Pride of Baltimore 2 by Bill Hime - Model Shipways - 1:64 scale

Wow, FINALLY!!! It's here! I chose the Pride of Baltimore as my side build while building the USF Confederacy. I'm waiting to see if the Confed might be marked down during the holiday shopping season. So I ordered the Pride so I can dig in and get the doors of the C.W. Hime Shipyard open for business.

Today's the day! This is a Model Shipways kit. I ordered it through ebay from a wholesale hobby outlet. As advertised, everything remains in it's original packaging. It even had an enclosed invoice dated 1999. 

Tonight the Admiral and I are taking inventory of the kit. I'm also paying close attention to the integrity of the wood since this kit has been sitting since 1999.

I'm already planning on replacing the Basswood planking/decking with Boxwood. as of now, I do not plan on painting the Pride except for her mast where black is noted.

I have built cabinets of the highest grade. I have done historical restoration in libraries, manor homes and more. But I do not kid myself for a moment, this is a very different endeavor. Here, among all of you, I find myself once again an apprentice.

I look forward to the challenge and most of all learning, adding to my skill set, and perusing what has beckoned me my entire life, building tall ships.

I welcome all of you to pick up a chisel, choose your favorite mortise and set a peg!

Warm Regards,

Bill Hime

post-7772-0-78839100-1384571956_thumb.jpg

post-7772-0-86860800-1384572081_thumb.jpg

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

I'm in!  Kit looks to be in prime condition.

Now unroll those plans and flatten 'em out :)

Edited by Augie

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Augie,

Lol, yeah those plans have been rolled up since 1999, they were tighter than a cuban cigar! So we reverse rolled them, we are letting them sit overnight and tomorrow we will lay them out and press them. Tomorrow I will start building my ship board, which will be used throughout the construction process with multiple attachments. I will post pictures of my build board as I know everyone is always looking for a new idea. 

Kenr,

Thank you so much for joining. I am truly excited to get started, but as I said, I walk in this as a humble apprentice and I look forward to everyone's input.

Warm regards, 

Bill

Well, the itemization is finished; all items accounted for and in good shape! Thanks to the admiral's involvement, every stick and piece has been labelled, numbered and packaged in it's groups for easy access during the build. I can't thank her enough, what a great start :)!

Bill

post-76-0-67358200-1384584639.gifI hope I made it to the front row..... and someone's already setup the popcorn machine...post-76-0-57898100-1384584707.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Don't forget to return the favor when her ship comes in :)

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hi Bill - I built the Pride myself a couple of years ago, with the help of Bob Hunt's practicum. I highly recommend it although a bit pricey. I'd also suggest a book, "Pride of the Sea", which details the building of the first Pride and it's tragic demise. I'll look forward to following your progress.

Steve B.

Steve Barth

Douglasville, Ga. USA

Current build:     AL King of the Mississippi

Previous builds:  Midwest Skipjack

MS Pride of Baltimore

MS Bounty Launch

Bluejacket USS Monitor

Bluejacket CSS Virginia

Hello Everyone!

Wayne, Mark, Harvey,

There are no back row seats. That's why the shop is in the living room, Lol! Front row for everyone!

Now where is that popcorn machine?????

Augie,

I bought the Admiral a new front door today. Installing it tomorrow before football starts at noon ;)

Steve B.

Thank you for following! That's great to hear that someone else has built the Pride of Baltimore. Haven't been able to find any build logs on her. I look forward to your input. And thanks for the book suggestion. I love researching  and totally becoming immersed in a project.

Well, tomorrow after a morning door install for the Admiral, I will get busy on my build board. Hope to have it done and be cutting out bulkheads and doing some initial dry fitting.

Warm Regards,

Bill 

Well with a new front door behind me and some 12 hour shifts knocked off the calender, it's time to get back to the shipyard.

The Admiral and I have all the lumber measured, counted and tagged. Same with all the misc hardware. I laid out my build board today, hoping to put the router to it tomorrow.

Tonight, numbering bulkheads and cutting a few out before I have to go to work at 10:30pm. I will put up some pics this weekend showing my steps, keeping in mind that this log would be viewed by someone new to ship modeling, (like me ;)). It will also keep me in short accounts and not getting ahead of myself.

Warm Regards,

Bill

Ahoy Bill :D

Looking forward to your progress

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Let's go!  And Bon Voyage.

Edited by Augie

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Great to see you started Bill, and lucky that there are only front row seats here. :) I look forward to enjoying the ride with you.

Looking forward to your build Bill and the first progress pictures.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

As you can see, the shipyard has finally come to life!

post-7772-0-20837900-1385608346_thumb.jpg

Here you can see that everything has been inventoried, separated and tagged.

post-7772-0-95120900-1385608468_thumb.jpg

Upon examining the laser cut sheet stock, I found the center keel sheet and the bulkhead sheet to a lesser extent, were cupped. Something I will keep in mind when gluing and squaring the hull frame.

post-7772-0-19046100-1385608745_thumb.jpg

post-7772-0-46457700-1385608751_thumb.jpg

post-7772-0-51020800-1385608756_thumb.jpg

Next, then, all the bulkheads and the center keel have been removed, with the center keel given a light sanding. Bulkheads have been lettered and each marked with a reference line.  

post-7772-0-21095900-1385608975_thumb.jpg

At this point, I have put a lot of thought into changes I want to make to this kit. I plan on incorporating Wenge Wood into the keel and rudder, as well as the deck railings and plank sheers. I will also be using boxwood instead of basswood for the hull planking and I will be using Yellowheart  for the decking. Here below are an example of two of the woods.

post-7772-0-58954800-1385609224_thumb.jpg

post-7772-0-82729500-1385609240_thumb.jpg

I am going to cut out the keel pieces and plank sheers and use them as a finishing template for these pieces. I will use the laser cut outline, then, to lay the pieces out directly on the hardwood for cutting so they will be larger than needed. From here they will be rough cut and finished. Below, you can see that I have laid out dimensional stock on each of the pieces to determine how much wood would be needed and what size pieces of wood I would fit them into.

post-7772-0-64354700-1385609618_thumb.jpg

post-7772-0-57194700-1385609623_thumb.jpg

post-7772-0-50052500-1385609628_thumb.jpg

So tonight, I will be gluing up the center keel and pressing it under some weight as it dries. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving so it'll be back to the shipyard on Friday for some bulkhead gluing. Until then, happy Thanksgiving to all you guys and have a great holiday!

Warm regards,

Bill

Hi Bill

If that false keel is still warped after it is joined you must flatten it. I had this problem and got the keel flattened by wetting it, heavily weighting it and drying it several times over. It finally flattened. DO NOT put the bulkheads onto a warped keel - it will cause you no end of problems later. I'm sure you know this.

Look forward to your build and the interesting timbers you are planning to incorporate into it. I used boxwood for my hull and it is a very nice timber to work with, so much better than walnut which is, comparatively, brittle and splinters more easily.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Alistair,

Thanks for popping in! Yes, you are right about needing to get the center keel (false keel) straight. If I need to address it after gluing and pressing, I will most likely score the offending areas, fill with glue and press until dry :)

Warm Regards,

Bill

Hi Bill,

Sorry that I'am to late to the party.

The start is good.

I will follow you further on in silence ( ok, now and then I will comment )

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hi bill, good to see you starting. I have to agree about flattening out the bulkhead former before doing anything else as per alistair, I have found that soaking the ply in water and then drying out over a day or so works well, just don't soak the ply to long as the glue between the plys will make it come apart.

Whatever way you decide to do it, just make sure the former is perfectly strait or you will be in for trouble.

Look forward to watching your build.

Ben

You're off to a great start, Bill.   I agree with with others about the keel and being straight.   Oh.. while you are at it, scatter some sawdust on that work area so the rest of us don't feel bad.  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

You two have done a fine job with the workshop.  VERY nice.  And that's a great looking selection of wood.

And yup, straighten that bulkhead former.   We don't want you building a banana.

Best of the Holiday!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Love your work area ! Can't wait to see your work.

Eric

Current build(s) ;

AL San Francisco II

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/862-san-francisco-2-by-eric-al-190-sport29652/

MS Rattlesnake

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/868-rattlesnake-by-eric-model-shipways-164-sport29652/page-2

Sitting on the shelf : MS Constitution, MS Sultana,

Wish List : MS Essex, Confederacy, and Syren, and a Victory kit by someone ?

"80% of the time it works every time."

So here is last night's dry fitting of the bulkheads, as you can see, bulkheads G-K do not sit down in their slots. 

post-7772-0-59563500-1385863949_thumb.jpg

post-7772-0-86482000-1385864115_thumb.jpg

post-7772-0-23802900-1385864129_thumb.jpg

The next series of pictures are of the center keel after pressing. She still is a good 1/32" off of being straight, so I am going to score, glue and clamp her for about 24-48 hours and see how that comes out.

post-7772-0-66542600-1385864323_thumb.jpg

post-7772-0-96228700-1385864363_thumb.jpg

post-7772-0-39501200-1385864749_thumb.jpgpost-7772-0-96042500-1385864761_thumb.jpg

In doing all this, the biggest problem I have come across tonight is that bulkheads G-K are significantly cupped. Pressing them is not out of the question but the bigger issue I am running into, is that unlike newer kits, my bulkhead and false keel are all made out of true lumber and are not plywood. Fixing plywood is much simpler than fixing such thin pieces of wood that have sat in a box since 1999. So with that said, we will see how the keel turns out when I pull it out of the clamps, scoring is not an option as with the bulkheads I would have to run with the grain, whereas with the keel I was running across the grain. In the meantime I will be cutting out my keel, stem and stern post and making templates to transfer them onto the Wenge wood that I have selected as their replacement. 

Any thoughts are more than welcome. Looking forward to hearing what you have to say, in the meantime, I'll keep working away because there is always something that needs to be done in the shipyard.

Warm regards,

Bill

Great you picked your ship Bill!  Hope for some pics soon!

Casey

"I drank what?" - Socrates

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

I always wanted to see Wenge wood on a model ship!

Casey

"I drank what?" - Socrates

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift