fact when I start to get in a hurry I put the build down and walk away until I'm ready to work at an easy unrushed pace.  I enjoy building these ships, I don't want to finish them quickly. Too much time on my hands as it is.

Edited by greatgalleons

Hi AJ

Good work

I think most of us have fitted strips of wood between the

bulkheads where need , to provide all around support

for the deck fittings

Regards

Ken

Under construction  US Brig Niagara

Completed  HMB Endeavour - Caldercraft

I am at the point of installing the bow filler block.

I am having a little trouble with the shape (mostly due to the small size and precision needed on the cutting angles). But I will get that right eventually.  What is the best way to get clean notches for the knighthead and fore timberhead?  Any suggestions? or this just a cut and fill, mess up and try again process?

Hi salil648, I had the same trouble with the kighthead supports, what a pain, I literally just cut out the holes in the filler block and used lots of glue to fill any gaps the knighthead supports had. I would have thought Model Shipways would have had a better way of creating that area but I am finding out that a lot is left to your own ingenuity.   I am learning as I go with this kit, its frustrating at time.   I have committed to this build so I have to finish it any way I can.

this is the place in the deck planking were you decide to nib the planks along the nibbing strake, done right it looks great.  not sure if I'll will do it though, may settle for option 2 on the instructions.

I have seen others taper the aft planking along the waterline and I do not care for the results, it just looks messy no matter how accurate.  I will probably choose the easier and cleanest method of leaving the planks one size over the build.

post-2054-0-17656300-1385916595_thumb.jpg

post-2054-0-55251900-1385916602_thumb.jpg

post-2054-0-68498500-1385916607_thumb.jpg

Edited by greatgalleons

AJ,

Hi. Just discovered your build log. Very very nice, your attention to small details is very excellent. I will enjoy following along.

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

that sure is a beautiful Wasa build  Michael, amazing! Still my favorite ship.

Thanks much appreciated. It is amazing. Its restoration/resurrection opens such a great window into the 1600s for us modelers and the public in general

The Vasa is soo up your alley. Your build would be so excellent. 

PS: if you go for that sunken treasure, Corel is the weakest in regard to accuracy, as you probably noted being a fan of that ship.

MJD

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Your planking looks great AJ, nibbing them looks great too but if you mess it up, you rip out the waterway and start over. Plus they are a pain to cut accurately.....  Nice build!

hey there asat, I noticed your Harvey build a few months ago and I remember the alternate wood choices you use. very nice, I'll check into again soon as I get some time. I had the Harvey kit but have sold it with the rest of my collection, I only have the syren and derfflinger kits left for my final builds.

Edited by greatgalleons

Very nice AJ - Really enjoyed your Freisland build as well. I know you mentioned RA getting the best of you and only building a couple more ships... would it be any easier if you built in a larger scale? Like some of the 1/24 and 1/36 cross sections over in scratch built forum? I hope you can continue for a long time....

Lou

Very nice AJ - Really enjoyed your Freisland build as well. I know you mentioned RA getting the best of you and only building a couple more ships... would it be any easier if you built in a larger scale? Like some of the 1/24 and 1/36 cross sections over in scratch built forum? I hope you can continue for a long time....

Lou

You know I have not considered that option, I,ll look into some of those builds for inspiration. I was a portrait artist for 25 years and pick up model ship building because I have to maintain some form of art for my own sanity. Thanks for the info. Edited by greatgalleons

Awesome deck work, AJ.  I'm looking forward to that part of the build; one of my favorite parts.

I wish you well with the RA challenge;  Your passion for the hobby will help give you the will and means to carry on.

All my best,

~Bob

the instructions indicate laying the hull planking in several belts for the sake of accuracy and then painting the entire hull so you cannot actually see all the work you have done. I'll leave that to  younger or more capable modeler to achieve and plank it the way I know how.

post-2054-0-96999500-1386108476_thumb.jpg

Edited by greatgalleons

Hello, AJ,

In my previous builds I've always planked the deck before the hull.  With my Niagara, I was planning on planking the hull first, as the others have done, (and the instructions read).  I've noticed you've chosen the deck first.  Advantages, one over the other?  What do you think?

Great work, by the way..

~Bob

Hi greatgalleons,

I just picked up the Niagara and have started my own build, hoping to post it soon.  Your build is going great, I hope mine comes even close to the great work you are doing.  This is my first build of this sort, have built some RC sailboats in the past.  The one thing that strikes me is your go get'em attitude and for not following directions all the time, that is generally my strongpoint/weakness. 

I've gotten the bulkheads in and working the transom area and your log has been a grat help as have others here.

Thanks and I'll be watching.

hey there tongaman ,  hope to see your build on MSW soon,   I'm learning as I go with this particular kit, I'm not used to single plank hulls and its taking a while for me to plank it.  while waiting for the glue to dry on the planks I'm slowly working on the carronades.  good luck. a.j.