Niagara by greatgalleons - FINISHED - Model Shipways

I have ordered some gears online and am waiting to make a serving machine so I can complete the shrouds.  I've never used one but can see the advantage in it for making shrouds look better. mean while I'm just working on other areas till then.

Edited by greatgalleons

It all looks great. I can't wait to see the rigging get started. Great progress!

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Great work! This Niagara is really coming to life.

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Your build is very impressive.  Great workmanship!

I may have missed it, but how are you going to 'finish off' the gun rigging?  I think the ends of the lines are just laying on the deck.  What do you have in mind?

Thanks.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Very nice serving machine. That should really do the trick for your shrouds.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Where did you get the gears and what are you using for the serving? I've been following your build and am not too far behind. I'm about ready to start the planking at the inside bulwarks. Wasen't going to start this project for a while but when I found your log I was inspired to get started. I hope you don't mind but I downloaded some of your pictures and use them for reference, and I must say they have been very helpful. I look forward to seeing how you do your rigging.

Hey there jerry I'm using some Lego gears I purchased on eBay, and regular thread to go around the top of rope which goes around the mast head . The gears are 40 tooth gears.

No problem on downloading pics jerry. I wish I had some decent pics of the rigging on this build I could download for myself, having a little difficulty following the rigging instructions provided in the kit. Might take me some time to sort it out before I start. They are spread out over many pages and I'm kind of slow in understanding lately.

I do hope this build log helps though cause I have no clear references to refer to. Im learning as i go also. Thanks A.J.

Edited by greatgalleons

I kow the feeling. I just finished "Race Horse" by Sergal and the rigging, in my opinion, wasn't even close to what I think it should have been. I went as far as  the plans made sence then I made modifications from what I found in books of period ships. When I get to the rigging stage I am thinking about taking some colored felt tip markers and color coding the rigging plan to help me follow what line goes where. I am fairly new at rigged ships and just understanding the terminology has been a challange.

I notice the planks on the back of the ship are curved? How did you do that without edge bending?

After another 50 builds I hope to be 1/10th as good as you!!!

Brian

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

in order to get the foremast ready I have to place all the blocks to the crosstree and yards. 

the plans show different riggings specific to sail setup.   Raised sails, furled sails, raised yards and lowered yards. 

I have chose to use the lowered yard look as shown on the photo on the kit box provided which will have standing rigging.

I will try to get the yards and shrouds in place before gluing the whole foremast set in place.

post-2054-0-68074300-1397577590_thumb.jpg

post-2054-0-02732300-1397577599_thumb.jpg

I'd invite myself down to watch you for a while, but I suspect I'd just get jealous!

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Beautiful rigging. You've really got the details nailed down too.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Happy Easter,

I'm working on the 1/32 Sq strips around the cannon and sweep ports. Wondering if you use ca glue, or what? Thin out wood glue with a little water and brush it on? Inquiring minds need to know.

Brian

In Dry Dock: