Niagara by greatgalleons - FINISHED - Model Shipways

Ah, thanks. How do you know a man has been married for a while? His wife let's him retire. - Me. Just now.

Brian Adams

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

• 2 weeks later...

AJ, your boat looks very nice. That's some very clean and precise work. The oars are top notch too.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Those are really popping now with the paint. I like your choice in colors too.

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Still a little confused. Page 3, you indicate that the gun ports on the plan are larger than allowed for on the build. If I measure directly off the plan I come up with a gun port 5/8" tall, which is the average of the bulwark height, and 1/16" too short to accommodate the 5/8" cannon port. But the plan showing the gun ports says except for bulwark and lower stern planks, the view is primarily pictorial and to use the planking layout for actual plank widths. If I add the 6 - 3/32" planks from the plank layout I come up with .5625" or 9/16" as the size of the gun ports. Add to that the 3/64" plank above the gun ports and I'm at 1/64" more than what I need on the height of the bulwarks, indicating I can file a little off the top of the bulwarks. Am I missing something, or did I finally catch a break?

Do recall what size you made your jig?

Brian

Edited by JustBlowinInTheWind

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

You do stunning work Greatgalleons, and your experience shows. I admire your confidence in deviating from the suggested order of the instructions. I'm on my first build and have just started planking, and know I'm many builds away from having that kind of feel for the craft.

I've got a novice's question about your use of wood filler on the hull. I keep seeing repeated references to the great efforts people go to in order to allow the individual planks to show through the paint on a finished kit. I'm sanding each plank to smooth out the grain and edges before installing, and I'm angling the corners to emphasize individual planks - as I've seen mentioned various times.

Doesn't your use of wood filler simply cover up the detail of the work you do on each plank?
How do you prep individual planks before installing, why are you using the filler, and how do you later achieve the look of a planked ship?  

Edited by grayarea

I don't get to technical with the measurements, if it looks ok that's what I'll go with. 

What pleases the eye must be considered.  After all this hobby is fun.

Keep up the great work. It sure pleases my eye. :D

S.os

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

Those stanchions look great! They are a great size for the scale and are a real credit to your skills.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

The finished hammock rails look very neat and precise. Great work!!!

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Hello again. At what point in your log did you install the cock rail on top of the railing? A lot of your pictures are missing.

Brian

In Dry Dock:

In Dry Dock:

Hey Brian , I used three long pieces of hull planking wood and wrapped each with some white cloth material. They are stacked on top of each other the length of each set of stancheons. Then I glued the length of rails on to the bends at the top of the stancheons . I'm not done with the hammock rails yet, I have one more length of wood to wrap with material but this time it has to be longer on one side so it overlaps the inner cock rail and is tied to the rope line to look correct.

I hav been following your building log since I found MSW. Very impressed by the quality of your work. I am also building the Niagara an am at the stage where I have all of the bulkheads glued to the frame. In your earlier photos I see what looks like a piece of wood pinned to the top of the bulwark frames running the length of the boat. Perhaps I missed it but I didn't see this on the plans. I see what you did and it maks sence but did you have to cut down the top of the bulwark frames to allow for the correct opening for the gun ports?

Thanks! Relying heavily on your log:)

Brian

In Dry Dock: